At the gelcoat stage - help needed!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Re: At the gelcoat stage - help needed!!!

just add a dedicated starting batt and turn the radio down a little.... a continuous 40 amps 100% of the time for 5 hrs straight sounds way extreme to me.

sprintst

Commander

Nice work man. I'll be following along checking out all the cool new stuff.

morebass 17

Petty Officer 1st Class

just add a dedicated starting batt and turn the radio down a little.... a continuous 40 amps 100% of the time for 5 hrs straight sounds way extreme to me.

Hi smokeonthewater, I am going to have 2 batteries in parallel (switchable) and also I will carry a jump pack for starting the outboard in case of emergency.

The 40 amps is based on rough calculations but considering I have all the following items on board I think I may not be far off the 40a. I have a current meter installed on the distribution box which I am going to keep an eye on before I add any charging system. The last thing I want to do is limit my power consumption, ie - turn radio down or even turn off other appliances. I would like to at least have the option of having everything running even although I prob never will.

Stereo
Amplifiers (700watts)
invertor (800watts)
lcd tv
interior lights (l.e.d.)
nav lights (l.e.d.)
bilge pump
fuel pump
wipers
main lights (HID XENON x 4 / 280 watts)

Among other things, so I think I will exceed the 40amps, The amps and invertor are the killers, These two alone have the potential of drawing well over 40amps. I'll take some readings though before I make any harsh decisions.

morebass 17

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well folks, thats the majority of the electrics done, I'll have more to do once the cap is fitted though. I've just given the boat a clean out in preperation for fitting the carpet tomorrow (hopefully get this done by end of tomorrow) Then its time to move the boat outside and the cap inside to start the prep work for gelcoat. Its a race against time now, no stopping till the finish line.

PICT0976.jpg

PICT0977.jpg

PICT0978.jpg

PICT0979.jpg

morebass 17

Petty Officer 1st Class

Nice work man. I'll be following along checking out all the cool new stuff.

Thanks sprintst, This is the good part of any project, when you see it all coming together and starting to look like a boat. Stay tuned mate.

proshadetree

Lieutenant Commander

Try the golf cart batteries like houseboats run. They will pull for a long time. I know many houseboats have outboards and stay off hook for days at a time.

morebass 17

Petty Officer 1st Class

Try the golf cart batteries like houseboats run. They will pull for a long time. I know many houseboats have outboards and stay off hook for days at a time.

Could be an option m8, I'm pretty sure they beasts will weigh a fair amount though, but if it turns out I need some ballast when I put it in the water then I think I will give them a go.

Thanks mate

Outback Jack

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hey Jack, Thanks again for the kind words,

I'm glad your making progress with your upholstery, a few pics of the finished article would be really appreciated, I may just steal some ideas from you :D

The choice between gelcoat & paint is a tough one when you try and weigh up the pro's & con's. Either one can give you a superb finish if done correctly, possibly more colors and finishes could be had with paint though , but as I am quite new to gelcoat myself this might not be true as there is loads of pigments and additives than can be added to gel to obtain the desired finish.
You will have it in the water in no time , you are moving right along. I will post some pics soon, but let me know if you want them right away as attachments etc are all frigged up here and some how all my photbucket pictures got deleted from my account...I emailed them and they said they never did it..hmmm a glitch maybe. I can get you some pictures just let me know.

As to the gelcoat that is why I am on the fence as per maintanance down the road, I know myself working with gelcoat it needs maintenace to keep looking good and that sort of puts me on the fence. Medical reasons maintenance is bad for me LOL probably getting into boating was bad for me :) I know I can make gelcoat look real good, but I can change the hull colour of my boat up in a couple years if I don't like it easier with paint . But I will probably go with gelcoat when it comes time.

Cheers
Jack

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

fuel pump, wipers, and nav lights won't be on without engine and an led anchor light uses next to nothing... not sure what the hid lights are for but if you figure them for headlights, they should only be used for docking. Driving the boat at night should be done with as little light as possible to maintain your (and other people's) night vision. Your amp will not draw it's max amperage constantly but will average a bit lower unless you are playing one constant bass tone with no beat. If you are running the tv with the inverter then you don't add it to the list but rather it goes in a sub list under the inverter.

I'm not saying that you can't draw 40 amps but rather that I bet it won't be a constant average draw of that much.

I'd really consider ditching the jump pack and having a dedicated start batt. That way it wouldn't hurt a thing to run the house batts down and you'd never have to think about it. Turn key and engine always starts.... never have to wonder

morebass 17

Petty Officer 1st Class

fuel pump, wipers, and nav lights won't be on without engine and an led anchor light uses next to nothing... not sure what the hid lights are for but if you figure them for headlights, they should only be used for docking. Driving the boat at night should be done with as little light as possible to maintain your (and other people's) night vision. Your amp will not draw it's max amperage constantly but will average a bit lower unless you are playing one constant bass tone with no beat. If you are running the tv with the inverter then you don't add it to the list but rather it goes in a sub list under the inverter.

I'm not saying that you can't draw 40 amps but rather that I bet it won't be a constant average draw of that much.

I'd really consider ditching the jump pack and having a dedicated start batt. That way it wouldn't hurt a thing to run the house batts down and you'd never have to think about it. Turn key and engine always starts.... never have to wonder

I do agree with you that most items wont be on all at once, and yes my mistake i shouldn't have listed the tv as well as the inverter, it was just to give you guys a rough idea of what could be consuming the power, the inverter is solely used for the tv so again the inverter wont be drawing anywhere near the 800watts peak.

I'm not worried about any of the lights as they are all l.e.d. apart from the hid's which as you said are only meant as docking lights. The amps however are the hungry buggers.

I have finished installing/wiring my volt/current meters and even with the music turned really low my meter reads approx 35 amps, when I turn the music up this dramatically increases and although I never maxed the amps I was still reading 86amps. I will never have the amps all the way for long periods of time but its good to know I could if I wanted to and I would hate to to keep track of how long I have left before having to switch everything off.

The two batteries I am using is connected to a selector switch, battery 1 will be used for normal operation, once battery 1 has drained battery 2 will only be used for outboard electrics and limited accessories, This is basically the same idea as a dedicated starter battery although this way I can choose which battery is being used/charged. I will only be carrying a jump pack for real emergency situations.

I have looked into this further and I can source a small lightweight alternator which produces 75amps which should fit under the cowling with limited modifications, I say that now but we all know it will prob be a nightmare but i'm always up for a challenge or I would'nt be doing a restore in the first place.

Thanks for your advice its really appreciated.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

whoops my bad.. IIRC The last amp in that size range (1000 watt pioneer) I worked with would hit about 90 amps when pushed hard but pulled around 10 amps when the volume was turned down..... of course this was quite a few years ago and your idea of low volume and mine may not be the same lol

Outback Jack

Petty Officer 1st Class

boatupholstery008.jpg

boatup001.jpg

Hey bud here ya go a picture of my port side . You can see the spots where the cup holders go.The bow cushions are going to have the stripes going through it too. I used all the old foam as it was still ok but it all depends what everyone is looking for, it was ok for what I want .The foam was wore a little on one side of the cushion but like I said it is going to look ok for me and is the only cushion I have wear into and if it bothers me down the road I will get a piece of foam . I never had a pattern to work with just free hand .

Cheers

Jack

Last edited:

morebass 17

Petty Officer 1st Class

whoops my bad.. IIRC The last amp in that size range (1000 watt pioneer) I worked with would hit about 90 amps when pushed hard but pulled around 10 amps when the volume was turned down..... of course this was quite a few years ago and your idea of low volume and mine may not be the same lol

Lol. Yeah I was a little suprised at the current draw, I knew it would be high but maybe not just as high as it is. I think its because I am running 2 amps, and idle current draw is about 10 - 15 amps each. I may also have to callibrate my amp meter though because even with everything off I am still reading 4 amps draw, although this is no big deal, it still gives me a rough idea of what i'm asking of the batteries. I may just have to install 3.5mm jacks everywhere and supply my passengers with earphones lol.

morebass 17

Petty Officer 1st Class

boatupholstery008.jpg

boatup001.jpg

Hey bud here ya go a picture of my port side . You can see the spots where the cup holders go.The bow cushions are going to have the stripes going through it too. I used all the old foam as it was still ok but it all depends what everyone is looking for, it was ok for what I want .The foam was wore a little on one side of the cushion but like I said it is going to look ok for me and is the only cushion I have wear into and if it bothers me down the road I will get a piece of foam . I never had a pattern to work with just free hand .

Cheers

Jack

Hi mate, unfortunately I'm not able to see your pics just now, i'm at work just now and cant seem to view attachments and I dont have admin auth. to change the settings. I'll have a look when I get home, it sounds as if your doing a great job with them.

Ian

morebass 17

Petty Officer 1st Class

boatupholstery008.jpg

boatup001.jpg

Cheers

Jack

Hey Jack, your doing some job on the upholstery mate. Its the exact colour scheme I was thinking of too, and roughly the same pattern, everything down to the white piping was what I was planning, weird or what eh!!
Im planning on a symetrical pattern though as I am no good with freehand If i've not got a measuring tape I'm hopeless lol.
I love the design and the colours you picked, and the finish looks like a pro job, well done mate, no doubt I'll be coming to you for some advice when I'm at the upholstery stage, if you dont mind that is.:D

morebass 17

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well I managed to finish the laying the carpet, but it looked pants without an edging trim. Im in the process of doing that just now but its a bit of a nightmare, I cant glue the trim all in one go because it has to round several bends and corners and even although its quite flexible I still have to glue some of it then the next day glue another part and so on. Hopefully by the weekend though the bout is outside and the work on the cap commences, which involves loads of sanding :mad: its all hand sanding too - the worst kind :facepalm:

Ill post a couple of pics in the next day or two once the carpet trim is finished.

morebass 17

Petty Officer 1st Class

The carpet trim was a bloody nightmare, I didn't manage to fit all the trim because it just wasn't flexible enough to go round the corners, so I will have to come up with something else for these bits or just just live with it the way it is. The boats all cleaned out and ready to be moved outside for the next month or so while I work on the cap. There is quite alot of work to do to it including stripping the old paint, gelcoat it, upholster the inside of it, fit nav lights and install the windows. So it might actually take me more than a month (you all know how bad I am at making my targets lol)

So no more pics of the boat for a while after this but I'll keep yous all updated on the progress with the cap.

PICT0982.jpg

PICT0983.jpg

PICT0987.jpg

PICT0993.jpg

morebass 17

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'm way behind target once again, its not looking good for a summer launch, although I will fight till the end to make sure it happens this year. Its certainly not going to be finished the way I want it this year, but hopefully I'll have it at the stage where it will be safe and reliable enough for water trials. Wish me luck!!

I've finished stripping all the paint from the cap and I'm now in the process of doing some small repairs, I only have a few holes to fill and a little reinforcement work to be done, so I should be applying the gelcoat over the weekend. I'm going to be applying the gelcoat with a brush & roller as Its not a large surface area, this will hopefully save me time and money. I am going to prep the surface with 80g, and hopefully this time I can start the sanding steps at 320g (not 120g like before lol) Then its time to upholster the inside of it and install the windows etc. Now I just have to get my finger out and start making some progress. I have almost 4 months untill my launch date, it sounds alot but I only get a few hours a week to work on it, so 4 months is not long at all. :facepalm:

PICT0994.jpg

PICT0995.jpg

FFScott6

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have been following along... I am seriously impressed!

Way to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.