1985 Bayliner 2450 Ciera Sunbridge Restoration underway!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ciera2450

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: 1985 Bayliner 2450 Ciera Sunbridge Restoration underway!

Thanks proshadetree...
I'm still on a fence about the wood. I can easily get the cap and hull touching together, except for the corners. Would I be better off to actually glue the two pieces together?
or better off to put the wood spacer in?
i've spent the last two evenings scraping off all the old sealant and cleaning the area up. I'm ready to proceed once I decide what to do.

proshadetree

Lieutenant Commander

I would reinstall some kind of spacer. If it meets in the middle you still have pressure points on the edge. This could lead to a stress fracture in the future. I think I would used a composite and just glue it in and then seal the area. No rot and no chance of it with that method.

Ciera2450

Lieutenant Junior Grade

You've convince me sir. I'm going to lowes to pick up some composite. I have a choice between "trex" decking stuff (which is quite thick and I'd have to plane down) or some PVC "moulding" type stuff (3/4" thick which should be a perfect fit), is either one better than the other? The pvc has a super smooth finish, I'm unsure if PL will stick to it, although it will be bolted also.

proshadetree

Lieutenant Commander

I had some pvc board glued to a wall around a mirror in my old rv lasted for 10 years that way. The extra support from bolting it on and it should never move.

Ciera2450

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Sweet! Thanks for the advice...
I'm going to pick up the stuff now. I'll get pics of the repair when completed.

Then i'll get to building the cockpit seating area. Again. lol

Ciera2450

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Howdy all!
i've got the stern/cap joint glued and bolted together. It worked out very well!
I used a PVC trim board for lattice fencing as a spacer between the two. It was 1/4"+ in thickness, 2" wide and 8' long. I trimmed the piece to fit and used masking tape to hold it in place to drill pilot holes for the bolts thru it.
Once pre-drilled and the area clean and wiped with acetone....
I applied PL premium to the gap on the Hull, and also a bead along the spacer piece on the outside to contact the cap. I carefully slid the piece into place and inserted several bolts to hold it in place. I had my son hop in the engine room and hold a wrench so I could tighten down the bolts. After about 8 bolts tightened down across the stern, I sent the boy inside (he is 10 and impatient) and used vice grips to hold the nut on the inside. I installed 14 bolts beneath the rubrail, joining the cap and hull together snugly.

Here the cap and hull begin to come together. I was wiping out the excess PL as the two pieces clamped together.
stern pulled together.jpg

The two pieces are fitted tightly togther! yay!
stern pulled together2.jpg

I have to trim back the rubrail a bit because it's a tad too long now that the hull and cap are joined much closer together. Other pic is of the corner gap that will need filled with sealant. I just couldn't force it together without breaking something. I'll live with it
need to trim rubrail.jpgcorner gap at stern.jpg

Ciera2450

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I have the rubail re-attached and once the adhesive dries, I will seal everything up and reinstall the rubber trim for the rubrail. There was some type of sealant used originally behind the rubber trim for the rubrail (which sealed up screw/bolt heads?).

what is best to use here?

proshadetree

Lieutenant Commander

I have used GE clear silicon adhesive here several times. The rubrail trim will not allow much movement so I have had no issues. This is not a gasket maker but an adhesive. It will turn lose when you need it to but it proves to be difficult. On my fathers bass boat for about three years now. Some of his tabbing was broke off is the reason I used this.

Ciera2450

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Thanks proshadetree!
I'll check out the GE silicon for behing the rubrail trim, Whatever was there before appears to be some type of adhesive as I have to pick it all out!
What about "caulking" for the corners? It would have to be a fairly thick product to stay in there without falling out while curing. Gravity would be pulling it out, maybe some clear packing tape could hold it while it cures...I dunno.
4200 is what i'm thinking but I'll have to order it.
I will have to caulk the large corner gaps and run a bead along the entire joint to seal things up. I pretty sure I actually got a fairly good seal with the PL on the spacer piece and bolting it down. The caulk will be mainly for appearance across most of the stern. The corners however, still have a larger gap. (smaller than when I found it tho!)

Any other options to 4200 out there for this purpose?

Ciera2450

Lieutenant Junior Grade

i picked up some PL door/window sealant this morning. I'm going to use this to caulk the seam beneath the rubrail.
Also, I've gone all over town looking for the 1/4" x 5" SS bolts I need to reattach the swim platform. Not having any luck finding them that long in SS. I have one more place to try, hopefully they'll have em. The swim platform was missing three of the bolts attaching it to the transom! I can't believe it held 3 adults. It will be much stronger now. The cracks are repaired, aluminum backing plates will be use on the inside, and all the bolts will be replaced. If i can find em! lol
I'll report how the PL sealant does caulking the hull/cap seam. Someone on another forum recommended it and I'm gonna give it a shot. I will still use the GE silicon adhesive for sealing the rubber trim piece.

Ciera2450

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Hello chaps
I spent $40 on bolts n washers n lock nuts today. I hate that nickel n dime crap that adds up big time after a while.
I have the middle portion of the swim platform bolted back on......
... I liberally applied 5200 to the bolt holes and face of platform that meets to the transom, bolted her down with new SS bolts and an 1/8" aluminum backer plate with lock washers. I also managed to gett the rail base fittings for the stern rail bedded and screwed down while I had the 5200 open. That stuff is not forgiving. It is so damn messy and runny. Great adhesive, crappy to work with. I always tend to over apply the stuff too, which doesn't help. Everytime I use it, I try to be as prepared as possible but it never seems to work out and I get it all over!

Sorry, I didn't get pics as I was wiping up excess 5200 and my hands were filthy. I'll get some soon.

I plan to start building the seating area soon. I have ideas stirring and wood in the shed.....
Hope to fish this weekend before winterizing too. It's gettin cold here in Georgia!

proshadetree

Lieutenant Commander

Help Help I glued my camera to my hand.:eek::D Cant wait for update pics. I will forgive none tonight under the current circumstances.

Ciera2450

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Crap.....
My fingers are sticking to the keyboard.

proshadetree

Lieutenant Commander

Please refer to the 5200m removal thread. :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: sorry could resist.

Ciera2450

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I've got the stern cap/hull joint basically finished up....i'm glad to have that out of the way.
The pics also show the center part of the swim platform reattached and the railing I installed. The two sides of the swim platform will go on tomorrow.
I really had trouble getting the caulk smooth in the large corner gaps. The rest of it came out pretty good and I now only have a roughly 1/4" gap at the stern vs. the nearly 1" gap previously. And it IS sealed and firmly attached together. I may come back with a "surface layer" of caulk after this batch sets up, just to make it look a bit smoother in the corners. It's just so thick in the corners I couldn't really work it much without making a mess.
Also, in the one pic you can see the stern rail. I really really don't care for it much.......it really needs the wood handrail to finish it off.
Hope to stay out on the boat this weekend for some R&R and next week I'll begin building the seating area.

Attachments

• stern completed1.jpg
    stern completed1.jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 1
  • stern completed2.jpg
    stern completed2.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 1
  • stern completed3.jpg
    stern completed3.jpg
    136.4 KB · Views: 1

Ciera2450

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I'm so happy with the reseal of the stern hull/cap joint. I checked the caulking job this morning and the caulk basically smoothed itself out in most spots. It still is a bit tacky in spots, so NOT fully cured. I used PL poly door n window caulk, says it lasts 50+ years. We shall see.

I have a question about 5200:

I've reattached the center of the swim platform and will reattach the sides tonight, Will I be safe to put it in the water this weekend?
I know it takes a long time to cure. I also know it will cure under water. I just wanna make sure it won't mess it up or leak if I put it in the water....
It will have over 24hrs set up time. The center section has been on for two days and the 5200 is still a bit soft and not cured.
Any thoughts?

I can always take the lil' boat out, but the big boat is so much more fun! (and expensive!lol)

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

I would read the instructions on the tube of 5200. Should tell you how soon it can be used after applying.

I would use 4200 or Boat Life sealants from now on. 5200 is just too permanent. Have used Boat Life on everything from sealing screws to sealing rub rails, to mounting hardware. Works very well, and does come off (but not easy). A heck of a lot more forgiving than 5200.

JBF 1962

Chief Petty Officer

I would read the instructions on the tube of 5200. Should tell you how soon it can be used after applying.

I would use 4200 or Boat Life sealants from now on. 5200 is just too permanent. Have used Boat Life on everything from sealing screws to sealing rub rails, to mounting hardware. Works very well, and does come off (but not easy). A heck of a lot more forgiving than 5200.

sorry for the sideline, but is that what you'd recommend for doing the cabin windows? I want to reseal them over the winter.

Ciera2450

Lieutenant Junior Grade

John, I used 4200 on my cabin windows. Scraping off all the old crap was the toughest part of the job.
My windows used double sided tape on the inside seam also, dunno how your are attached.
I used 3m superduty outdoor tape and those things aren't going anywhere. I did that before I started this thread... They leaked, it was actually the first thing I did when I got the boat.

I've got the whole platform back on the boat. Crappy pic but its back on!!! I've got to reattach the ladder and also bolt all three pieces together (2 bolts)....... but its basically done.
Mark42, thanks for the reply! I've never used the boat life products tho I've heard great things..I'll have to check it out. 5200 is great stuff.....just sucks to work with. The package says 7 days for full cure, so that is what I'll go with. Guess I'm taking the little boat fishing!

I finished up attaching the platform with 5200 and managed to not make such a mess this time!! Still a little mess...but not bad. That stuff just "oozes" everywhere and your srewed if you get it on your hands and don't notice. Then proceed to grab your freshly painted swim platform your working on! lol
Nevertheless! the platform is on, bolts sealed, and she ain't going anywhere for a long time. Just what I wanted. :)

Attachments

• swim platform back on!.jpg
    swim platform back on!.jpg
    144.8 KB · Views: 1

Ciera2450

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I thought I'd post up some better pictures of things.....
The stern is all sealed up and platform reattached. Another project completed.....on to the next.:D
I hope to get some sketches posted this weekend of what I plan for the seating area to see what you guys think.:)

Here are the pics:

Close up of stern cap/hull joint caulk job:
close up stern caulk.jpg

A couple shot of the stern overall, including the platform, railing and shot of the caulk gap in the corner
Swim platform stern joint and rail.jpgswim platform and stern.jpg

Finally, What the heck is this bracket for? There is one on each side.
what is this bracket2.jpg

I'm going fishing as soon as my buddy calls me... Ya'll Have a good weekend!
Thanks for the help guys,
Jimmy

Status
Not open for further replies.