1968 15' Starcraft Jet Star Rebuild

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1968 15' Starcraft Jet Star Rebuild

Hey Ben, I'm not going to even ask about the straight fuel running through your OB. Ouch!

Yah, we'll take this OB thing one step at a time. If that Chrysler runs, great we'll run er. If not, parts motor on clist and I'll be rebuilding the Jet and shopping for something else. Likely something in the bottom feeder budget range. Maybe over time I can find my way into one of those nice four strokes.

Thanks for stopping by man!:D:D

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Opportunity knocked and I answered!

1998 Johnson 50 HP SPL

P1040871.jpg

P1040880.jpg

P1040901.jpg

P1040872.jpg

YUP!

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Absolutely IDEAL motor for that boat. IDEAL.

Don't think you'll get off without telling us how much you paid for it. Nice SS prop.

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander

Cool,...........

Now if only it had a tiller handle,.....lol...

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Yah dood! That OB plus I have a sweet BRP side control on the way plus throttle/shift cables. All together, just a few pennies over 1K:D:D

I love the HP, should move this Jet really well!

I love the T&T, man what a bonus!

I love the SS prop, I'll prolly sell it, buy an alum one and have some pocket change for other stuff!

I love that it is a premix (no oil pump to go bad)!

All in all, I believe she'll be a solid boat pusher!:D

dozerII

Admiral

Great buy Jas, should move your jet really well. Nice reliable o/b.
Glen

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

$1k is a very fair price for that motor with TnT and nice controls. Great score.

lakelover

Rear Admiral

Opportunity knocked and I answered!

1998 Johnson 50 HP SPL

YUP!

Beauty, eh?! I think overall you did better on the price than I did on mine (2003, $1800, no controls). By the time we get done, we'll practically have twins! This should be interesting!!

Huron Angler

Admiral

If gas prices go up it won't matter too much, just run that 2-stroke all day long.:D

Congrats, great find for the Jet:)

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Thanks fellas, appreciate it! Yah, I am pretty excited to see this motor eventually make this boat go!

OK, so, given that I scored new power for this rig I'll be going the rebuild then fish route rather than fish than rebuild route. My plan is to do most of the work over the 11/12 winter and into spring. Hopefully I can have her water ready for the 2012 spring walleye season. We'll see on that. I will say that working on these smaller boats is soooooo much easier than the big rig!

Example? Check it out...

I unbolted the old Chrysler, unhooked the controls, lifted it off (with my two bare hands, no crazy lift/rigging system necessary), and laid it down...
P1040851.jpg

Bare transom...
P1040855.jpg

Got all that done in the span of about 15 minutes. Man what a joy it is to work on this little Jet!

I had that ol Chrysler on craigslist for one day before a fella came and handed me some cash to take it away!

The new Johnson needed an engine stand.

So, some scrap lumber and about 20 minutes time...
P1040902.jpg

P1040904.jpg

This Johnson was quite a bit heavier than the Chrysler with the T&T and all but I was still able to simply lift it right up on the stand. I didn't bother with castors, I'll just move it around with my hand truck.

Hey, if anybody in iboats land can identify the correct wiring harness that would work for me that would be sweet! My Johnson OB serial number is J50TSLECC.

Motor connections...
P1040897.jpg

Control connection (along with several single wires)...
Control.gif

Cheers!

Broadcast

Petty Officer 1st Class

Schweeet Score Jas!

Those 'eyes are quivering now!!!

Triton II

Commander

What a great buy Jason. That lil' Johnson will make the perfect partner for the Jet. :cool: Well done mate, happy for ya! :D

TII

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Thanks guys! Yah I am feeling purdy good about that deal. I see similar set ups go for twice that all day long.

Hey bcast - you sure you aren't confusing laughing/mocking with quivering?? Ah well, just being out on the water would be cool with me!

Cheers!

Broadcast

Petty Officer 1st Class

Pretty sure the fish are monitoring this site also to see how much longer they have before your projects's complete and you begin spank'in them!!!

Keep up the great work my friend!

I'm jealous of your progress!

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Thanks for swinging by bcast:)

Yah, those eyes don't have anything to worry about unless yur in the boat too buddy;):)

OK, so some good news...

I decided to drop off the Johnson to the local marine tech and have it all checked over. I really didn't want any surprises like I had on the Merc:rolleyes:

I just picked it up...

Compression - Check
Water Pump - Check
T&T - Check
Lower Unit Oil - Check

Awesome!:D

fshngho

Lieutenant

Sweet motor ya got there Jas. Don't think for a second you are fooling me though, I know what your up too.
Bet your plan is to get the young uns interested in the smaller boat, leaving the larger one for you, for a while anyway. Could work...but its only a matter of time dude.
Don't worry my friend. At least you can still pay the taxes on the boats and do the maintenance and up keep....oh, and pay for gas.

You are such a great Dad.:D

Have a great day!!

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Yah man, I am feeling very good about that Johnson OB, very good! I am seeing OB's in that hp range go regularly for 2x$ what I have into this one.

The only thing I am a little grumpy about is the po went through some "touch up" paint work. Over spray, and it's everywhere!

P1040870.jpg

P1040887.jpg

Peeling in some spots too...
P1040879.jpg

Down the road I'll attempt to buff it out. If it still looks like carp I'll prolly repaint. It's all good:D

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Well, busy weekend and didn't get a whole lot accomplished boat wise. I was supposed to be spending time on the Islander but the Jet caught my attention so off I went!

Got the steering wheel/helm, control backer plate, steering cable, couple dozen snaps, bilge pump, float switch and some wireing out...
P1040949.jpg

Rats nest of fishing line in the bilge pump so that is toast. Float switch looks ok so that may be reusable. I am still amazed that the fella mounded em with wood screws right through the hull, sheesh.

Step pads, cleats, bow light, and side/mid rub rails off...
P1040946.jpg

P1040944.jpg

Everything off the transom...
P1040943.jpg

That transom plate might have been pressure treated. You can see a little corrosion there, not too bad.

Jetson anchor light and Starcraft emblems off...
P1040947.jpg

I am really amazed at how good of shape that light and emblems are in considering their age! I was afraid that those emblems would break apart right in my hands when I was taking them off but they are still quite flexible, not brittle at all. Cool!

fshngho

Lieutenant

So many boats, so little time. You make sure the big girl doesn't see you spending time with Star, you know how they can get.:rolleyes: Great progress Bro, I would think you are happy this one has a lot less work needed to splash her. And you have 'sperience now too!:D