1968 15' Starcraft Jet Star Rebuild

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1968 15' Starcraft Jet Star Rebuild

Here are a couple of shots for ya...

McKenna was pumped to find a big ol ore in there...
P1040703.jpg

Ethan gave me a hand last night too...
P1040736.jpg

Motor shots...
P1040705.jpg

P1040741.jpg

She looks pretty good anyway...
P1040740.jpg

I couldn't let the day go by without working on her a little. So, I pulled off those rod holders, tore out the seat, and ripped up the carpet...
P1040734.jpg

Looks like the deck has been replaced at some point. Good news is the bow piece looks original, great for a template! I didn't have the right tools with me to pull it up. It looks like it's screwed down. I think I'll have to take the circular saw to it.

This should be fun!!

Huron Angler

Admiral

Jason, a couple more things I noticed after looking at the photos again. First of all you really scored a versatile hull there. With the mini splashwell you will be able to run a tiller or remote steering as you mentioned. It also keeps the interior opened up quite a bit compared to an SS with the bigger one.

Also that semi-V hull is perfect for rivers, as you won't be drafting as much water as a deeper V would, and should be a very stable boat for fishing with the flatter bottom.

I was looking at a 15' Holiday a few years back that I almost bought, and planned to do the same as you are, side console. She'd be sweet as a mini CC also, keep your options open:)

Let me know when the walleye start running, I'm hungry for a fish fry already:D

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

What part does the motor need? Frank in the Chrysler/Force section should be able to help you locate whatever you're after.

Here is what I got EZ...
P1040738.jpg

And see, it's supposed to go here...
P1040739.jpg

The other half of that piece is supposedly frozen in the splashwell, don't know for sure. Kiinda looks like some sort of coupler, eh? Maybe an easy fix?

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Jason, a couple more things I noticed after looking at the photos again. First of all you really scored a versatile hull there. With the mini splashwell you will be able to run a tiller or remote steering as you mentioned. It also keeps the interior opened up quite a bit compared to an SS with the bigger one.

Also that semi-V hull is perfect for rivers, as you won't be drafting as much water as a deeper V would, and should be a very stable boat for fishing with the flatter bottom.

I was looking at a 15' Holiday a few years back that I almost bought, and planned to do the same as you are, side console. She'd be sweet as a mini CC also, keep your options open:)

Let me know when the walleye start running, I'm hungry for a fish fry already:D

Totally agree buddy! Should be great for my needs, I really think it will foot the bill eh!

OOOOooooooo, fresh fish!!! Yum!!!:D:D:D

Triton II

Commander

Nice score Jason. I really think you need a Holiday 18ft to complement the range! :D

TII

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Nice score Jason. I really think you need a Holiday 18ft to complement the range! :D

TII

My wife read what you wrote. She is on her way to your place and she didn't look happy at all. Now, it's quite a distance so you have some time. But if I were you, I'd...

RUN!!!!!!!!!!!:eek::eek::eek:

Triton II

Commander

OK, just got to finish my coffee... then I shall become the merest dot on the horizon... let your wife know she'd better bring her gumboots, man there's a lot of water out there and an 18ft Holiday would be perfect for these floods... :)

TII

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Nah, she would swim and pound you buddy. Rational thought and a woman's anger really don't spend time with one another.

She was a bit worked when I hauled home this little Starcraft yesterday. So what is a guy to do? Well, a kitchen renovation. Yesterday a wall came down. Today more demo. And, I have a happy bride!:D

mark1961

Ensign

Here is what I got EZ...
P1040738.jpg

And see, it's supposed to go here...
P1040739.jpg

The other half of that piece is supposedly frozen in the splashwell, don't know for sure. Kiinda looks like some sort of coupler, eh? Maybe an easy fix?

Probably not exactly what its called but thats one half of the lower motor mount, you should only really need to replace the black rubber piece if its removeable, i know they are on the later 20hp models.

Parts for these motors are becoming a bit hard to come by, they can be a bit pricey too in comparison but as EZ said, Frank should be able to advise where you can get one.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Probably not exactly what its called but thats one half of the lower motor mount, you should only really need to replace the black rubber piece if its removeable, i know they are on the later 20hp models.

Parts for these motors are becoming a bit hard to come by, they can be a bit pricey too in comparison but as EZ said, Frank should be able to advise where you can get one.

Thanks mark! The rig is thawing out at the moment. Hopefully the other half of that mount is buried in the splashwell.

I'm not feeling all that great about putting $$ into it so I think I'll do what I can do, and then put er up on clist. With this whole rig costing me only $200 my expectation for that motor was/is very low. If I can get it running that would be awesome! We'll see.:)

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

When I brought home the Islander this time last year Jennifer said...

"That is the ugliest boat I have ever seen! In my entire life!"

When I pulled in the drive with this little Jet she said...

"That is the second ugliest boat that I have ever seen! In my entire life!"

She was not all that happy to see it sitting out. So, in the garage, next to the Islander she went. Here are the sisters meeting for the first time...
P1040745.jpg

Getting that Jet in the garage was a 2 minute, piece of cake job. By comparison, the Islander was a full day, life and death struggle. Yah, this Jet rebuild should be a little more straight forward, eh!

I really wanted to see what was under the deck so I went to work. It was screwed down and I was thinking, man these are some long screws. I thought hmmm. Let's just take a look underneath here....
P1040747.jpg

AAAHHH!!!

Ok, no big deal. SS bolts and 5200. I looked around and I think those are the only four holes that are in the hull. Maybe.

The funny thing is I believe that those screws are what he used to mount the bilge pump! How ironic.

I couldn't find all the screws as they were buried into the carpet adhesive and wood so the circular saw completed the job...
P1040749.jpg

Deck out, foam out, stringer out. Those center sections of foam were waterlogged, frozen solid, and heavy as bricks. It took all of two minutes for foam removal. My apologies to the pour in foam bros...
P1040750.jpg

This is one of the fuel tanks that I took out of the Islander, 18 gal...
P1040751.jpg

I thought I'd just see if it might fit under a future casting platform up front there. Maybe it would work.

Tried in in the stern...
P1040753.jpg

That might work if I had a fold up/down bench seat sort of a deal. I'll likely just go with a couple of portables in the end.

Now that I have had a chance to get a closer look at things I think I really got a heck of a deal!

-The hull is in really good shape. I see one spot of dock rash, a few holes here and there, but that is about all.

-I have two complete, intact Starcraft emblems on the hull (very rare indeed).

-All of the original cleats, step pads and casting parts are there - including the bow/nose piece and transom corner castings. They are in great shape too (again, very rare)

-I have intact rubrails all the way around, including side rubrails. Those arrowhead end caps are even in place.

-The Plexiglas looks excellent. I just wiped a small spot clean and it looks totally clear.

-The trailer isn't nearly as crappy as I initially thought. With a few mods, a little welding and some paint I think it will work out just fine.

-I got a few decent items in there to like a fuel tank, battery box, two swivel seat pedestals, two Scotty rod holders, two big ol ores and a bilge pump. I might be able to make a couple of bux off of these items come summer.

-If I can get that motor to run and sell it, I might just be able to cover my initial investment (or close to it anyway).

I am feeling pretty darn good about this purchase!

lakelover

Rear Admiral

Looks like you sure did all right. Absolutely worth a little hassle from your wife.

fshngho

Lieutenant

Jas, check out the motor as best you can and let us know EXACTLY what you need. We may be able to help ya find that bracket buddy. OOOOHHH am I envious. No fair, your supposed to be working on one boat.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Looks like you sure did all right. Absolutely worth a little hassle from your wife.

Yah, she is all smiles about the new boat addition since I am rebuilding her kitchen too:):)

Jas, check out the motor as best you can and let us know EXACTLY what you need. We may be able to help ya find that bracket buddy.

Yah, hopefully the other half is in there somewhere.

Hey, to start this motor...

Hook up fuel, batt, drop it in a water tank and start???? Anything else I need to do to give her a try?

After I run (maybe) I lower it down so the water can drain out, is that it? I have owned three OB's in the past but never had to winterize as I could either carry them to the basement or sold before it got cold, you know.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Hook up fuel, batt, drop it in a water tank and start???? Anything else I need to do to give her a try?

After I run (maybe) I lower it down so the water can drain out, is that it? I have owned three OB's in the past but never had to winterize as I could either carry them to the basement or sold before it got cold, you know.

That's pretty much it. Have some premix in a spray bottle handy to spray in the carbs if it doesn't fire off for you. When I dragged mine home and tried to start it, and it wouldn't start, I sprayed some in the carbs and it fired off but died quickly. Then I knew I had a fuel problem and eventually found the mud in the fuel connector.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Well sheesh, that is so easy! Why didn't you guys tell me about these OB's earlier???

;):D

texasabil

Petty Officer 2nd Class

congratulations on your find!!! I have been doing a lot of research on the restore section. you guys are great I have looked at 3 boats in the past week trying to find me one lol I have the fever!!!:D I want to do a aluminum boat!!! Good luck

Huron Angler

Admiral

Ahem...so you didn't check out the bottom hull prior to buying?:eek::p

Those holes will be filled easily with rivets, not quite as bad as what our buddy RickAirMedic experienced. I hink he removed dozens of screws from his "shade-tree" stringers.

Speaking of stringers...didn't see any on the rig.:facepalm: Don't worry they aren't supposed to be there.:D

I think it's worth tinkering with that 45hp quite a bit. Have you seen what the new ones are going for?

BTW don't use starter fluid to spray into the carbs, the 2 stroke mix in a spray bottle is best as mentioned. I learned that the hard way.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

I have the fever!!! I want to do a aluminum boat!!!

Oh man, you are in trouble now!!!!! Big trouble!!!

Welcome to the madness my friend:D:D

Ahem...so you didn't check out the bottom hull prior to buying?

Come on dude, it was $200! I hitched it up and peeled out like I stole it!

Those holes will be filled easily with rivets, not quite as bad as what our buddy RickAirMedic experienced. I hink he removed dozens of screws from his "shade-tree" stringers.

Yah, ss and 5200, no sweat.

Speaking of stringers...didn't see any on the rig.:facepalm: Don't worry they aren't supposed to be there.:D

Yah, it was there. One little one running right down the middle, check it out...
P1040749.jpg

Have you seen what the new ones are going for?

Yah, I have been looking already. Shoot, compared to the big ones I was looking at for the Islander I feel like I might be getting a bargain on a little 50 HP!

Cheers guys!