marine carpet glue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: marine carpet glue

Yes, the home depot 6700 indoor/outdoor glue does just fine.

NoKlu

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Be careful with the carpet you choose, If your carpet is thin the glue can come through the carpet.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

i think that i am over my head a little.

no you are not buddy.....this job is a no brainer.....you are just gluing down a rug. :)

the instructions say to use a notched trowel......use the flat side and smooth the glue like you are troweling cement.

when you are laying the carpet.....use a good sized flat kneel board.....so the pressure from your knees and toes are not on the rug......thats where the bleed thru will come in.

after the carpet is layed down.....use a 2x4 on the flat....and take a hammer and start beating the 2x4...move it around.....this will set the carpet in the glue and make it nice and flat.

noklu and i found this out the hard way.....mineral spirits (from any paint store) will get the glue out if you mess up.

this is the most basic repair on a boat.....if you can do this.....you are well on your way to being able to fiberglass :D

cheers
oops

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

no you are not buddy.....this job is a no brainer.....you are just gluing down a rug. :)

the instructions say to use a notched trowel......use the flat side and smooth the glue like you are troweling cement.

when you are laying the carpet.....use a good sized flat kneel board.....so the pressure from your knees and toes are not on the rug......thats where the bleed thru will come in.

after the carpet is layed down.....use a 2x4 on the flat....and take a hammer and start beating the 2x4...move it around.....this will set the carpet in the glue and make it nice and flat.

noklu and i found this out the hard way.....mineral spirits (from any paint store) will get the glue out if you mess up.

this is the most basic repair on a boat.....if you can do this.....you are well on your way to being able to fiberglass :D

cheers
oops

Yea this and GET A RESPORATOR !! and move your wife and kids outa the house if you have an attatched garage..

Some people are Highly reactive to Solvents ... Be CAREFULL with carpet glues !! It can overcome you in a bad kind of way.

If your smelling it..not good..

YD.

tgp***

Senior Chief Petty Officer

My marine store handed me a can of Dap Weldwood Original Contact cement when I bought my marine carpet. Worked well for me and a 1/3 the price of carpet glues.

canorwood

Recruit

My marine store handed me a can of Dap Weldwood Original Contact cement when I bought my marine carpet. Worked well for me and a 1/3 the price of carpet glues.

Contact cement is good stuff, but it requires a dead on approach to it's use. Meaning it is not forgiving. Once you make contact with the other side, consider it stuck. At least with an adhesive that requires dry time it is forgiving. Depending on your application you might need to move or adjust it several times to get it in the right spot.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Contact cement is good stuff, but it requires a dead on approach to it's use. Meaning it is not forgiving. Once you make contact with the other side, consider it stuck. At least with an adhesive that requires dry time it is forgiving. Depending on your application you might need to move or adjust it several times to get it in the right spot.

Welcome to iboats.

Please take some time to read the forum rules about posts over 3 months old.

Look around, start a thread and check out the iboats store.

I will close this post.

Happy New Year

Status
Not open for further replies.