1968 15' Starcraft Jet Star Rebuild

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1968 15' Starcraft Jet Star Rebuild

I'll keep peeking as you go along.

OK, worst is over lake, you can look now;)

Nice work on the cut, looks like you got the lines you wanted.

The boat will be way more useful this way, since you plan on catching tons of fish

Does the hull have any wiggle now or is she still as solid as before?

HA I reckon she'll be solid as once Jas does his usual "bomb-proofing"!

TII

Yup, pretty happy with those lines.

Actually, it's quite a bit more solid now that the bow is off. See, every time it moved the bow wanted to flex up and down, in turn pulling/pushing the sides.

TII is on to me. She'll be bomber once it's all said and done, I have a few plans to beef things up:D

Found my camera so here are a couple of better shots...

P1060368.jpg

P1060369.jpg

P1060370.jpg

:D

boatnut74

Lieutenant Commander

Looks nice. I think its about ten feet longer now :D.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

That gas tank is ridiculous.

paparoof

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I'm with him ^. Space really becomes an issue in a little boat. After years of using a 6 gallon in my 14', I finally switched to a 3-gallon. Course that's only a 6hp motor, so it'll still last several long weekends of fishing.

What I really wanted to bring up is the issue of center-of-gravity when you start putting casting decks into tiny boats. I put one into the front half of my 14' many years ago with a post seat sticking right up in the middle bass-boat style. My butt was several feet above the water and with such a narrow beam, man-oh-man was she tippy. I'm sure you've stood up in a canoe before right?

mark1961

Ensign

Just looking at the deadrise and freeboard i think he might just be able to get away with a modest casting deck, might have to leave out the seat post though....the tank does actually look way too big in there in the 2nd pic.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Looks nice. I think its about ten feet longer now :D.

Thanks man, feels like it too!

Third photo it doesn't look too bad, second photo it looks massive doesn't it.

What I really wanted to bring up is the issue of center-of-gravity when you start putting casting decks into tiny boats.

Just looking at the deadrise and freeboard i think he might just be able to get away with a modest casting deck, might have to leave out the seat post though....

Actually, I pretty much decided yesterday is that the deck will be straight on, bow to stern, no casting deck. And actually, no pedestal seats in this boat just two benches (one at the stern and one bow side) plus the captains seat.

I can still get that tank in the bow but I'd lose a few inches of deck height. Fittings would poke up into the captains chair seat box. I'm not so much into going this route.

Or, it can go with where the tank is up in that photo ^^^. The bench to house the tank would just be a wide one is all. Plenty low in the boat.

Post #49 on this thread is layout I am after on this rig;)

In the meantime, I'll look for a pair of reasonable $$ 6 gallon portable tanks. If I can find em, I'll go that route instead. If there is a deal out there, I'll find it:)

dozerII

Admiral

Jason, that was like a tutorial on how to open and aluminum can in three easy steps, great job, sure give the open airy fell.
Glen

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Jason, that was like a tutorial on how to open and aluminum can in three easy steps, great job, sure give the open airy fell.
Glen

Thanks Glen! Yah, feels like a whole new rig now:)

In the meantime, I'll look for a pair of reasonable $$ 6 gallon portable tanks. If I can find em, I'll go that route instead. If there is a deal out there, I'll find it:)

All right, just did some measuring. Either way fuel tank(s) will go in a stern bench hatch. The bench will be the same height regardless if I stay with the alum tank or go with portables.

Now, if I stay with the alum tank the bench will be 21" wide as opposed to 14" wide with portables. Do I really care about that 7"? That's actually the only real difference between those two routes.

What do you think ez, still ridiculous or not so much?

I kinda think it would make for a nice spot to stand and cast/jig.

wa_ssv197

Petty Officer 1st Class

I see where you are going with this and like it. A nice simple fishing boat.
If you want the tank up front, you could do a "casting platform" depending on the height of the tank with the filler and vent hoses.
By looking at the last photo if the height is between the lines that are on the inside of the hull you should be left with plenty of gunnel height.

crablegs

Petty Officer 2nd Class

On the trolling motor. Minn Kota transom mount trolling motors are easy to convert. You unscrew one bolt under the head of the troller, spin the handle around and put the bolt back through, and wala! Bow mount trolling motor!

Broadcast

Petty Officer 1st Class

Jas, all this "King of Customization" is gonna ruin your bottom feeder image. May have to upgrade you. Tons of room for more fish'in!

Me likey!

chrisp929

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hey,

Since i splashed my boat, i rode around for 2 days this past weekend and i noticed no difference in gas consumption. I filled up the 6 gallon tank before i went out and its still full. And i have a 1987 50 hp johnson. So honestly you dont need two 6 gallon tanks. You really dont even need one. I'm considering dumping my 6 gallon tank for a three gallon, mainly to save room in my little 14 footer. Just fyi...

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

I see where you are going with this and like it. A nice simple fishing boat.

Yah, that is what I am shooting for. If it's a simple fishing rig it should also be simple to build;)

Me likey!

Thanks for swinging through bcast!

Hey,

Since i splashed my boat, i rode around for 2 days this past weekend and i noticed no difference in gas consumption. I filled up the 6 gallon tank before i went out and its still full. And i have a 1987 50 hp johnson. So honestly you dont need two 6 gallon tanks. You really dont even need one. I'm considering dumping my 6 gallon tank for a three gallon, mainly to save room in my little 14 footer. Just fyi...

That is pretty good info Chris. Yah, I suppose I could just go with one 6 gal tank and bring along a small jerry can. Course I don't get any coolness points for running out of gas, stopping and refuel with my jerry can. I am pretty sure it's illegal to do on the water too.

I popped that alum tank on clist, we'll see if it sells, I priced it right.

I spent a good part of the day working hard to clear out the garage enough to slide that Jet Star in. Ended up with a little elbow room too...
P1060381.jpg

paparoof

Senior Chief Petty Officer

aw - and there's the big girl just sticking the tip of her nose into the picture.

"Don't forget about me fellas!"

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

aw - and there's the big girl just sticking the tip of her nose into the picture.

"Don't forget about me fellas!"

I know, sad. She sitting off in the "on deck" position now, bummer.

OK, so been trying to get at the Jet for the past few days, here is what I have.

I am going to put some serious effort into spending as close to nothing as possible on this. Since the Johnson 50 and controls are already here, that is big money that I don't have to spend. I do have to pick up a new steering cable assembly, but that is really just about it. I think I have most everything already here!:)

So first up I had to scrounge through and sort all the alum stuff I have ripped, cut, removed from the four boats that have made their way here. I was hunting for alum to become bow structure...
P1060383.jpg

Beside the bow structure I also need to get at the trailer. So pulled that out and started prepping for paint...
P1060385.jpg

It's hard to describe just how excited I am to be working on a trailer again.:facepalm:

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Sorted out some pieces of alum that will become my bow structure. Cut and shaped...
P1060386.jpg

The piece on the left was originally the shelf at the helm from the Jet. The two other pieces were from the Islander gunwale riser deals that I cut off.

You can see for the nose piece I cut off that lower angle - should provide for a nice round radius bend in the alum vs. a crease. Gently shaped by hand a little.

Then I ran a quick dry fit to make sure I have what I want...
P1060387.jpg

All good so I went at it, port side piece riveted in...
P1060388.jpg

Then the starboard...
P1060389.jpg

Then the bow...
P1060390.jpg

See what I am after?
P1060391.jpg

I have alum angle for the top and bottom that should finish it nicely.

Everything feels bomber, very strong, like it!

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Couple more...

P1060392.jpg

P1060393.jpg

Very satisfied with how that turned out so far:)

I know it's not much to look at right now - just structure anyway. She has to have good bones;)

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

painted up that should look surprisingly non-ghetto :)

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

painted up that should look surprisingly non-ghetto :)

That's what I am after, non ghetto looking rig;)

Speaking of paint, I'm astrugglin with my paint scheme a lil:confused:

Huron Angler

Admiral

That's what I am after, non ghetto looking rig;)

Speaking of paint, I'm astrugglin with my paint scheme a lil:confused:

Looks good, almost like you are trying to reverse engineer an SS model with that trim:D

You should steal Azlo's paint scheme:)

Maybe something bright, so folks see you when you are anchored on the river jigging for walleye?