1968 15' Starcraft Jet Star Rebuild

catbones

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1968 15' Starcraft Jet Star Rebuild

Ethan (my youngest) found my Sharpie and "helped" with my layout lines too...
P1060623.jpg

Glad this thing isn't painted yet!

Also got all the holes over drilled in the transom. I duck taped the back side for the fill part...
P1060621.jpg

Mixed up some epoxy and wood flour to about the consistency of really thick gravy...
P1060625.jpg

Filled the holes...
P1060626.jpg

Let it cure for a couple of days, pulled the tape and sanded everything smooth.

Jas,

Sorry for getting back to this old project but just reviewing your stuff on the transom. What was your reason for drilling then filling the wholes with epoxy. My boat is same stuff, same transom and same amount of holes. Did you keep and bolt the transom same way through using the three bolts on left and right of the transom? Or did you just use the center area to hold the transom wood to the alum.?

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1968 15' Starcraft Jet Star Rebuild

i have gone through this whole thread and have A LOT of inspiration on doing mine from it. This boat you rebuilt is just awesome and u did it the correct way nicely. Who ever it is that bought your jet star off you man is one set guy on a good boat :)

C

Hey cdavid! Thanks for the kind words man:D

Jas,

Sorry for getting back to this old project but just reviewing your stuff on the transom. What was your reason for drilling then filling the wholes with epoxy. My boat is same stuff, same transom and same amount of holes. Did you keep and bolt the transom same way through using the three bolts on left and right of the transom? Or did you just use the center area to hold the transom wood to the alum.?

See, when you OVER drill, fill with epoxy, then drill, the hole created for the bolt is through epoxy rather than wood. It's just an EXTRA layer of defense for the wood. Drilling and then coating the bolt with 5200 works excellent as well if you don't want to go through the additional work.

I used the original bolt holes (plus a few extra too).

Cheers!:D