How much paint thinner with Rust-Oleum??

coolness

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I am going to use Rust-Oleum Professional Oil Based paint for my aluminum boat. I will use the roll and tip method. Question - How much paint thinner should I use (proportions). I know the paint is thick and not real easy to apply. With thinning will a quart be enough?? For 2 coats?

I am going to apply a self-etching primer before painting. :)

Thanks!!

zach103

Commander
Re: How much paint thinner with Rust-Oleum??

i just poured a little at a time till i felt it was the right amount..

and try the roll and roll method i tried the roll and tip and i thought it stunk.. i just took on of the smooth rollers that was clean and lightly went over what i just painted to get all the bubbles out.

ajgraz

Lieutenant Commander

I got about 60 sqft/qt out of Rustoleum, thinned 3.5 oz/qt (about 10%) with mineral spirits, foam roller, 2 coats. That was on fiberglass, but I doubt the substrate makes much difference to coverage so long as it is smooth.

rockyrude

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I believe rustoleum recommends a max of 10% thinning.

coolbikeguy

Chief Petty Officer

how much is a QT of rusto going for ??

Isaacm1986

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Thin the rustoleum with penetrol by 8%-10% and use a closed cell foam roller. When the paint dries it will be a smooth gloss finish.

Or for $15 buy a HVLP sprayer at harbor freight and use that.

I have done both methods I just mention, and both paint jobs turned out great.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Hello m8s..

Well I just got off the phone with Tech support from Rusto..

Here is what she said..

1. There latex based should be thinned with water
2. There Chem based paints should be thinned with Acetone or Mineral Spirits. % should be labled ON the CAN. However does not matter which one .. Acetone or MS.
3. They have NO Product Approved or tested for GELCOAT applications..
4. Bottoms that are in the water for any kind of extended stay Should be Coated with there Bottom paint ( basically its regular bottom paint ).
5. ALL other Alum surfaces should be prepped and ( sometimes primed ..though with THERE Primer as they have not tested with other mfgers primer ) coated with .. basically ANY chem based Rusto paint.
6. Recoat ( this is for ALL there chem based paints ) should be applied within 1 week of last coating...

YD.

PS. I do not Sell Paint .. I do have Ideas..

coolness

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for all the tips and calling the Rust-Oleum folks. Great info!! ;)

Isaacm1986

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Just to give you a Idea of how rustoleum turns out using both a foam rollers and the HVLP sprayer.

Foam Roller thinned 10% with penetrol

DSCF2414.jpg

HVLP sprayer thinned 10% with acetone

DSC_0024-3.jpg

coolness

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thinning Rustoleum Oil-Based Paint

Thinning Rustoleum Oil-Based Paint

The label on this paint says Acetone only for thinning. Anyone use mineral spirits?? I'm using a roller. Thanks!!

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: Thinning Rustoleum Oil-Based Paint

That's a GREEN thing. Don't worry about it. It will be fine. It will dry a little slower is all. Acetone evaporates faster is all. If the weather is humid you might want to stay with the acetone.

I'm just sayin...:D

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

:D its rust hoolio thinning wont matter....junk in... junk out just thinned....:eek:

Isaacm1986

Lieutenant Junior Grade

It will work just fine. The acetone evaporates faster, but mineral spirits will be fine. I personally like using penetrol to thin rustoleum.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Coolness,

If you'll remember I too suggested Penetrol for a thinner in a previous post. It's up to you. Any of them will work. The key with Rustoleum is cure time. You MUST let it cure for a minimum of a week before trailering or splashing. AnY AND ALL paint takes a LONG time to fully cure and harden.

coolness

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I remembered AFTER I went to bed that you told me about the Penetrol!! :redface: Yes, I think about the boat when I'm trying to sleep..... I've caught the disease!!! :eek:

Thanks Wood!! I have some mineral spirits so I guess I'll use that. Should I sand the first coat very lightly?? With my weekends tied up for a couple weeks it'll be the middle of October before I splash the Sea King; it should be cured by then!! I will only have time to work on it after work; I get out by 3:45.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

If the weather is Hot and you let it cure in the sun for a Week You can give it a LIGHT sanding with a 3M Scotch Brite pad. VERY Lightly!! Just enough to knock down any nibs and such. Don't get carried away. Remember the paint is still not fully cured yet. Tack cloth it off and then give her another coat.

Buzz Killington

Petty Officer 2nd Class

+1 for Penetrol, using it now on my hull with Rust Oleum marine red.

Isaacm1986

Lieutenant Junior Grade

If the weather is Hot and you let it cure in the sun for a Week You can give it a LIGHT sanding with a 3M Scotch Brite pad. VERY Lightly!! Just enough to knock down any nibs and such. Don't get carried away. Remember the paint is still not fully cured yet. Tack cloth it off and then give her another coat.

I wetsanded my boat inbetween each coat (once ever 24 hours) and my paint came out very smooth, a nice gloss finish, and the paint is very very durable.

I do agree for a dry sanding, let the paint cure for at least a week.