Alumacraft floor/deck

chefmike

Cadet
Hi all
I was wondering if someone can help me with this question. I have a nnew Alumacraft 12 ft jon boat. I have made some flooring for inbetween the seats etc. I have made the floor from 3/4 inch marine ply and given it three coats of latex primer to seal it and then carpeted it. The question is as the floor sits perfectly on the bottom ribs in the boat do I have to build a frame underneath for it to rest on. It is not touching the sides and does not move when installed.
I thank you for any help with this

Mike

mommicked

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Alumacraft floor/deck

I think it should be fine w 3/4".we made floors out of 3/8" non marine,one for each side of the shallow v the ribs/hull form for dads lowe 16',used latex paint w grit added for non slip.we added blocks to the spaces between the ribs at the sides middle and center and aside from a slight warping(see 3/8"!) its sturdy and tough enough a year later.you could always add some blocking if it starts to sag.we notched the edges to fit around the ribs up the side of the boat so stuff wouldent fall under to easily and it helps to hold the floor in place.also his boat is stored uncovered outside!

chefmike

Cadet
Re: Alumacraft floor/deck

Thanks for the reply.................i also notched the adges to fit around the ribs and your right it makes a very cosy fit...........

Thanks again
Mike