1985 Bayliner 2450 Ciera Sunbridge Restoration underway!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ciera2450

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: 1985 Bayliner 2450 Ciera Sunbridge Restoration underway!

Thats a great deal if everything is in good shape. I have the 305 also ...it gets the boat moving pretty good. 37-38mph GPS
Post some pics when you get her!
Check the decks in the engine bay...every similar 2450 I've seen they were rotted or rotting. Mine had water tanks and underneath the tanks was rotted. Not really structural but rot spreads if you don't get rid of it.
Is yours a sunbridge model?
Been looking for a radar arch.

seacas

Cadet

I called bayliner with the hin number. They said it was a 2450 Sunbridge but it does not have a radar arch. I wish it did. Chuck from Bayliner also emailed the specs and manual right after our conversation. The person I bought it from is a great craftsman and very meticulous. I felt around for rot and it all seemed sound. There are no cracks around the motor mounts. There are a few spidercracks in the gelcoat on the starboard side but that is all I could find for damage. The blue stripe is quite faded but the white is still somewhat shiny.

I am happy to hear about the top speed, I was thinking more like 30 mph. What do you tow yours with? I have a Chevy Avalanche 1/2 ton which I hope will be fine.

seacas

Cadet

bayliner1.jpg
bayliner2.jpg

Ciera2450

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I tow with a Dodge Ram 1500 hemi. It does the job, but a bigger truck would be much better. The biggest thing is stopping. Make sure the trailer brakes work!!! Mine don't, I can speak from experience. I drove the boat home 200 miles with no brakes. NOT A GOOD IDEA
Trailer is getting refurbed while I'm working on the boat.

I pulled her outta the water on a super steep ramp (sailboat ramp) and the hemi pulled it right up the hill.
Your avalanche should do fine.

Sharp looking boat btw! I think I've seen one like that before! lol

Ciera2450

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Well guys,
Drive is back on the boat...finally.

i've gotta button up a few things with it yet but its on!

I'll get back to the cosmetics here soon hopefully.

Ciera2450

Lieutenant Junior Grade

:D
Didn't get any pics.....

However, today I installed a new fuel sending unit as the original was broken.
Followed directions for new one,measured depth of the tank, installed new unit... Cutting the shaft and float arm to the proper lengths as the instructions indicated...
Very simple install and now I have a working fuel gauge!:eek:

Friscoboater

Captain

Finished up paint on the drive...took off masking tape and such.
I think it turned out pretty good!
Waiting on all the parts for the drive...should be here Monday according to UPS.

Still open to ideas for the new dash panel.....Anyone use wood? I think wood might look nice...although I have no other wood trim aside from the stern rail (which I haven't built yet)lol
Using wood may be a pain in the but to refinish if needed tho.....hmmm
Open to suggestions...I'd like to get something done on that dash panel this weekend.

Here's a pic of the drive!
View attachment 94605

Did you load it in a spray gun?

Ciera2450

Lieutenant Junior Grade

No sir. Just the rattle can primer and paint.

I have the rust. prof. in the gallon can also and was going to spray it with a gun. Still may in the winter when I remove the engine for PDS bearing replacement.
I'll likely give it a quick sanding and gun spray it....adding the hardener as suggested. I think the hardener will help a great deal, the paint is so slow to cure without it.
I didn't remove transom shield or paint it. I'll get that when with the engine out. Then I can get a good look at my transom also.

Anyone have more ideas for dash panel replacement? Still kicking around ideas.....Was thinking of wood but that'd be a pain to maintain. It WOOD look nice tho!

Ciera2450

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Been out compounding and polishing today....
WHAT A DIFFERENCE!
You can see the line where I stopped...Man, lot o' work, but sure does shine her up!

Attachments

• compoundedport1.jpg
    compoundedport1.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 1
  • compoundedportside.jpg
    compoundedportside.jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 1

captmello

Captain

That does look nice and shiny. Did you wet sand or just buff with compound?

Ciera2450

Lieutenant Junior Grade

just buff with compound. Twice.
On to starboard side today.
Took all day just to do one side!

Ciera2450

Lieutenant Junior Grade

OVEN CLEANER

Working on removing my bottom paint thats missing in most areas.....
With quite a bit of hesitation, I used cheapo dollar general heavy duty oven cleaner...

I tested in a few spots as to how long to leave it on.....
It seems about 30min. is perfect.
I scrub with a scotchbrite and some purple power...rinse, scrub, rinse...
It works beautifully!
I think a compounding or four, and some polish and wax, and it'll look decent....

My arms hurt.

Friscoboater

Captain

Ohhhhhhhh brotha I feel you pain!!!!!

seacas

Cadet

Any updates? I could use a little inspiration to keep going on mine. I hope this is not considered hijacking your thread. If so let me know and i will delete.

Finally got mine somewhat cleaned up and out on the maiden voyage today. Only problem was that the oil in the outdrive was completely white. I have all of the seals to rebuild it. I found that the drain plug had no seal on it and was somewhat loose, can't believe I didn't loose it. The water may have come in through the drain plug but for peace of mind, I want to go through it and change whatever bearings I can, bellows, and the universal joint. Never done it before but I am confident that with the help of this forum, BOC, and the manual I can get through it.

Top speed at 4300 rpm was 39 mph on the gps. I believe the prop is a 15x19.

I Guess it looks good enough that my buddy Dave wanted his picture taken with it LOL.
maidenvoyage.jpg

I used meguires untimate compound on the dash and gauges and the results were unbelievable. Could hardly see the gauges and now they look like new.
boatdash.jpg

Ciera2450

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Sharp looking boat seacas!
I'm working on the dash panel myself. Going to replace the whole thing, I'll get some photos up soon.
Was at the lake all weekend.
I have a thread on replacing the bellows if your gonna tackle that job.....its really not too tough.

What that across your stern? the hand rail? I've got to make one as mine is missing.....

Also, while swimming this weekend, I noticed the swim platform developing a crack on the starboard side near the ladder. Gonna have to do something with that to prevent it cracking further....

Ciera2450

Lieutenant Junior Grade

seacas,
the black all around my dash area on both sides is faded and oxidized.....
Was yours like that? did the meguiars bring it back to the shiny black I see in your photo?

seacas

Cadet

seacas,
the black all around my dash area on both sides is faded and oxidized.....
Was yours like that? did the meguiars bring it back to the shiny black I see in your photo?

Yes, the Meguiars worked miracles. My whole dash was grey and now it is black again. I could hardly see the gauges and now they are like new. They have the meguiars at Walmart.

My swim platform is in rough shape on the starboard side, been looking for a replacement.

The piece on the stern is a rod holder and I will mount my downriggers to it.

I am going to check out your thread on the bellows right now.

Everything sounds smooth when going in a straight line but when I turn there is a humming noise. Is this normal or are my universals shot? I do not feel any vibration just some noise that it doesn't make going straight.

Ciera2450

Lieutenant Junior Grade

The humming noise could be several things. Ujoints are likely.
Mine gives a little "hum" when WOT and cranked ALL the way to one side....I'm told that is somewhat normal.
I don't drive WOT in circles very often so I'm not too concerned about it.

I removed the L shaped seating from the cockpit area also. It really opened things up when you have a few folks on the boat! I'll get some pics up. I'm Still working on sewing the seat and backrest cushions for the bench seating I will put back in there. I made a corner back rest, similar to the original, with three cupholders in it. The deck washdown hose will eventually get mounted on the back side of it also. I have that installed in the boat already. Just need to finish the cushion covers. I'm not a seamstress. I have a "functioning" cover for the seat now, but I'm not happy with and am going to redo it. Hopefully this week.

Seacas, do you by chance have speakers mounted somewhere above deck? I only have them in the cabin and kicking around locations for some 6x9
's........I'm leaning toward the stern wall on either side of the bench seat. Any other suggestions?

Ciera2450

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Was out poking around the swim platform trying to think of how to best repair this.....
Any ideas?

There are actually two cracks...one on either side of the ladder on the starboard side. I noticed it flexing while the wife was climbing up(she's not large). So I dove in the water and found the cracks....
Needless to say, we used the other side of the swim platform the rest of the weekend.

I may start removing the swim platform this evening. I wanted to do this anyways, as a few of the bolts were replaced with NON stainless hardware. I had planned just to remove the platform and replace and re-seal up the hardware. Now I've got cracks to address. Dang It!!!

May also remove trim tabs just to rebed the screws and make sure everything on the transom is sealed up.

How should I approach fixing this?

One pic is overall of swim platform, other is a close up of one of the cracks.

Attachments

• crack in swim platform.jpg
    crack in swim platform.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 2
  • swim platform.jpg
    swim platform.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 1

seacas

Cadet

The stern wall is where my speakers are mounted. As for the crack, I would use some good epoxy like marine tex, scuff up the inside of the ribs on the underside of the swim platform and the inside of the crack. Then glue a chunk of hdpe or some type of plastic or even some rot resistant wood such as Mahogany to the bottom side between the ribs. A tight fit and alot of epoxy would be great and should hold up for quite some time. Obviously the plastic wouldn't rot but the epoxy would stick better to the mahogany. You could also coat any exposed wood with resin.

What would be the quickest place to order the ujoints from? What else could it be other than the pds bearings. If you are not using that bracket for a kicker motor I may be interested in buying it.

Status
Not open for further replies.