1969 Starcraft Chieftain Restoration

Status
Not open for further replies.

Huron Angler

Admiral
Re: 1969 Cheiftan Restoration

I'd love to wake up and have a gorgeous, classic American, strange...yet alluring new girl in the driveway.:D

Makes for a great morning, even if we are only talking about a sweet tin cuddy;)

Glad the trip went well, looking forward to seeing what ya dragged home.:cool:

KellyC

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Glad you made it home safe and sound with no problems on the way Alpheus. That will be a sweet girl when you get her all done up bud. I can't wait to get my Islander going good, but time and money are the only thing stopping me. Well mostly the money issue as that really sucks but oh well. Am still hoping to get mine in the water before the spring salmon run.:D

N1265

Petty Officer 1st Class

Being tired is no reason for not posting a picture, I think I read it in the iboats forum rules.

I'm just saying....

:D

fshngho

Lieutenant

Anybody want to take bets that Al gets up, goes outside, and walks around the boat? Yeah, I agree, its Christmas a litlle early.
Officially Welcome to club:D

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Glad the tow was uneventful. Welcome to the Starmada!

Alpheus

Lieutenant Commander

OK Im up and had my coffee and started moving around. Here are some pics.

These ones were taken yesterday at Joes house. My old lady took them. (She fell in love with this boat)

100_2701.jpg

100_2704.jpg

100_2708.jpg

100_2711.jpg

100_2713.jpg

100_2715.jpg

Alpheus

Lieutenant Commander

100_2719.jpg

And these ones were taken today at my house. Got only a couple of pics before camera batteries died.

100_2726.jpg

100_2727.jpg

100_2731.jpg

I will take more pics of the engine later today. I put the battery (for the boat) on the charger last night. I am going to start this old girl today.

I am going to take her out on the water later this weekend and see how she goes before I tear her apart.

I took these pics of the fuel computer in my truck. I took this one when I pulled in at Joes. I was getting 15.8 MPG before all the stop and go traffic in Philly.
100_2699.jpg

I reset the computer after I hooked the boat up and snapped this pic when I got home last night.
100_2724.jpg

Its not the heaviest boat I have ever pulled but the Hemi was suckin down the gas on the way home...

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

That interior needs a smidge bit of work :p Hull looks amazing though! Interestin, my buddy's 21 Chieftain has those exact same fixed tabs on the back. Wonder if they were stock?

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Tell ya what Bruce, even though the interior needs a total replacement you can tell that Joe cared for that boat. So many of these old rigs are absolute trash. That hull looks super straight and clean! Again, another mark of a guy who cared for his boat.

Congrats man! She looks like a super project!:D

barato

Petty Officer 1st Class

nice boat, well worth the work to resto....as Jas pointed out, we see so many that are but a tin tabla rasa (or scrap, in the eyes of prev owner).

EZ, you may be onto something there....those tabs look nearly identical to the ones on my 64 Starchief.

Alph, you just made me feel MUCH better about my towing mpg....i get the same 15 mpg with the boat behind that you get without one. ironically, you're getting about the same mileage....with boat or without...that i used to get with my 74 Dodge truck (440 cu in 4bbl). technology marches onward.....now we don't need no stinkin B block to get those #s. :rolleyes::D

Alpheus

Lieutenant Commander

Here is a quick video of me firing this old girl up. I had to hold full throttle on her a bit because before I started it I was playing with the carb a bit and was pumping the gas then I pumped it again not thinking while I was filming this. She may have been flooded a bit but shes running good now...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNtwWp19Rg4

Huron Angler

Admiral

I'm with Jason on this one, that hull looks to be in nearly immaculate shape as far as original paint with no scratches or dents.:D

Nice-looking boat ya got there. Glad to have you in the armada Alpheus, looking forward to seeing what you've got planned for the rig.:)

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I can't believe it started with that slow of cranking. Bad battery? Weak starter? Motor sounded good though.

fshngho

Lieutenant

Sounds great there Alpheus. Two quick things you probably know. You can burn up a starter with a weak/bad battery and 2, I don't know what Joe did, but I would change the impeller to be safe.
Congrats Dude. Can't wait for the splash video. Uh, turn the camera next time, I got a crick in my neck, LOL

Alpheus

Lieutenant Commander

I used my phone for the video.

The battery had over 15 volts while on the charger and over 13 volts off, and checked the amperage with carbon pile load tester,so the battery is not weak. She don't turn over slow now and didnt turn over slow last week in Philly. I think she was flooded.

100_2732.jpg

100_2733.jpg

Thats outdrive oil laying in there
100_2734.jpg

100_2737.jpg

Last edited:

fshngho

Lieutenant

Trust me, I know very little about IB's. If those things have thermostats then its unlikely they would open up for flow running on a hose. Constant cold water coming in may prevent that from happening. I would still change the impellar though.;)

Alpheus

Lieutenant Commander

Trust me, I know very little about IB's. If those things have thermostats then its unlikely they would open up for flow running on a hose. Constant cold water coming in may prevent that from happening. I would still change the impellar though.;)

I took the hose that comes from the bell housing off from the front. This is before it goes into the engine and there was no water coming out of it at all (no water getting to engine from out drive)

Alpheus

Lieutenant Commander

Well I lit the first fire of the season in my garage and started tearing down the outdrive.

100_2740.jpg

As for the boat, it is getting stripped starting this weekend. The engine comes out tomorrow...

Last edited:

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

You sir, do not mess around.

Pugetsound

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 1969 Chieftain Restoration

Re: 1969 Chieftain Restoration

What a neat place to work in. The impeller looks to bent to work anyway . good luck on the rebuild I had big Glasplys and a 23 ft reinell cabin boat and loved them all . Just got to old to handle ,now my 22 holiday is a fine boat. I need new top and drop curtian and I'm all set. Nice Boat. Most parlors do not look that nice. great place to meditate and work.

Status
Not open for further replies.