1974 16' Starcraft SS mini resto

wrmdunker

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello all you Starcraft resto's boys. I bought this 3 years ago and had no idea these boats had such a fan club. I joined iboats to buy parts and started reading about some Evinrude repairs. It has a '74 70 HP. Then I stumbled on the restoration forum and have been doing a lot of reading. So much good info here such as JB weld, 3M 5200, epoxy for plywood, ZC primer, Pettit Easypoxy topside paint, etc. I surely would not be contemplating a lot of the work without the direction you all have provided. The floor seems good but it has carpet and I want to change to vinyl. PO told me he replaced it with 1/2 inch CDX (not marine). I'm worried it won't last.

IMG_1215.jpg

The hull is hideous. I don't have good pics of it since I didn't have a resto in mind until now. I am currently just planning to paint the hull by hanging it. I have a 24 x 32 pole barn. After I brought it home, I could see the "ghost" of a "For Sale" painted on the side. There is a lot of paint failing and the original white is showing through. No leaks however but I did add a bilge since I dock it for a week at a time.

So far I have only added a trolling motor bracket and build new gunnale pads for the bow, replaced various pop rivets. You can see a lot of the topside flaking off the gunnale back to the light blue. Other work has involved the trailer (rollers, bunks, winch and paint)

IMG_1015.jpg

IMG_1165.jpg

Again, I only have some trip pictures until I get the tarp off and start tearing into it. The lounge seats are not as nice as a pedestal IMO but kids like them.

Looking at the transom today, I found a soft spot under the corner cap although the PO told me he had it replaced in the 6 years he owned it. Maybe its just that one corner.......

So, while still planning my work, can anyone link me to some good threads on transom replacement? I have read so many and some threads have dozens of pages....Looks like I would have to peel up some of the gunnale tops. Correct? Thanks in advance.

WD

dozerII

Admiral
Re: 1974 16' Starcraft SS mini resto

Welcome to the site, you picked a very popular boat, and will find answers to all your questions on this site. I am sure there is not a problem you can run into, that some one on here hasn't already figured out how to over come. Good luck with your project.
Glen

Last edited:

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Nice boat and motor combination you have there. Welcome to the Starmada! Transom replacement on a Starcraft is very straightforward. Just remove anything bolted through it or screwed into it, remove the capping and the corner caps and pop it out. The worst part is getting it to pop out if the wood has swelled. I had good luck prying mine out from the bottom with a 2x4 braced against the floor. Good plan ditching the carpet. I have marine vinyl on mine and am very pleased with it.

wrmdunker

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks guys. The carpet is not worn but seems loose. Again, I'm concerned the deck is not holding up and releasing the carpet. Also, blood stained since I got the boat.

I applied some Cabelas gray vinyl in the gunnale side storage last year. Does anyone know if this product is a Cabelas exclusive or can I get it cheaper elsewhere? I got a sample of Natuolex grey and it's not a match.

Here's some better pics of the bottom paint. Planning to go back to the original white, which shows in a lot of places.....

Your experience is much appreciated!

WD

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

lakelover

Rear Admiral

Welcome, great looking project. On mine, I found that once the transom wood really dried out and shrunk, it practically popped out whereas I had fought a losing battle with it until then. It just would not budge, and I wanted it intact in order to make a pattern for the new one. It's a pretty straightforward project, just takes some time & patience.

Looks like you'll have a couple good helpers there.

MaddysDaddy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

natolux makes two greys Storm and Shark, i had spent alot of time looking for vinyl and it seems most of the brands have the same colors. Defender has the best price online.

nice boat and good luck

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

wrmdunker

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks all for the replies. That is my grandson. He loves to help. Been fishing with us since he was in diapers.

Defender looks like a great source. So many sites out there. That's what is nice out this site being willing to share the experiences. I see the adhesive is $10 per quart less than where I had been looking......

Here's the Nautolex Strom Grey sample on the left and the leftover Cabela's on the right. They call theirs Silver Gray. Any thoughts? Doubt that Cabelas would tell me the mfg. and they want $25 per yard. Won't break the budget but always nice to save money.

WD

IMG_0007.jpg

Last edited:

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Actually based on some google results, I think Cabela's is DeckRite.

wrmdunker

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks EZ. I just did some review of the DeckRite site. Pattern of Tan looks similar but colors don't match. Also, DR product spec is 68 inches and Cabelas sells at 73 inches....... For the 6 yards I'll need, I probably just stay with Cabelas. Thanks anyway. I may check a big box store just for fun.

Huron Angler

Admiral

Welcome to the Starcraft fleet wrmdunker...glad to have you aboard:)

Very nice boat there, and that 70hp is a good match, actually exactly what I'd like for my SS.

I agree that the back-to-back loungers take up too much space. I went with pedestal seats only to keep things opened up(this kids like to roam around the boat so this helps a bit).

Good luck with the project, I am in the process of replacing my transom, feel free to check out my resto. Can't promise I do things right but I figure out a way eventually with help from these nice folks.:D

wrmdunker

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks HA. I think it was you who convinced me this could be a straight forward job and fun. Looks less conplicated when you see it torn apart.

Love the 70 HP. Easy to work on and many parts available. I'm going to add a tell-tale following advice in the Top Secret files. This site is awesome.

I'll be looking for pics of your transom replacement.

WD

Daltonxj

Petty Officer 1st Class

Welcome to the Starcraft fleet wrmdunker! :)

Thats a good looking boat..
I used the Rustolium white for my '79 16' Holiday restore.

link is in my sig

wrmdunker

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks Daltonxj. I would say it has "good bones". Looks to me like one of the POs painted it with rattle cans. I hope to do much better than that. I will look at your resto. One of my concerns is how any of these systems hold up over the years and are they good for week at a time or longer in the water.

wrmdunker

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I've been picking away at my resto. Wanted to share some of my experiences since I have gained so much by reading about others.

I re-did the motor cowling. As many have said, if the insulation is bad, take it out. The little flakes will probably just clog the carbs. Does not help reduce noise much anyway. I also could not find replacement OEM gasket but trimmed with a door edge trim from local auto store 50 cents a foot.

White paint is Johnson. I was not able to match the gold. Even asked nymarine as many of you guys have referred to and he did not have the 1974 Gold. Used a Dupli-Color from AutoZone. Both are lacquers.

Decals from E-bay seller. He did this these for $10 including shipping. I'm very pleased with his work. Kept the 3D Evinrude and painted over with a 1 inch foam brush. Also sold me a pair of "Starcraft SS" for the boat when I get that far.
Check him out. Name is Dave Shabestari

Last step is to clear-coat

IMG_0040a-1.jpg

IMG_0040b-1.jpg

IMG_0041-1.jpg

wrmdunker

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Also re-did my slider doors. Got some 1/2 inch marine, 5 ply. Old door bottoms were pretty bad. Think they were original. Had to fudge a little to even use them as templates.

Coated with epoxy even though they will never be wet very long.

Got my vinyl very cheap. These guys were $9 a yard compared to $16 elsewhere. They also send samples for $5 each and apply that to your full order. Very reasonable. A-1 Foam and Fabrics.

http://www.a1foamandfabrics.com/site/department.cfm?id=9F85F841-B303-4D15-A4CC74801FD95D47

As many of you know, there is an aluminum grid for the door panel. Has anyone painted theirs and would you do it again? I?m concerned the paint will clog the fine details of the grid.

Also need a "C" channel for the top and bottom and will be checking a local glass shop and or window dealer. Suggestions....????

IMG_0062-1.jpg

IMG_0063-1.jpg

Huron Angler

Admiral

Nice work, the motor cowling and the panel look great.

Fastenal can order just about anything made of metal, try to see if there is one near you. I lucked out and have a fishing buddy that works as a sales rep for them.

How fast does it go with that 70hp? Have you ever trolled down with it?

I'm in the market for a new one and I think I want one just like yours:D

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Cowling looks awesome!