Adding Floor to 14' V-Hull Row Boat... Suggestions?

joehomey

Cadet
I am planning on making some modifications to my Row Boat. I have a 14' deep-v (maybe semi-v) row boat. Not sure of the make but it is aluminum and was made in 1963. It is solid and in good shape other than being in need of a paint job.

I am interested in adding floors to it. I know one option is dropping plywood over the seats. I would rather not go this route as the 'floor' would be rather high. I have also heard of people completely removing the seats to install a floor. I would also rather not do this for the sake of integrity. I heard somewhere once that if the seats are attached to the sides you can remove them, but not if too the floor. My seats are attached to both the sides and the floor.

What I am planing on doing is cutting a large notch out of the the 2 rear seats. I have attached a drawing of what I mean. The shaded area is what I am going to remove. In my mind this would retain structural integrity and also lower the floor level for center of gravity. I realize that the seats have foam for floatation so I will reuse that foam under the floor i install.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Attachments

• modified seat.jpg
    modified seat.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 0

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: Adding Floor to 14' V-Hull Row Boat... Suggestions?

Why not rivet some aluminum angle to the seat supports to act as supports for the decking?

joehomey

Cadet

Why not rivet some aluminum angle to the seat supports to act as supports for the decking?

This is certainly an option, but this would create 2 floor sections with the original seats poking through a few inches higher. i am going for that bass boat look and feel with a continuous floor, if you know what I mean. I found a picture of what I had in mind. Ill attach it.

Attachments

• modified rowboat.jpg
    modified rowboat.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 0

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Based on your boat configuration and construction, I do not think you will be able to acheive that look.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,...'n remember, every pound of wood, 'n junk you put in it,...
Is a pound you can no longer take boatin' with ya....

It won't take much, 'n it'll be Overloaded before ya even step into it...