1965 Johnson Tri-Hull restore!

parrisw

Ensign
Well this winter I decided to go through my boat, it has a soft spot in the floor. So today I yanked the motor off and pulled the cap off the transom!! OUCH! This hole I created with my finger!!

attachment.php

The other side!

attachment.php

attachment.php

So question is about removing the cap. Its glassed on all the way around on the inside. So do I just take a cut off wheel and cut right through the joiner piece of fiberglass?

Attachments

• P1020875.JPG
    P1020875.JPG
    136.8 KB · Views: 2
  • P1020876.JPG
    P1020876.JPG
    119.6 KB · Views: 2
  • P1020877.JPG
    P1020877.JPG
    139.5 KB · Views: 2

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1964 Johnson Tri-Hull restore!

Welcome to iBoats!
Do NOT CUT!!!
Does your boat have a Bump Rail?? If so remove the Rubber and you will see that your boat's top cap is held to the hull by a series of rivets or screws. Hundreds of em. Remove all of them and you should be able to remove the top of your boat. There MAY be some adhesive holding the two halves together that MAY need to be cut free but it should be minimal. Post some more pics of the exterior of your boat to confirm how your boat is constructed.

I'm just sayin...:D

parrisw

Ensign

Welcome to iBoats!
Do NOT CUT!!!
Does your boat have a Bump Rail?? If so remove the Rubber and you will see that your boat's top cap is held to the hull by a series of rivets or screws. Hundreds of em. Remove all of them and you should be able to remove the top of your boat. There MAY be some adhesive holding the two halves together that MAY need to be cut free but it should be minimal. Post some more pics of the exterior of your boat to confirm how your boat is constructed.

Yes it has a rub rail. And I just removed it. But when I look on the inside there is what looks like the top is glassed to the bottom. I'll go take some pics.

parrisw

Ensign

Ok here are a couple pics.

Rub rail removed.

attachment.php

Where cap meets hull!! This is what it looks like all the way around.

attachment.php

Attachments

• P1020879.JPG
    P1020879.JPG
    84.2 KB · Views: 1
  • P1020880.JPG
    P1020880.JPG
    113 KB · Views: 1

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Wow, that's a new one on me. We will have to let the EXPERTS give you advice on that one. I have not had experience with that kind of hull. Can you get a putty knife or anything in between the layers???

parrisw

Ensign

Wow, that's a new one on me. We will have to let the EXPERTS give you advice on that one. I have not had experience with that kind of hull. Can you get a putty knife or anything in between the layers???

Maybe a putty knife after I cut that fiberglass.

chrisp929

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hey if you decide to scrap the whole thing, i get dibs on the outboard AND the lathe...

:D:D:D:D:D

parrisw

Ensign

Got the carpet out tonight, dang the floor is just as bad, I could see it lifting as I was tearing up the carpet.

So I need to start thinking of materials, I don't really want to use Epoxy due to cost. Is regular fiberglass resin ok, I think its called poly? Maybe?

wishboneZ51

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have seen two of those style of boats out my way. The two halves are glued together all the way around with a gasket water sealer caulking. You can seperate the two halves by using a wide flat air hammer chissel and starting from the stern on either side and carefully workinig your way around. Another way would require two people and a long band saw blade. Wearing gloves youu saw back and fourth along the center the same as before. Not too difficult just time consuming.

parrisw

Ensign

I have seen two of those style of boats out my way. The two halves are glued together all the way around with a gasket water sealer caulking. You can seperate the two halves by using a wide flat air hammer chissel and starting from the stern on either side and carefully workinig your way around. Another way would require two people and a long band saw blade. Wearing gloves youu saw back and fourth along the center the same as before. Not too difficult just time consuming.

Ouch! That's gona suck! Oh well. Maybe I can work around the whole boat with a thin piece of steel and a hammer?

parrisw

Ensign

Well got the cap separated tonight, used a sawzall, and went through about $20 worth of blades.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• P1020881.JPG
    P1020881.JPG
    83.7 KB · Views: 2
  • P1020882.JPG
    P1020882.JPG
    90.5 KB · Views: 2

parrisw

Ensign

Also noticed that under the floor is full of foam!! JOY, that'll be fun to get out.

wishboneZ51

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Now a Sawzaw is a mans trump tool. I was going to sugest using that but if you are not comfortable with using one you can create way more damage then good using it to save time. Great job seperating your cap, not too difficult and believe me, yours was easier then mine.:D

parrisw

Ensign

Now a Sawzaw is a mans trump tool. I was going to sugest using that but if you are not comfortable with using one you can create way more damage then good using it to save time. Great job seperating your cap, not too difficult and believe me, yours was easier then mine.:D

Ya, I've used tools enough to know what it can do, and how to control it, it was hard to keep it going straight, I only went off once and cut slightly below the lip, but not biggie to fix. It took me the evining to get it off by myself. Now to recruit a few guys to lift the cap around the house to the back yard while I work on the hull.

Honestly I don't now how else I would of got it off, that glue was freakin strong!!! And very hard as well, not sure what else would cut it.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Amazing!!!! I guess the manufacturer figured they did such a GREAT job that NO ONE would EVER need to Separate the Two halves. When you put it back together use some 3M 4200. That way the NEXT owner won't be cussin like you were.

Hoggar

Seaman

Hi Parrisw.

I'm Doing the same project on my 1967 19' Johnson Surfer.
The foam comes out fairly easy but I think I'm going to need
to replace my stringers as well and I'm not sure what to do
to get the motor out, no place to store it and no way to lift
it out.

http://www.theoldglassboats.com/index.php/topic,334.0.html

INJUN

Petty Officer 1st Class

Pllease post picutures of the whole boat, interior and exterior so we can get the 'flavor' of the whole situation.

wrecks1971

Seaman

Great progress your moving along nice. Your making it look easy. Looking forward to your uo dates. :) I wish I could move a long as quick as you.

drewpster

Commander

You should pre-prepare for some fitment issues when you put the cap back on. Once you get the transom and stringers back in you going to find that the hull has changed shape slighlty. Be sure the keel is supported and you keep things as square as possible while you are working. Pay close attention to any areas where you think fitment might be a challenge. (splashwell/ transom/ foredeck, ect.)
It will be easy enough to glass back together when the time comes.
I actually can see where your boat would be easier to fit back together than the typical "shoebox" joint I am used to. But if the sides pull in or out just a bit, its going to be a pain to make the new joint look right.
FYW

enjoy
drewp