1985 Bayliner 2450 Ciera Sunbridge Restoration underway!

Status
Not open for further replies.

captmello

Captain
Re: 1985 Bayliner 2450 Ciera Sunbridge Restoration underway!

Was out poking around the swim platform trying to think of how to best repair this.....
Any ideas?

There are actually two cracks...one on either side of the ladder on the starboard side. I noticed it flexing while the wife was climbing up(she's not large). So I dove in the water and found the cracks....
Needless to say, we used the other side of the swim platform the rest of the weekend.

I may start removing the swim platform this evening. I wanted to do this anyways, as a few of the bolts were replaced with NON stainless hardware. I had planned just to remove the platform and replace and re-seal up the hardware. Now I've got cracks to address. Dang It!!!

May also remove trim tabs just to rebed the screws and make sure everything on the transom is sealed up.

How should I approach fixing this?

One pic is overall of swim platform, other is a close up of one of the cracks.

Is the cracked platform the one with the kicker bracket? That must have taken some force to crack it.

Ciera2450

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Its the side opposite the kicker bracket. No idea how it cracked....the ladder step has been broken since I bought the boat. cracked on either side of the extension poles for it.....Something must've hit the boat or a really heavy dude owned it before me!

Seacas,
sorry i do have plans for a kicker. May take a while, but there are plans! lol
I used marinepartsexpress.com and go2marine.com both places shipped quickly. I think I received exactly a week after placing order from both places.
I have the OEM manuals for the drive and engine if you need them.
Also, have schematics of all drive parts. (if you have the 225d/280)
Ton's of places have the ujoints....should replace the drive bellows while you've got it removed also if you weren't planning on it already.

As for what else it could be.....hard to say.(and i'm no mechanic)
Are the steering fork bushings ok? how bout the bolts/bushings connecting the fork to the helmet? Also the helmet pin on the upper housing?

You can loosen the clamp on the drive bellows and check out the ujoints with a flashlight....how do they look?
If they are rusty or water came out of the bellows, replace them.

Can you pinpoint where the humming noise is coming from?

seacas

Cadet

My outdrive is a 275 but I will take you up on your offer for the manual and schematic. I already have the one for the engine.

Can't pinpoint the location, but will check the bushings you mention. Will take a look at the ujoints in the AM. Didn't already in fear of ruining the bellows which I just found out from the previous owner were recently replaced.

Hoping to go to Lake George Friday for the weekend. Don't want to have to worry about the universals but I also don't want to miss the trip. I just found the cross refrence thread and will check my local parts stores for the U joints if they look bad.

Really appreciate your help!

Ciera2450

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Crap.....
I'm sorry man, I spoke too soon. The manual I have is for 280 thru dp models....It won't apply to the 275.
Marinepartsexpress.com has schematics......I saved all the ones for my drive for future reference and part numbers.

Don S. in the volvo forum may be able to help you find the drive manual. He posted a link for mine.

If your careful, you won't damage the bellows. ie. don't jab a screwdriver thru them! lol
Just loosen the clamp on the upper drive housing and the bellows should slide forward enough to look inside. A flashlight makes it easier.

Do you by chance have a picture of the head in yours? I have pretty much gutted mine and looking for some ideas for recovering things. It had some old ugly linoleum type stuff.

Ciera2450

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Napa will likely have the ujoints btw.

seacas

Cadet

I will check NAPA . Found the manual Don posted on your U joint thread which gives me an idea of the disassembly process which looks to be fairly simple. I don't have any pictured of the head but can take some tomorrow.

seacas

Cadet

I just went to the Marinepartsexpress.com website and looked at the outdrive pictures. Judging by the exhaust I believe that mine is the 280. Somebody put the 275 shifter cover on it.

The schematic is great! I have learned alot in the last few minutes of looking at it.

Ciera2450

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I'd really appreciate the pics. Thanks!

Also, tackling the drive intimidated the hell out of me at first....it turns out it really wasn't that complex.
If your just replacing the bellows and ujoints, you don't need to remove the entire drive. Just the upper unit.
I removed the whole thing because I replaced all the bushings and such. It really did help to "tighten" up the play I had in the drive but it also added another $150 or so to the parts list. For freaking bushings.

Did you see what happened to my paint job on the drive?
I'm still steaming about it. It looked pretty good, before this past weekend.

seacas

Cadet

I didn't see it but read that it got scratched. It seems I am always in a rush and this stuff happens all of the time. Everything I do comes out nice because I do it twice LOL. The picture I did see looks great! Will be doing mine soon, it looks terrible. I put a little stripper on it and the paint comes off with a little elbow grease.

I can't get over how much the schematic helps understand everything. I had an idea but now I know for sure what the parts are such as the helmet.

Ciera2450

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Yes sir, the schematics are invaluable. They also include part numbers which help greatly when searching for parts. I went to marinepartsexpress.com and saved every single schematic that applied to my engine and drive. They come in very handy.

Ciera2450

Lieutenant Junior Grade

seacas,
You are the man sir. That mequiars ultimate compound is amazing stuff. I started on the dash this evening. This is one coat....
Before and after shots.
I'll do another couple passes and see how she looks.
Thanks for the tip!

Attachments

• oxidized dash.jpg
    oxidized dash.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 2
  • shiny dash2.jpg
    shiny dash2.jpg
    135.7 KB · Views: 2
  • cabin view.jpg
    cabin view.jpg
    140.7 KB · Views: 2
  • shiny dash.jpg
    shiny dash.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 2
  • oxidized dash2.jpg
    oxidized dash2.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 2

Ciera2450

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Whoops, the pics are all mixed up. You can tell before and after tho..

seacas

Cadet

Yes, it is great stuff! Your dash looks better than mine. Did you use a buffer? Better do mine again. Today I used it on the tinted plexiglass windows and they look awesome!

Purchased u joints at a local parts store for $13.89 ea. Tore it apart at 10 am and it was back together by 12. Piece of cake. Old joints looked OK but still changed them. PDS seems tight. A little piece of mind to rule out the two thing that could be catastrophic. All bushings seem pretty tight. Any other ideas on the humming noise in turns?

I am sorry but I forgot the pics of the head. I am leaving for the lake tomorrow but will get back to you by Monday with pics.

Thanks for your tips and inspiration!

Ciera2450

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Have a great time at the lake!

I didn't use a buffer. Just by hand on the dash.

Did you replace the ujoint bellows? and the two orings under the upper unit? Also, the dipstick and fill plug need new orings also. They WILL leak if not replaced.

As far as the humming goes.....see if you can pinpoint where the noise is coming from while your out this weekend.
Catch some fish!

Ciera2450

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I had a great couple days at the lake.
Back to working on the boat.
I got some pics of the seating set up I was talking about.
I've gotta remake the cushion my brother is sitting on, It's not enough cushion and hurts the ol' bum. I used the original foam from the L shaped cushion, just cut it to the new dimensions. I'm going to add another layer of foam and sew up a new cover.
The back rest with the cupholders is 1/2" plywood all sealed in epoxy. The cupholders have drains that drain them onto the self draining deck.

The cover was a real pain to slide on once I had it all sewed up....the corners came out kinda funky and pointy, but I'll live with it. It's stapled on and glued on the back so its not coming off. lol
Hopefully get something going on the new dash panel this week....

backofcornerseating.jpgcornersbackrest.jpgcrackeddashpanel.jpg

Ciera2450

Lieutenant Junior Grade

The deck washdown hose runs into the "box" and once I find a handle and hose set up I like, it will mount on the back side.
I'm looking for a "flush mount" type so it doesn't stick out....
It's hollow in there aside from the 2x2's at all the corners.

seacas

Cadet

Looking great. Good idea for the washdown. I am sorry I forgot the pics of the head again.
Just got back from Lake George and everything went well. Slept in the boat for 2 nights (already saved $250 by not renting a cabin LOL) I did change the universals, and all seals. Didn't have extra bellows but the ones on the boat are 1 year old and not leaking at all. Did get some water in the lower unit but oil looks to be coming out of the seal behind the shifting mechanism or "Eccentric piston" as indicated in the schematic. Will replace it tomorrow.

As for the humming noise, I took the camper top down and it sounds as smooth as could be. With the top up it must just amplify the noise of the motor and outdrive.

duane.mosley

Cadet

seacas your friend dave looks like someone that i know. are you from northern kentucky? i think i worked with dave when he was with don reilly. sure as hell looks like him. nice looking boat by the way.

duane.mosley

Cadet

cierra 2450. looking good. i just started my restoration on a 1987 cierra 2455. got bad news today and noticed the block was cracked. oh well, time to pull the 305 and put in a 350.

seacas

Cadet

seacas your friend dave looks like someone that i know. are you from northern kentucky? i think i worked with dave when he was with don reilly. sure as hell looks like him. nice looking boat by the way.

No, We are from Massachusetts.

Status
Not open for further replies.