1965 Johnson Tri-Hull restore!

parrisw

Ensign
Re: 1964 Johnson Tri-Hull restore!

I like doug fir..

I used to make signs as well With MDO .. good stuff for signs ..or forms..

But I would not suggest you use it for your boat.

It has a coating on it that prevents absorbtion .. there making it a good wood for painting ( does not drink ). Now..your resin and glass may stick to this coating..but that coating is not ment for bonding glass.

Nice stuff though..just not for boats.

Leave your stringers alone if there not soaked up with water ( freeze popping is a bad thing ).

I love 2 part foam :) .. Just make sure you dont trap air when using..or you could Pop something :) .

YD.

Don't forget that the resin and glass will add approximately 1/4 of an inch to the over all thickness of your transom so you only need two 1/2 " pieces of wood to get to 1 1/4 " You will have to go to a REAL Lumber Yard to get 1/2" MDO or LOWE's can order it for you.

I disagree with YD about the MDO and so does the APA. MDO and HDO is used in Boats all the time and Glass bonds with it exceptionally well. As my previously posted pdf file explained.

I'm just sayin...:D

Thanks guys. The MDO that I can get wont be the right size anyway, they had fir plywood, I'll check into that.

parrisw

Ensign

OH for got to mention! grinding the transom SUCKS!!!!!!!! Now please tell me its fine to leave the old glue on there, it looks to be PB, its freakin hard stuff, and very hard to grind through, will it be ok to just feather out the edges of the glue, and as long as all the wood is ground off then I can glue the new stuff to that!

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Sorry, but you need to Grind until you get to clean Glass!!!
what are you using to grind with

If you go with the fir Ply wood get the Best Exterior Grade CDX you can find. It WILL warp so when you get it home let it acclimate to your garage and put some weight on it. Even then it will still Warp so be prepared for that. It WILL soak up resin. Make sure and coat the wood with resin first and then apply the glass mat. Mix up some Thickened resin to GLUE the wood to the outer skin. Make sure to have already fiigured out how you are going to clamp it all in place BEFORE you start applying the resin. You will not have much time to get everything in place once you start mixing and spreading and applying glass.

parrisw

Ensign

Sorry, but you need to Grind until you get to clean Glass!!!
what are you using to grind with

If you go with the fir Ply wood get the Best Exterior Grade CDX you can find. It WILL warp so when you get it home let it acclimate to your garage and put some weight on it. Even then it will still Warp so be prepared for that. It WILL soak up resin. Make sure and coat the wood with resin first and then apply the glass mat. Mix up some Thickened resin to GLUE the wood to the outer skin. Make sure to have already fiigured out how you are going to clamp it all in place BEFORE you start applying the resin. You will not have much time to get everything in place once you start mixing and spreading and applying glass.

Ahh crap!!!! I've been using a belt sander and a angle grinder. Please tell me there is a better way, I ground for hours today and not even close.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Have any updated pics of the trans..and the putty that your talking about ?

It all depends on what the putty was used for.. In a perfect world you would grind it all out.

But pics would help again..

YD.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Get a couple of 36 Grit Flap Disc Sanding pads for your grinder. They look like this and you should be able to get em at Lowe's or HD.

fd-thumb.JPG

You'll be done in NO TIME!

Please tell me you're wearin one of these and if you're not buy one at Lowes
00918043000-2

parrisw

Ensign

Have any updated pics of the trans..and the putty that your talking about ?

It all depends on what the putty was used for.. In a perfect world you would grind it all out.

But pics would help again..

YD.

I'll get some pics

Get a couple of 36 Grit Flap Disc Sanding pads for your grinder. They look like this and you should be able to get em at Lowe's or HD.

fd-thumb.JPG

You'll be done in NO TIME!

Please tell me you're wearin one of these and if you're not buy one at Lowes
00918043000-2

Yup I picked up a respirator today. I've been using the flap discs, but not 36 grit, I'll get some.

Thanks!

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Not to start another hee you ..I you thing..

Those are sanding disks..not grinding disks.. You will burn them up in 60 seconds :) ( well I would ) .

Get some 24 grit 3m 4.5 " disks ( or If your wanting quick on the fly change get a 3m Quick-lok system :) oh .. baby the cats meow when your in a grinding suit and need to change disks and cant find the friggin wrench..

YD.

parrisw

Ensign

Here are a couple of pics.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• P1020892.JPG
    P1020892.JPG
    109.6 KB · Views: 2
  • P1020893.JPG
    P1020893.JPG
    116.7 KB · Views: 2

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Despite what the experts may say, there's no way in heck I'd be grinding all that off.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

I agree with EZ, seeing the pics, I believe that using Resin PB to adhere your new transom to what you have will be Plenty good. But I'm sure YD will have another.
This will make YD feel better
flap-disc-404677.jpg

parrisw

Ensign

Despite what the experts may say, there's no way in heck I'd be grinding all that off.

Funny, I was thinking the same thing!

I agree with EZ, seeing the pics, I believe that using Resin PB to adhere your new transom to what you have will be Plenty good. But I'm sure YD will have another.
This will make YD feel better
flap-disc-404677.jpg

ha ha ha. Thanks! So how much time do I have to actually spread the PB then get the transom in there? Should the back of the transom be coated with resin prior?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Yes, I would coat the back of the transom with resin and I would also put on a layer of 1.5 oz mat and then spread the butter. You can let the Transom Dry completely if you want just try and keep it from warping if you do. Depending on Temp's and resin mix you'll have 15-30 mins to get her in and clamp her down.

parrisw

Ensign

Yes, I would coat the back of the transom with resin and I would also put on a layer of 1.5 oz mat and then spread the butter. You can let the Transom Dry completely if you want just try and keep it from warping if you do. Depending on Temp's and resin mix you'll have 15-30 mins to get her in and clamp her down.

So resin + 1.5oz matt on the back of the transom let it set, then glue down the transom?

Also the transom before never went down to the bottom of the hull in the middle, the hull has a good crack/separation from where it meets the transom so it needs a little glass repair there before the transom goes in, it also has a bilge plug in there still, its the style that you just stick in a plug and fold over the lever to expand the plug. Should I take that all out then put the transom all the way down to the hull bottom and put in a better style bilge plug? I'll take a pic of it.

parrisw

Ensign

Here is a few pics. You can see where the light is coming through. Now the transom never went down that far before, it just sat on top of the stringers. Should I extend it all the way down?

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• P1020894.JPG
    P1020894.JPG
    114.9 KB · Views: 1
  • P1020895.jpg
    P1020895.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 1
  • P1020896.JPG
    P1020896.JPG
    117.1 KB · Views: 1

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Yep you're gunna have to grind back the glass 8 to 10 inches, feather it out and lay in 3 or 4 layers of progressively larger patches to build that area up to reinforce it. I would remove that old drain tube and replace it with a new brass one. I would also run the new transom down like this.
attachment.php

I would also seriously consider grinding and feathering all of those other holes in the transom and filling them with glass patches and resin. Do Both sides. You can then re drill any holes needed. You'll have a much better end product when you're finished.

Attachments

• NewTransom.jpg
    NewTransom.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 1

parrisw

Ensign

Yep you're gunna have to grind back the glass 8 to 10 inches, feather it out and lay in 3 or 4 layers of progressively larger patches to build that area up to reinforce it. I would remove that old drain tube and replace it with a new brass one. I would also run the new transom down like this.
attachment.php

I would also seriously consider grinding and feathering all of those other holes in the transom and filling them with glass patches and resin. Do Both sides. You can then re drill any holes needed. You'll have a much better end product when you're finished.

Thanks! But the transom will go all the way out to the sides not just where your red line ends. I was going to plug all the other holes that I won't be using, was planning on leaving the holes for the motor though. What do you use to fill the holes? Just PB?

parrisw

Ensign

OH, and PLEASE let this grinding come to an end!!!!!!! Geeze what a job. So I picked up an actual grinding disc since I couldn't find any of those flap wheels in 36g, the wheel I got was for masonry, and well, it removes it in a hurry, so I ground out allot more of that gray filler/glue, and I think its good to go now. So I spent a little time grinding out the tabbing from the floor.

I can't believe the lack of tabbing in the transom and floor in this boat, had one strip, and found a fair number of dry spots.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

If the transom goes all the way to the sides then take it all the way to the bottom as well. As for how to fix the holes...

This will give you the basic idea
http://www.boatus.com/boattech/casey/17.htm