At the gelcoat stage - help needed!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

morebass 17

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: At the gelcoat stage - help needed!!!

You are doing some mighty fine work MoreBass..Hope my gelcoat comes out as good as yours has. I'm spraying tomorrow...any suggestions? I plan on thinning with MEK...

Thats great news Trooper, I had a quick look at your thread and I must say your doing a fantastic job on that beauty.

Gelcoat hints & tips !!! Do the opposite of what I done and you'll be fine lol. But seriously one or two things you prob already know but here goes.

MEK is fine, I'm glad I went with MEK and not acetone which was briefly discussed here. No more than 10% thinner though if possible.

I'm assuming you have a little experience with a spray gun but dont worry if you dont, just play about with it before you shoot the boat (not too much though Gel can be expensive !!!) The reason I say mess about with it is so you can make sure the pressures are adjusted properly for the viscosity of your gel. This is where I went wrong - I had the pressure at the gun set too low for the viscosity and ended up with grapefruit peel, By the time I realized something wasn't right it was too late, damage was done. It was repairable but added approx 5 days of sanding !!!! I had to start at about 150grit if i remember correctly instead of the planned 320 - 400g.

I'm sure you have done this already but re-read Yacht Dr's fantastic "How To" near the start of this thread It contains all the info you need to know.

Are you spraying outside or indoors?? If its outdoors I hope the weather is good to you.

P.s. Keep the airline away from the wet gel!! I speak from experience lol. Also if any insects land on your final coat of gel, dont worry as you will have great pleasure sanding them away!!

morebass 17

Petty Officer 1st Class

*** HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE ****
But to be honest I'm glad its all over, now i can get back to my normal routine and hopefully get my finger out and finish this boat.

A May launch is looking quite promising, Hopefully the weather will be ok here at that time as it should really be the start of our summer.

Its been ages since I last posted an update, its good news, the boat itself is almost finished now, and I have fitted the alternator to the outboard, I just have to modify the motor hood to accomodate the alt. and some engine work, carbs, piston rings, head gasket, thermostat etc. needs done. Once those things have been done the outboard just need fitted to the boat and all electrics wired up, then a quick paint and it should be ready for her first dip in the water.

I'm trying to remember where I left off on my last update, oh thats right - the laptop base. Well the laptop base is now complete.
The docking lights brackets have been made up and just need either powder coated or painted, I'll prob just go with paint though. Also the outboard control box is finished, the powder coating on the black levers wasn't up to scratch so i sanded it back down and just painted these, the white casing turned out good though so it wasn't a complete waste of time.

I'm sure there was more to add to this update but I can't think what it is at the moment, I'm sure I'll add to this post when it comes back to me. There might be a giveaway on the boat name on one or two of the pics I'm going to attach, I hope yous will all agree that it is a fitting name but most importantly it is dedicated to my girlfriends grandad who sadly passed away a while back, so the name also means a lot to the both of us and my girlfriends family.

Here's the pics : -

morebass 17

Petty Officer 1st Class

THE ALTERNATOR IS FITTED - JUST WAITING ON THE BELT TO ARRIVE THEN i CAN WRAP THIS ONE UP.

PICT1568.jpg

PICT1572.jpg

PICT1629.jpg

PICT1630.jpg

PICT1631.jpg

PICT1632.jpg

morebass 17

Petty Officer 1st Class

DOCKING LIGHT BRACKETS COMPLETE, THEY JUST NEED PAINTED.

PICT1574.jpg

PICT1575.jpg

PICT1576.jpg

PICT1577.jpg

PICT1578.jpg

morebass 17

Petty Officer 1st Class

LAPTOP BASE EVENTUALLY COMPLETED AND FITTED AND EVERTHING'S WORKING AS IT SHOULD

PICT1580.jpg

PICT1591.jpg

PICT1613.jpg

PICT1612.jpg

PICT1598.jpg

PICT1599.jpg

morebass 17

Petty Officer 1st Class

PICT1606.jpg

CONTROL BOX COMPLETE AND ALL WIRED UP. GOOD TO GO

PICT1582.jpg

PICT1587.jpg

PICT1585.jpg

PICT1603.jpg

I also added an emergency cut off switch as there will be no safety lanyard, this switch kills the ignition and fuel pump.

PICT1601.jpg

fat fanny

Lieutenant Commander

Morebass that has to be the best looking set-up I have seen on here yet the fit and finish is off the hook and all the components couldn't be layed-out any better in my opinion! You have set a very high bar for others to follow.

fishfeatures

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Morebass, I had forgotten all about this build, it looks absolutely amazing... a real credit to you. The finish and detail is top notch and somethign to be proud of. Hopefully you will get it finish this year....

morebass 17

Petty Officer 1st Class

Its been a long long time since my last post,
first of all Happy New Year everyone !!
good news - blueberry hill floats !! nicely I might add. A few teething problems but nothing that wasnt expected, just little things like fuel pressure (which was far too high ) 1 or 2 electrical issues too which i also expected so no big deal, I'm currently working on these issues at the moment so I should be good to go for the start of the season (cant bloody wait :)
here is a few pics of the nearly finished project.
Thanks to everyone that tuned into this thread and to all those who gave the knowledge i needed to finish the build.

what a great thread ! you have just changed my mind re gelcoating or two pack spraying my hull, defo going with the gel now yours looks superb, your right nothing in uk to match these boys on here ,thank you all

morebass 17

Petty Officer 1st Class

sorry folks been having computer problems :-( hope these pic uploads work this time

Trooper82

Commander

Glas to see you back, she is looking better everytime we see her...nice job!

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

I may have missed it, but what did you do for the air silencer? Those motors are tuned for the having the cover in place, they can run lean without it, not good.

Running filters will probably require rejetting the carbs.

Jeffm602

Seaman Apprentice

This is sweet, never thought of using an alternator on an outboard before. What modifications were need for that setup?

Status
Not open for further replies.