Method and associated cost for stringer and deck repair

Rellik546

Petty Officer 1st Class
hello all

Just curious of those of you who have replaced your stringers and your decks what materials you used as well as associated costs and and also what size boat

Im not looking for an explanation as how you did your project. just what you used whether it be wood with either epoxy or poly resin/ or foam/ or seacast. what kind of cloth did u lay over the stringer and the total cost of the project. also amount of time. include any special tools u needed, or if you altered the standard method for installing any of the above listed.

and what you would do differently if you had to do it again?

Peteco

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Method and associated cost for stringer and deck repair

I'll let you know soon.

I am doing my floor in polyester resin (I ordered 5 gals at $125) and exterior plywood, with CSM ($40). I figured 15 yards of fabric, 2 gallons of resin, and 2 sheets of ply for my 18ft boat. Add another $200 for carpet and adhesive and that totals $380 or so for the floor. We will see how that pans out.

If I need to replace my stringers, I will laminate over rigid foam stringers with epoxy and fabric. Epoxy is more expensive, but you can do a pretty dry layup with epoxy and fabric, while I've noticed that most jobs using CSM the resin is glopped on pretty heavily.

I figure stringers would cost me:

$40 for 2lb/c.f. foam
$20 for hotwire saw (if I needed to make one)
$220 for biaxial fabric
$10 in microballoons to fill the foam before application of layup
$30 for a structural filler like milled glas fibers or flocked cotton
$60 for a gallon of epoxy
---------
$380 for the stringers

oops!

Supreme Mariner

hello all

Just curious of those of you who have replaced your stringers and your decks what materials you used as well as associated costs and and also what size boat

Im not looking for an explanation as how you did your project. just what you used whether it be wood with either epoxy or poly resin/ or foam/ or seacast. what kind of cloth did u lay over the stringer and the total cost of the project. also amount of time. include any special tools u needed, or if you altered the standard method for installing any of the above listed.

lol....:D

welcome to the wonderful world of the "dry dock"
the questions you asked take more than a book or two to answer.
the best bet is to read ...read...read.
start in the completed projects forum....(i dont care what kind of boat you have, most are all built the same way...)
also for all detailes about everything......read the thread in my link....it is the most comphrensive thread on the site and has every answer you need.

after a little reading....you can decide what is best for your situation and or boat and budget.

count on 100 hours for the stringer replacement and 80 for the deck for a first timer.

cost.....2k. then go up from thare....if you use epoxy.....double it.

good luck....take pics....and post here

cheers
oops

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Very interesting...... I was just having a similar discussion with some iboater's by phone about costs.

There are people here who do this as a profession and their customer's demand the job be done the right way. Then there are people who just want to get on the water and their wallet will not support their dreams. We have the entire spectrum here.

I will not point to any specific subject or area but there are many varied costs.

Item by item you can feel free to ask opinions......... I will tell you that stainless steel hardware will be your friend ;) Nothing in rebuilding is cheap when you DIY except the labor!!

oops! Wow what a great term for the restoration section "dry dock" :D

Some people would never dream of using anything but marine plywood however, there are other accepted types of wood/products.

I do know poly resin is cheaper then epoxy and if you have a regular fiberglass boat, yes it is the cheaper method.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

hello all

Did you have a particular project in mind ?

1.5 oz mat
1708 and or woving roving
Polyester
MG ply
Cabosil

Special tools .. made a lot of those :) . Basic grinders/cuttoffs/air tools ( Biggest one is a full face resporator ).

What I would do differently ? Learn from every minute and adapt tools/product knowledge .. and get paid more ;) .

YD.

Rellik546

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well I have a 1988 wellcraft. At first like many people it started with a a couple small soft spots. I pulled the carpet and the floor today, I took many pictures. Currently on my iPhone now tho. I'll post later. My deck was aweful, is it bad if u can remove the entire deck by hand with help of a pry bar to get my fingers under it? Haha. Anyways. This boat is gonna get lots of use, wakeboard tower and at 6 to 8 people all the time.

None of the stringers are glassed in. There is a bunch of pour foam/expand foam that I'm going to remove to furth check the stringers. In all honesty. I'm just going to replace them anyways. I want the hull/stringers/deck to be strong. I'm talking a full boat ripping through waves with tubers. Without worrying I'm gonna rupture the hull. (I mean this with in reason. Normally I slingshot the tube into the oncoming wave and miss hitting it with the boat) nonetheless I want it stong. The stringers are seperate pieces. Only 2 run the length of the boat but separate strings run the bilge area that are a bit wider. I'll attach pics

I'm willing to spend a 1,000 to do the deck and stringers. What materials would u use? And what would it cost? I'll try to attach pics asap. And I'm only looking for ballpark prices/what would be the best strength for the money.

IMG_0668.jpg
[/IMG]
IMG_0665.jpg
[/IMG]
IMG_0670.jpg
[/IMG]
IMG_0666.jpg
[/IMG]

oops!

Supreme Mariner

you didnt say what size the boat was...but looking at your avatar its about 18 feet.

a grand is really on the cheap side of it....it can be done....but buying supplies is where it will make or break the deal....but seriously...count on 2k.

poly resin....250 10 gals
acetone 70 bux 5 gals
mekp and cabosil ect....60
glass 150-300
wood...300
foam 250
carpet...200.
glue...50
tools and grinding discs. 100
safety stuff....100.

that is the minimum.
you may have some tools.....but the discs ...paint rollers, resin rollers....mixing buckets,,,,it all adds up.

buy the way....hows the transom....if the strings are rot...it may have got the transom.

read the completed projects forum skanky beast and red furys thread.
for details...check out the thread on my sig.....it has everything you want to know...

we are with ya....its a lot of work....but a lot of fun.
imho...its worth it

cheers
oops

oops!

Supreme Mariner

:D oh .....by the way....the clamp holding your alternator in place....is a break down waiting to happen ;)

Rellik546

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks oops. i already ordered the new alternator bracket....but that custom bracket has a special look that only a DIYer that owned it before me can appreciate. haha.

The boat is a 17' with two full length stringers that stagger/ they are technically seperate but they are mounted together. if you see the pic by the motor u can see where the one that runs to the bow ends, and the one from the beginning of the motor bulkhead begins and ends at transom. then there are 2 side stringers that run to the front of the consoles. however the stringers are only 1" think and they are not glassed, in the pictures they look wider, but its as if someone mounted would to the side of them, as they are only 2x2s. is the foam from the factory? or has someone else replaced the floor/ tried to cover up the fact the floor was rotted so they could sell it?

i bought the boat thinking i was going to need to replace the floor/stringers/transom.

thanks for the estimate... im really looking for strength. different threads glass their stingers differently.

I know very little about fiberglassing but am willing to tackle it. im aware that epoxy is stronger and bonds better to wood. im also aware that marine ply wood has no voids and uses an outdoor rated adhesive. most people use it for there transoms and get away with using CDX or outdoor rated play laminated 2 think as their stingers.

where my stringers are only 1" thick. should i just get a few sheets of 1/2" ply then bond 2 pieces together for each stringer, and then use the remaining 1/2" as my deck as that was what the original deck was.

i was thinking of using cloth, not mat or cgm. as it is the strongest and using 3 layers all 2" wider on each side to bond to the hull. after tabbing the stringer in place of coarse. i want to use all epoxy resin for this step to ensure it is strong and never have to replace it for as long as i own it

is it safe to get away with using cdx? or outdoor ply with poly resin to seal it with some mat then the last layer cloth?

i only plan on removing one stringer at a time, as the boat sits on a bunk trailer and i dont want the hull to sag. i believe im going to remove that cap and replace the entire boats deck and stringers even tho everything under the bow cap looks good.

Rellik546

Petty Officer 1st Class

still looking to see what other people did for their stingers/deck. any creative or alternative ideas and prices.

im thinking about putting snap in carpet in mine, if any carpet at all :)

Cadwelder

Lieutenant Commander

:D oh .....by the way....the clamp holding your alternator in place....is a break down waiting to happen ;)

Just make sure it's a geniune Merc, marine grade clamp.....:p;)

Cadwelder

Lieutenant Commander

And the $2K is a much closer cost estimate than $1K.

Rellik546

Petty Officer 1st Class

i am looking at epoxy resins and noticed there is a huge price difference...ive heard good things about west marine and aeromarine but aeromarine i can get much cheaper.

What are the best brands, i know brands can really just boil down to paying for a name. but at the same time id imagine that some are truley better than others. or diluted down with thinners.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

take a really good look at using epoxy....you only have a 17 footer.....not a 35 scarab with triple 300 horse mercs.

ploy is far stronger than you will ever need

Rellik546

Petty Officer 1st Class

take a really good look at using epoxy....you only have a 17 footer.....not a 35 scarab with triple 300 horse mercs.

where can i get one of those :) well if you insist that poly will hold up to my 17 foot at full capacity, tubing and wakeboarding then ill save a few hundred dollars

oops!

Supreme Mariner

it will hold ....and be more than you ever need for stregnth....
the biggest reason for poly failure is because of bad prep, or super bad application, or improperly mixed.

otherwize the stuff is as strong as steel

proshadetree

Lieutenant Commander

I used poly on my bayliner and beat the thing unmercifully. No cracks no leaks. Like opps said its the bomb. Your boat was originally made from it anyways.

Rellik546

Petty Officer 1st Class

so when laying the stringers and glassing in the new transom, should i use biax? or 1708? or mat. again going for strength might as well do it right. i heard mat is messy and absorbs much more resin (possibly good for strength, possibly a waste of resin?) i know that they use biax in snowboards so that stuff must be pretty strong. i did a good search and found an actually fiberglass supply store about 30 min away. (jackpot) all there stuff is fresh(apparently resin has a shelf life) and they have any kind of mat i want. its sweet because now i wont have to pay shipping costs, and the guy has really good prices. he told me he goes through about 50 gal of resin every couple of days. all the local marinas get there supplies from him

Rellik546

Petty Officer 1st Class

oh also i got into the boat again today and did the final drill test. conclusion all wood in boat is junk. so its all gettin ripped out. started to remove rub rail, and drilling out rivets. my stringers arent 1 piece instead they end at 2 separate cross braces. the cross braces cross the entire hull in 1 piece, and the stringer is in pieces between them, and then whole to the bow, and to the transom