1965 Johnson Tri-Hull restore!

parrisw

Ensign
Re: 1964 Johnson Tri-Hull restore!

Amazing!!!! I guess the manufacturer figured they did such a GREAT job that NO ONE would EVER need to Separate the Two halves. When you put it back together use some 3M 4200. That way the NEXT owner won't be cussin like you were.

I'm just sayin...:D

ha ha. ya, it was some stuck glue on there!

Hi Parrisw.

I'm Doing the same project on my 1967 19' Johnson Surfer.
The foam comes out fairly easy but I think I'm going to need
to replace my stringers as well and I'm not sure what to do
to get the motor out, no place to store it and no way to lift
it out.

http://www.theoldglassboats.com/index.php/topic,334.0.html

Thanks I'll check out your thread.

Pllease post picutures of the whole boat, interior and exterior so we can get the 'flavor' of the whole situation.

Great progress your moving along nice. Your making it look easy. Looking forward to your uo dates. :) I wish I could move a long as quick as you.

Thanks for the compliments. I'll try to dig up some pics of it together.

You should pre-prepare for some fitment issues when you put the cap back on. Once you get the transom and stringers back in you going to find that the hull has changed shape slighlty. Be sure the keel is supported and you keep things as square as possible while you are working. Pay close attention to any areas where you think fitment might be a challenge. (splashwell/ transom/ foredeck, ect.)
It will be easy enough to glass back together when the time comes.
I actually can see where your boat would be easier to fit back together than the typical "shoebox" joint I am used to. But if the sides pull in or out just a bit, its going to be a pain to make the new joint look right.
FYW

enjoy
drewp

Its sitting on the trailer right now, will it be ok to leave it on there? How would you recommend making sure it stays the correct shape?

parrisw

Ensign

Here are a few pics!

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_0465 (Small).JPG
    IMG_0465 (Small).JPG
    73.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0466 (Small).JPG
    IMG_0466 (Small).JPG
    60.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0467 (Small).JPG
    IMG_0467 (Small).JPG
    66.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0468 [800x600].JPG
    IMG_0468 [800x600].JPG
    128.8 KB · Views: 0

Hoggar

Seaman

There funky looking old boats, I really like my Surfer and if that thing
cruses on the water like my Surfer its going to be worth every bit of
work you put in to it.

Ive posted more on my thread about redoing the hull of the surfer and
here is another site that might have some info you can use.

OMC Boats 1962-1970

drewpster

Commander

It should be ok on the trailer as long as the keel is supported along its length to keep the boat from "hooking" (bending). You may want to put some spreaders across the top to keep it from pulling the sides in or out when you glass the deck back in. Its not going to be a big deal, just bear in mind that it may move a little and you want to keep the hull/ deck joint as true as possible. Mix your resin as accurately as possible. If you are using Polester (i hope you are) backing off on the hardener (mekp) in warm weather is better than using too much. The resin will shrink slightly. But it will be minimal as long as you mix correctly. Avoid the temptation to mix it hot to harden it faster. Winter is coming so if you are working in cold temps you will have to go hotter, just dont go crazy. Building the resin too thick will also cause heat and shrinking. If you are going to mix fillers, avoid filling large areas all at one time.
I am probably being too alarmist about this, but I have read some horror stories about fitment issues. Just pay attention and try to keep everything true.

Very cool little boat BTW I am looking forward to following your resto.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Wow Parris..

What you have here is one nice built boat !! ..

Probably back in the days before the petrol crash is layup everything !

You only see the inside lams done on some gofast boats now..they will lam the hull/deck seam from the inside..

I Had a 67 catalina that was like that..could of been a One up on your boat ( whoever decided to do this ) but could have been for a one up for military..

Again.. you have a nice woven lammed boat...dont give it up for cheap if your even considering it :) .. or if you are..give me a private :).

YD.

PS. Its a Keeper ..

parrisw

Ensign

There funky looking old boats, I really like my Surfer and if that thing
cruses on the water like my Surfer its going to be worth every bit of
work you put in to it.

Ive posted more on my thread about redoing the hull of the surfer and
here is another site that might have some info you can use.

OMC Boats 1962-1970

Ya its funny looking espicially out of water! Looks great in the water. And yes it goes great in the water, very stable, pulls a tube awesome, great to swim off of. This past summer it did 40mph, now maybe a little more out of it once I get all the waterlogged foam and wood out of it.

It should be ok on the trailer as long as the keel is supported along its length to keep the boat from "hooking" (bending). You may want to put some spreaders across the top to keep it from pulling the sides in or out when you glass the deck back in. Its not going to be a big deal, just bear in mind that it may move a little and you want to keep the hull/ deck joint as true as possible. Mix your resin as accurately as possible. If you are using Polester (i hope you are) backing off on the hardener (mekp) in warm weather is better than using too much. The resin will shrink slightly. But it will be minimal as long as you mix correctly. Avoid the temptation to mix it hot to harden it faster. Winter is coming so if you are working in cold temps you will have to go hotter, just dont go crazy. Building the resin too thick will also cause heat and shrinking. If you are going to mix fillers, avoid filling large areas all at one time.
I am probably being too alarmist about this, but I have read some horror stories about fitment issues. Just pay attention and try to keep everything true.

Very cool little boat BTW I am looking forward to following your resto.

Thank you very much for your tips. Was just looking at the boat, I I think it will be ok as long as I watch, it has very shallow sides so there isn't much to bend.

Wow Parris..

What you have here is one nice built boat !! ..

Probably back in the days before the petrol crash is layup everything !

You only see the inside lams done on some gofast boats now..they will lam the hull/deck seam from the inside..

I Had a 67 catalina that was like that..could of been a One up on your boat ( whoever decided to do this ) but could have been for a one up for military..

Again.. you have a nice woven lammed boat...dont give it up for cheap if your even considering it :) .. or if you are..give me a private :).

YD.

PS. Its a Keeper ..

Thanks! I do love this boat!

parrisw

Ensign

Got the deck up today!! Man what a mess!!! lots of rotten wet wood and foam.

But this rebuild just got easier!! Its got fiberglass stringers!! And a very simple transom, just a rectangle, actually looks like the transom doesn't even go down to the bottom of the hull, so I may extend it down farther for more strength. Here are a few pics.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• P1020883 (Small).JPG
    P1020883 (Small).JPG
    82.6 KB · Views: 2
  • P1020884 (Small).JPG
    P1020884 (Small).JPG
    72 KB · Views: 1
  • P1020885 (Small).JPG
    P1020885 (Small).JPG
    91.4 KB · Views: 1
  • P1020886 (Small).JPG
    P1020886 (Small).JPG
    70.4 KB · Views: 1

parrisw

Ensign

Made some good progress today!

Here is all the floor and foam in my truck, lets have some guesses on how much you think all this will weigh? I'm taking it to the dump tomorrow and they will weigh be before and after. Keep in mine this foam was heavy, fair amount of water in parts of it. Don't know how much if at all it will dry out before I take it to the dump.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Here are a few of my thoughts, please tell me what you think.

Before it was all that pour'd in foam which I'm not putting back in the boat, just a freakin big sponge. It only had a small well at the back of the boat for a bilge, and the transom doesn't go all the way down to the keel, which I think is good, so there is no standing water against the transom if it so happens that water gets in the hull, it will happen with wet skiers getting in and out of the boat. So I was thinking of leaving the transom as is, and leave under the floor completely open so that water can drain all the way to the back if it gets under the floor? And just use closed cell foam from HD cut into strips, and laid under the floor. Just another thought, if the water gets out into the outsides of the stringers it has no way to get back to the bilge? Any thoughts?

Attachments

• P1020887.JPG
    P1020887.JPG
    121.1 KB · Views: 1
  • P1020888.jpg
    P1020888.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 1
  • P1020889.jpg
    P1020889.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 1

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Have you drilled and checked your stringers and transom? With all that wet foam I would be Highly suspicious that they are not wet and need to be replaced as well. Especially with a 46 year old boat. I would for sure be grinding out and replacing the transom. Those ARE some massive looking stringers. I like your idea about using HD slab foam.

parrisw

Ensign

Have you drilled and checked your stringers and transom? With all that wet foam I would be Highly suspicious that they are not wet and need to be replaced as well. Especially with a 46 year old boat. I would for sure be grinding out and replacing the transom. Those ARE some massive looking stringers. I like your idea about using HD slab foam.

Yes the transom is shot!! I just haven't got it out yet!

What would I do with the stringers? I don't really want to cut out the fiberglass stringers?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

You should take a drill and drill into them down as low as you can and check the shavings. If you get light tan dry shavings then you are ok. If you get powder or dark brown wet mushy shavings then you will need to get a grinder and cut and grind out the stringers, and refabricate them if you want your boat to be structurally sound. If they are ok use some 3M 5200 to fill the holes you drilled.

parrisw

Ensign

You should take a drill and drill into them down as low as you can and check the shavings. If you get light tan dry shavings then you are ok. If you get powder or dark brown wet mushy shavings then you will need to get a grinder and cut and grind out the stringers, and refabricate them if you want your boat to be structurally sound. If they are ok use some 3M 5200 to fill the holes you drilled.

Ahh, I see what your thinking now. There is no wood in these stringers! They are foam filled fiberglass stringers. Some of these old OMC boats were built that way.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Oh wow, That is Kool. Well then, get that transom ripped out,and the new one built. I strongly suggest you look into building your new transom out of MDO plywood. IT is a Great product. they use it to make Road signs. Uses marine grade glue, Multi Plys of wood with very little voids in the plys and much cheaper than Marine Grade. And it is FLAT and it STAYS FLAT. Really a superior product.

Check it out

http://www.pacificwoodlaminates.com/img/PDFs/PlywoodGuide.pdf

parrisw

Ensign

Oh wow, That is Kool. Well then, get that transom ripped out,and the new one built. I strongly suggest you look into building your new transom out of MDO plywood. IT is a Great product. they use it to make Road signs. Uses marine grade glue, Multi Plys of wood with very little voids in the plys and much cheaper than Marine Grade. And it is FLAT and it STAYS FLAT. Really a superior product.

Check it out

http://www.pacificwoodlaminates.com/img/PDFs/PlywoodGuide.pdf

Right on! I'll check into that wood. Ya I was thinking WTF when you said to cut out the stringers! Anyway, got most of the transom hacked out tonignt, just have to sand it all down now.

parrisw

Ensign

What do you guys think of pour in 2 part foam? In my boat I think its actually part of the structure? On another OMC site, a guy highly recommended it for my boat and says the new stuff is way less likely to absorb water, I'd like to have it in there, and if this boat is going to last 20years from now then what the heck??? I wont have it then anyway, most likely.

parrisw

Ensign

I need to start thinking of getting some plywood. So I went to the local building center, and all they have is good one side plywood which will have no knots on that side but some on the other. Or he suggested using Birch plywood, which has a very nice finish on it, and has only a few very small knots, like smaller then 1/4".

I asked about the MDO plywood and they only had some in 11/16"?

Went to the dump today and all the stuff weighed 352lbs. Wonder how much all the new wood and glass and foam will weigh.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I asked about the MDO plywood and they only had some in 11/16"?

That sounds like a pretty good deck to me!

parrisw

Ensign

That sounds like a pretty good deck to me!

Ya? I was going to go with just 1/2" deck, that's thicker then what was in there.

And what about the transom? I was going to use a piece of 3/4 and a piece of 1/2 to make 1 1/4, so the cap fits back on properly. If I go with 2 pieces of the 11/16 that'll make 1 3/8"

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

I like doug fir..

I used to make signs as well With MDO .. good stuff for signs ..or forms..

But I would not suggest you use it for your boat.

It has a coating on it that prevents absorbtion .. there making it a good wood for painting ( does not drink ). Now..your resin and glass may stick to this coating..but that coating is not ment for bonding glass.

Nice stuff though..just not for boats.

Leave your stringers alone if there not soaked up with water ( freeze popping is a bad thing ).

I love 2 part foam :) .. Just make sure you dont trap air when using..or you could Pop something :) .

YD.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Don't forget that the resin and glass will add approximately 1/4 of an inch to the over all thickness of your transom so you only need two 1/2 " pieces of wood to get to 1 1/4 " You will have to go to a REAL Lumber Yard to get 1/2" MDO or LOWE's can order it for you.

I disagree with YD about the MDO and so does the APA. MDO and HDO is used in Boats all the time and Glass bonds with it exceptionally well. As my previously posted pdf file explained.