1969 Starcraft Chieftain Restoration

Status
Not open for further replies.

proshadetree

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 1969 Starcraft Chieftain Restoration

Oh you killed it I was going to the dump and buy that hull to save it. Will a stringer fit that hole? I loves them drives. I still pitty you riveting that patch in. I guess it ok you killed a linner if you got to do that.

Alpheus

Lieutenant Commander

Yesterday I was able to break away and get my new heads put back together. I had taken the valves out and I hot tanked,magna fluxed and Used a dye penetrant the to check them for cracks. Not finding any I started reassembly. The valves and the valve seats were in really good condition so I decided just to lap them in.
IMAG0032-1.jpg

In case any one doesent know what that means I took a couple of pics while I was doing it.

Basically its just using a cutting compound to create a perfect mating surface of the valve face and the valve seat

Here is a couple of pics of the before. (I used my cell phone) The shiny face of the valve is what Im looking to rectify.
IMAG0038.jpg

IMAG0039.jpg

You then put a cutting compound on the valve.
IMAG0037.jpg

IMAG0040.jpg

and using a valve lapping tool insert the valve into the head and spin the valve by hand.
IMAG0035.jpg

Alpheus

Lieutenant Commander

IMAG0036.jpg

Here you can see the new surface on the valve and the seat. This will ensure a perfect seal.
IMAG0034.jpg

IMAG0033.jpg

While I was at it I installed new valve seals. You can see that the old ones were a little worn. (old one on the left)
IMAG0042.jpg

New one installed.
IMAG0043.jpg

The tool I used to remove and install my valves can be picked up at Harbor Freight for less than 15 bucks. I used to own a more expensive one and I lost it, but this one does just as good of job.
IMAG0044.jpg

Alpheus

Lieutenant Commander

And here they are, 25 horses just waiting to be bolted up. I have ordered a new intake and it will be here in a few days.
IMAG0045.jpg

proshadetree

Lieutenant Commander

I got tired of hand laping valves I use a reversible drill on the stem loads quicker and easier. My hats off to you. Are you just working out to prepare for the patch installation?

Alpheus

Lieutenant Commander

I used a drill on them. I have a tool that has the suction cup on one end and the other fits into my drill. I have lots of experience with lapping them by hand and know what to listen for. I just didnt post that here just in case someone who has not done it before tries it and ruins a set of heads.

As for the patch, Im just waiting for the temp to raise up a bit before I start hammering rivets...

tgp***

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Wow! Now thats a rebuild. Keep up the good work. I enjoy all the photo's too.

Alpheus

Lieutenant Commander

I know this has taken a bit of a turn from working on the hull of the boat to refreshing its power plant, but its just been to darn cold to work outside.

Today I decided to remove the pistons and check out the clearanced of the bearings using Plastigage. Well I found lots of good news and a little bad, well not so bad just a little hiccup.

The good news
While cleaning up the block today I found a label where the Mercruiser serial number tag should be. It read US Engines and had a date of 2007. Looks like this boat had just been re-powered a couple of years ago. The person I bought it from hasn't used the boat in 2 years

I checked out all of the bearing clearances and they were all PERFECT. The bearings and the crank didnt have a mark on them and the gray coating on the bearings wasnt even worn at all. The cylinders still have the hone marks. This engine doesnt have allot of hours on it.

I finally got my camera charged up and snapped a couple of pics. I had already put the bearing caps back on.

IMAG0049.jpg

Here is the cylinder.
IMAG0052.jpg

The Hiccup

On the #1 cylinder the exhaust valve was stuck open and there was plenty of rust on it. When I pulled out that piston I found that the rings where frozen in the grooves.

IMAG0050.jpg

Here is what it should look like (#3 piston)

IMAG0051.jpg

I have a trick for getting the rings off without damaging them. I use an old crockpot full of antifreeze. I will soak the piston in the hot AF over night and they usually come right out.

proshadetree

Lieutenant Commander

Never heard that one before. I might just try that the next time I have stuck rings on a mill.

fshngho

Lieutenant

Don't ya just love it when ya get a tip like that???? Thanks Alpheus, hope I don't need that advice, but it's cool that you let us know. Rock on Bro!! Very Impressive and for backyard mechanics like myself, this is very interesting.

I have really enjoyed your thread on this boat. And especially the mechanicals part. We don't see too much of that on here. I have a question - do you still have to dress the cylinders a little before putting back in the pistons? A little honing? Also, will those rings release or pop back out? Or will you have to replace them before installing the piston?

Alpheus

Lieutenant Commander

I am going to "lightly" hone the cylinders just to clean them up from sitting for 2 years.

I just checked my piston and the rings popped right out. I will clean up the grooves and the rings and reuse them.

I will get some pics up later...

mercury713

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You must of bine happy just a stuck Valve.

Why don't you take the caps of the Carb? Could you get a fine with Caps off?

Triton II

Commander

Why don't you take the caps of the Carb? Could you get a fine with Caps off?

Having looked at the pic I believe (but Alpheus has WAY more knowledge than me on this, so please correct me if I'm barking up the wrong tree here - it's been known :)) the marine carbs use the same basic body but the vacuum ports you can see are never machined out to fit the hose fittings, thus they're permanently blocked.

TII

Alpheus

Lieutenant Commander

There are allot of differences between the auto and the marine carb. Here are the differences straight from Edelbrock web sight...

Designed and calibrated from Edelbrock for use in marine applications, these Edelbrock carbs comply with U.S. Coast Guard safety standards.Cast surfaces are iridited with Teflon-coated shafts and pump arms for maximum protection. Other features include modified bowl venting, specially designed throttle shafts, an accelerator pump seal, a 3/8 in. inverted flare fuel inlet fitting, tube in airhorn for fuel pump vent, a 5 1/8 in. flame arrestor flange, a universal throttle lever, and revised secondaries for improved transient performance.

Alpheus

Lieutenant Commander

Today was a little hectic at work but I was able to break away and get my pistons cleaned up. This is the piston that had the frozen rings. I used an ultrasonic cleaner at work to clean them up. You just throw the pistons in the machine and hit the on button. It heats up the solvent and uses high frequency to remove the crud. This is what it looked like before.

IMAG0053.jpg

And here is the same piston 30 minutes later.

IMAG0054.jpg

Im just about to start putting this baby back together...

proshadetree

Lieutenant Commander

Last time I dropped a set of pistons in parts cleaner they locked up on the rod. Machinist said particles got between pin and piston and seized them up. I want your parts cleaner. Too cool.:)

Alpheus

Lieutenant Commander

It was slow today at work so I decided it was time to choose a color to paint my engine. I started with the heads since I allready had them sitting on my toolbox. While I was thinking of a color I taped up all of the surfaces that I didnt want any paint on.
IMAG0055.jpg

IMAG0056.jpg

Then it hit me. A color that I dont remember ever seeing on a boat before. I liked the way that Bondo had painted his engine on his Starcraft So I decided I would go that route except with a different color. Something loud and bright.

A couple of sprays with the can and:

Wait for it!!!

IMAG0058.jpg

IMAG0057.jpg

LIME GREEN

I think it will look neat. Yes it matches nothing that will be on the boat, but its all covered up anyways. I will spray the block tomorrow...

fat fanny

Lieutenant Commander

WOW! that's LOUD!!!!!!!!!! but just a shade darker and you would have nailed it I can't remember that mopar color you see on all those muscle cars. Thats gonna be my choice but yours is different and will show any leaks real quick. Can't wait to see the finish product assembled. As always enjoying your work.

Status
Not open for further replies.