Boat Seat Foam

jetskier16

Petty Officer 2nd Class
So im restoring an old runabout for rectrational use. Im using pedestal seats for the front two seats but want to build a bench seat for the back. Im looking at marine grade foam, but im on a budget and was wondering if it would be ok to use non-marine grade foam. Im am, however, using marine grade vinyl.

Thanks so much for any help!

Last edited:

JAFO1

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Boat Seat Foam

So im restoring an old runabout for rectrational use. Im using peditool seats for the front two seats but want to build a bench seat for the back. Im looking at marine grade foam, but im on a budget and was wondering if it would be ok to use non-marine grade foam. Im am, however, using marine grade vinyl.

Thanks so much for any help!

From what I've seen, most guys try to reuse their old foam. I was following one thread where the guy was looking for old patio furniture to re-purpose the foam into boat seats. A friend of mine does upholstery and he said he used regular foam and then wraps the foam in plastic and then covers it with the vinyl. Hope this helps.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Welcome to iBoats!
Use regular foam, go to the Cleaners and ask for some Garment Bags. Bag your foam glue it all shut and it will last as long as you have the boat.

Here's a good online source for your foam

http://www.onlinefabricstore.net/foam-and-pillows/foam/upholstery-foam/upholstery-foam.aspx?gclid=CJ-u0tW8sKQCFQwxiQodC0Ux1Q

You might like this as well
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=379388&highlight=sewing=

and he made 16 videos too
http://s726.photobucket.com/albums/w...shions/videos/

I'm just sayin...:D

jetskier16

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks you guys! Just saved me some good money! Im new to this site and i like how everyone seems to be realistic and practical on here. :D

wishboneZ51

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yes and plenty of pics of your hard work for us too see please.:D

As a note of caution, you will get more responces to your posts if you keep them all together under one thread and keeps the clutter down as well as confusion.

Alpheus

Lieutenant Commander

If you lived around me I could give you all the foam that you wanted for free. I work for an airline and the seat cushions get changed out annually. I haved used this stuff for many projects and the best part is that they can be used as a floatation device in the unlikely event of a water landing...:D

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Hello Jet...

My Aunt is a pro upholsterer and still recommends Marine..

However..she said you could probably goto your locals and ask for scraps and still make it work ( your going to Marine vinyl over it ).

I still have my personal doubts about it..but You may check what kinda scraps you can get.

I also did some digging on this.. might want to check this out m8..

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=58563

Ill call up my locals to see if its true to get scraps for 10C on the dollar :) .

YD.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

OH..and seeing as these are Custom cushions..are they going to be removable..or SS stapled onto a hard bottom ( ply .. marine ? ) .. basically what is going to be your base for this.. breathable..or just screwed in ?

YD.

jetskier16

Petty Officer 2nd Class

OH..and seeing as these are Custom cushions..are they going to be removable..or SS stapled onto a hard bottom ( ply .. marine ? ) .. basically what is going to be your base for this.. breathable..or just screwed in ?

YD.

I was going to use plywood for the base, then covered in marrine grade vinyl(stappled)

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Use Stainless staples ..

Have you decided to go with ? ...

YD.

PS. Sorry forgot about calling my locals..by the time I get home there closed..and lunchtime is more about stuffing my tum tum :) .

jetskier16

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well seeing as I found a soft spot in the floor and how im going to have to replace it, i gotta save money where i can so im going to use the non-marine grade stuff and plastic it, 2x2 frame with plywood sides, marine grade vinyl to top it off. But i will make sure to use SS staples, thanks!