1965 Johnson Tri-Hull restore!

parrisw

Ensign
Re: 1964 Johnson Tri-Hull restore!

I hear ya. Keep after it and you'll be in the water in no Time!!!

Ya, I really need it to be done for this summer. Kids are already asking about tubing. So I think I'll just make it so its structurally sound, and get it together, maybe paint it next year.

parrisw

Ensign

Well, got one layer done tonight on the stringers. Had some trouble getting it to lay down without air pockets in the corners, grrrrr, these orignal stringers are so wavy and untrue, it was impossible to get everything to lay down properly. So my question is do I need to cut out the air pockets and fill them? It's only over foam. What I did was cut the top of the stringers off to get the wet foam out, and left the sides intact so I could easily retain the proper shape of them, I then filled them with foam to the top, now I'm just glassing right over everything. The stringers were very poorly done before, lots of dry layup and big air pockets in them, they are better now then what they used to be.

parrisw

Ensign

Two layers done, just need to do some tabing and the stringers are finished.

The stringers are quite irregular, so factory they had some sort of filler on top of them that supported the deck, any ideas on what I could use for that? Just a thick bed of PL Premium maybe to bond the deck to the stringers?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

As long as your deck is tabbed to the hull good on the sides you'll be fine. PL would be good but NOT a necessity. Some decks are left free floating. Up to you.

parrisw

Ensign

As long as your deck is tabbed to the hull good on the sides you'll be fine. PL would be good but NOT a necessity. Some decks are left free floating. Up to you.

thanks! I just figured to use some sort of glue, so the floor doesn't bouce in the middle or anything. I think they also used the stuff they used to raise the floor up to the proper level.

parrisw

Ensign

Question. I found some 1/2 ply at the local Home depot, its sanded both sides Pine ACX ply. This is what it says about the glue used in it.

Adhesive
All AraucoPly panels are laid up with phenolic WBP glue which is suitable for exterior use. This glue complies with European standard EN 314. Formaldehyde emission is 0.02 mg/L, which meets E1 emission regulations.

Do you guys think this would be ok to use for my deck?

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Yes

parrisw

Ensign

Just picked up 3 sheets, found 3 with no knots in it!!! WHOOO HOOO, just a few minor imperfections that are easily fixable. Hope to get the pieces cut out tomorrow.

parrisw

Ensign

I'm planning on fiberglassing the new deck before it goes in with CSM, how much should I allow for wrapping the sides, so it will fit in the hull after? about a 1/4" total? 1/8' per side?

parrisw

Ensign

anybody? anybody?

parrisw

Ensign

Ok, I got my floor all cut out. Sorry no pics, forgot to take the camera over to where I have the boat. Now I must start glassing the underside of the deck with CSM, will round over the edges. Now here is what I'm thinking for installing the deck, since the deck isn't supported all the way up to the bow, I have my last big seam on the front of the stringers so will have good support there, then the last two little pieces wont matter since they are only at the very point of the bow where you don't walk anyway. So I want to glass underneath the deck,

1: Should I wrap the sides of the plywood at the joints as well? If I do it wont be a perfect fit on the seams? Fill after?

2: After glassing is done, lay the pieces of deck in the hull, put the cap back on so as to hold proper shape to the sides of the hull and so I know it'll fit, don't want to glass in the deck for it to hold the sides of the hull out and not be able to fit the cap back on!!!!!!!!!!

3: How to hold the seams of each joint of the deck flush? Was thinking of gluing blocks over the top of the deck surface to hold the joints flush, tab in the whole deck, then pour foam, once the foam is set, knock the glued blocks off and finish glassing the deck.

Thanks !!

ryan_eyres

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Hey Will,
Nice looking project you've got!
-Ryan

parrisw

Ensign

Local boat show and sale this weekend here. So I picked up a couple of new seats for a good buy!!

attachment.php

Attachments

• P1030438.JPG
    P1030438.JPG
    106.2 KB · Views: 0

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I put those same seats in my last boat. You will be pleased with them.

parrisw

Ensign

Ok, how important is it to wrap the fiberglass around the sides of the decking? What a pain in the butt!!! Wrapping it and trying to put it down somewhere?? Working upside down trying to wrap it around. Struggled today with a piece.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

VERY!!!! Number 1 place Water will penetrate the wood. Careful for air pockets!!! Not sure I understand your statement about working upside down????

parrisw

Ensign

VERY!!!! Number 1 place Water will penetrate the wood. Careful for air pockets!!! Not sure I understand your statement about working upside down????

Well, its almost impossible to get no air bubbles on the edges, for me anyway. Wrapping 1/2" ply is a pain. I rounded over all the edges with a router. I mean all the edges will be filleted with PB after anyway. Upside down, well, I lay down the piece I'm glassing and when wrapping the sides around to the other side, now your upside down without flipping over the piece your working on, now if I flip it over I'm laying the side I just glassed down on something, and it screws up the new glass, and crap gets everywhere.