Bass Hawk 196XL with transom problems

alexapearce

Cadet
Ok i have a 1988 Bass Hawk 196XL bass boat with a 200hp Suzuki on it, i see the transom getting weak and i am thinking of redoing it my self not sure to do it with seacast or to tear it apart and use plywood?I love the boat it rides great and it has all digital gauges in it from the factory and it talks to you(no it is not the voices in my head either lol)i am the fourth owner of the boat and they all are locals here that used to own it so any advice for me.

Attachments

• myboat013.jpg
    myboat013.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 0
  • myboat012.jpg
    myboat012.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 0
  • myboat004.jpg
    myboat004.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 0

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: Bass Hawk 196XL with transom problems

Welcome to iBoats!

Post some pics of the Transom from the back, Top, Sides etc.
This will give us a perspective of what you are dealing with.
If your transom is weak you may have other issue to deal with. Typically a rotting transom indicates other issues below decks. i.e. stringers. Do you have any soft spots in the deck? Have you checked all of your live wells and storage lockers for signs of decay? You need to do a good inspection of the boat to see if there are other signs of things going on below the deck. Seacast or Nida bond are both possibilities IF the transom is the only thing wrong. If there is more going on then you will possibly need to take the top cap off and do more work below the deck to bring her back to her original GOOD shape. There is plenty of help here on the forum to get you thru the process, what ever it turns out to be.

Post up those pics of the transom so we can see what you see.

I'm just sayin...:D

alexapearce

Cadet

ok i will go take some good pics of it and will post them on here

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

In my opinion (and that's all it is) is that SeaCast/Nida/etc are fantastic for boats that are in otherwise good condition but have shot transoms. You remove the motor and transom capping, dig out the old wood and pour in the new material. Done. However, for boats that need deck and stringer work also and you've got the whole thing torn up anyway, I'd just stick with wood.

alexapearce

Cadet

ok here are some pics of the inside of the transom(the ones that are bothering me)
and would it be better to go composite or back wood......the boat is heavy like a ranger so i'm not sure what composite would do or if it would be worth the money

Attachments

• DSCN0144.jpg
    DSCN0144.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCN0138.jpg
    DSCN0138.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCN0139.jpg
    DSCN0139.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 0

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Based on what I'm seeing that transom is NOT going to lend itself to Pouring seacast. It does not appear to have an inner skin. You would need to fabricate one, provid for clamping etc. which is complicated. I really belive you would be much better off removing the top cap and in doing so you could then go back with wood.

justchecking

Petty Officer 2nd Class

My Bass Hawk 17XL (1984) does have an inner transom skin, yours probably does too. The bottom is heavily stepped so the stringers (at least on mine) do not run all the way to the transom. They are encapsulated and may be ok. On mine the transom is quite rotten as well as the floor. The front and rear decks are all fiberglass and only the seating area and the area between the consoles is plywood. Repairing the transom wouldn't be too bad. The floor is another story.

If you decide to pop yours apart and fix it I'd like to see the pics. Mine is sitting in the field waiting on a scrap/sell decision. The motor is bolted to the horse stall in my dad's barn. :D

I found a great $1000 boat and trailer on Craigslist (bad motor) that I will be moving the good motor to. The only repair the new boat needed was a little teak oil.

Attachments

• BassHawk17XL_1.jpg
    BassHawk17XL_1.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 0
  • BassHawk17XL_2.jpg
    BassHawk17XL_2.jpg
    151.8 KB · Views: 0
  • BassHawk17XL_4.JPG
    BassHawk17XL_4.JPG
    141.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

alexapearce

Cadet

So wood will be better than composite cause i really do not want to do it again

dude11

Petty Officer 1st Class

Nice boat,good advice now is to "lean" into the info from these guys--and read your tail off in the forums--if you never have replaced or had to rebuild transom & deck,this is the smart shop.Good luck,and yeah,everybody loves pics.:D-dude11

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I properly sealed wood transom will outlast your interest in this particular boat.

alexapearce

Cadet

ok next question is my transom is 3 inches thick will pressure treated work as good as marine grade.........i worked in a boat yard in FL. for almost two years but it was on big boats just never busted one open before but with every ones help i sure i can handle it.

mav6759

Chief Petty Officer

I was watching some of the posts and I had the same problem with my boat. I have a 1987 Ranger Astec and the transom went bad. I used Seacast back in 2003. And my transsom has took some punishment and its still going strong with no signs of weakness. If you do decide to use Seacast make sure you remove as much of the wood as possible because seacast won't bond to wood. After you have removed as much of the wood as you can, get some fiberglass cloth and line your transom from top to bottom. (the more fiberglass cloth you use, the stronger your transom is going to be) I folded about five layers of fiberglass cloth to line the bottom, and about three layers for the front, back and sides of the transom. Then I poured the Seacast on top of all that fiberglass. You can't move my transom, best thing I every did. And the cloth was cheap at Walmart.

Isaacm1986

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Here is my Oppionion on Nidabond, or seacast.

GREAT products. I have used nidabond 3 times now, and each time it has worked well. I think if money is not a issue, it is well worth the expense to go this route. Not only will you ever have to do the transom again, neither will the next buyer. It adds a great "selling" point to the boat as well.

So in conclusion. Anytime the wallet will allow, I think it is worth the money.

alexapearce

Cadet

well i dont have money to burn but i will spend what it takes to restore this for when i get done with it my 14 year old son wants it real bad so i guess it will be his when he gets old enough.So i am doing this restore for long term for me and my boy.

alexapearce

Cadet

the question i have is i have not found no one that has put nidabond or seacast in a bass boat with a jack plate so how well would it hold up here?

justchecking

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Have you thoroughly checked out the condition of the floor? Is any part plywood? On mine there are two 3" floor drains just in front of the consoles that can be removed. Feel around in there and see what the flooring condition is.

Also inside the consoles (in the corners on the floor) try to push something sharp (like an awl) into the floor to test. Some advise thumping it with a fiber hammer I think. Water collects there, drys slowly, and can cause rot.

Isaacm1986

Lieutenant Junior Grade

the question i have is i have not found no one that has put nidabond or seacast in a bass boat with a jack plate so how well would it hold up here?

I put nidabond in a 1978 ranger bass boat.

DSC_0023.jpg

I have also put nidabond in a 1979 cheetah with a jack plate on the back. It runs along nicely.

DSC_0020-1-1.jpg

The nidabond has 9x the compressive strength of marine plywood. You will not need to worry about the jack plate. The transom will be more than strong to handle it.

Just my opinion.

alexapearce

Cadet

Okay so i have decided to go head and redo the transom and stringers with wood so i am going to start putting pics on here or would it be better to start a new thread on here

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Just keep going with this one. Are you planning on removing the top Cap??