Chrysler/Lonestar Cruise Liner III Project

misher

Cadet
Hello, im new to the forums, I recently donated 800.00 to a local East TN church and they gave me an old Chrysler Cruise Liner III with trailer.
It seems to be in decent condition, a few of the must fix's are:
Needs cabin floor replaced
Engine Box
Side deck wood replaced
Seats, mounts
New Gas tanks (plastic)
Twin shank Bow Eye for trailering
Alcohol Stove needs updated
Batteries
Bellows
impeller
carb float sticks when starting

My plans are as follows, and advice is appreciated.
Remove any rotted wood.
Remove head
Create Engine Box
Replace all wood.
Build stern seat box's that double as storage.
Replace said critical components
outdoor carpet the deck and interior
dye interior vinyl
waterseal all wood surfaces
paint bottomside black, topside white
Paint trailer Black
ski tow mounts
shore power hookup
optional livewell
swim platform
onboard computer system with gps enabled maptech chart navigator pro, Digital HDTV tuner, Fm, AM 6000 song/500 movie database with dual monitor support in cabin and helm.
Icom IC-7000 All band amateur Radio

recondition/paint/ entire I/O Assembly

Possibly Build Roof mounted driving console to improve visibility and increase space. (need advice on)

Hopefully at least functionally complete by the first University of TN football game to cruise up the TN river as part of the Vol Navy....

Thanks guys, Any advice on the flybridge idea would be greatly appreciated!

4903347871_993fb876a8_b.jpg

4903933816_539bec330b_b.jpg

4903934236_a9f1b71b9f_b.jpg

4903934500_fc64352063_b.jpg

4903347189_8db87d14be_b.jpg

4903347539_124ed501da_b.jpg

jonesg

Admiral
Re: Chrysler/Lonestar Cruise Liner III Project

I think I would start at the transom , looking at the condition of the wood.
I was thinking scrap it, then realized its an alum hull.

Hows the motor?

misher

Cadet

The floor boards, transom wood, and foam were all recently put in so no worries.
As far as the engine goes, we have yet to see the full details.
It appears to be in good shape.
The previous owner last ran it in 2001 and said when first starting the carb float likes to stick open. He flushed the engine properly before storage.
Im picking up a battery, flush adapter, and giving it an oil change this weekend, then we will see further.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

First off, Welcome to iboats!
Second, Doing cosmetic work on a boat FIRST is kinda like, Paying cash for a used car without ever raising the hood. You GOTTA MAKE SURE IT RUNS FIRST! Why would you spend a NICKEL on anything before you KNOW it has good sound Mechanicals??? That IS where ALL the BIG bucks will be.

I'm just sayin...:D

jonesg

Admiral

If the motor is shot ,consider converting it to outboard by installing an alum bracket, I see them on craigslist around $600.
It would take a bit of transom work but the boat is definately worth anything you do to it,

no doubt about it... tinny's command higher prices on the used mkt.:D

DianneB

Petty Officer 1st Class

Oh that's going to be a NICE boat when you are done!

This is my 1966 Cruise Liner III. I should get some pictures of the interior because it is all original and in good shape.

LoneStar26062010-1.jpg

Luhrs28

Chief Petty Officer

The beam seems a little narrow for stability with a flybridge. My Luhrs 28' has one but it also has an 11' 3" beam, and engine/transmission more towards the center of the boat. I would give that some serious studying before you add a flybridge.

But in any case it's going to be a nice big boat when you're done. I see beer bottles in some of the shots, which helps keep morale up on any long project. Keep up the great work.

misher

Cadet

I thought it may not have a sufficient width for a flybridge, ill do more research.
As far as the Cosmetic work goes before enginework, the dryrotted wood had to go, and being an easy fix, I called over the crew, supplied some beer, and we knocked it out in a day.
Next weeks goal is engine work, im only assuming the bellows and impeller will need replacing after sitting nine years.
Oh that's going to be a NICE boat when you are done!

This is my 1966 Cruise Liner III. I should get some pictures of the interior because it is all original and in good shape.
DianneB, wheres a good resource in finding engine parts for the 66's??

Thanks all, I hope I made a decent investment.

gryshr1

Recruit

How is this project going, I just purchased my 66 chrysler lonestar cruiseliner iii, and am starting the restoration also.

DianneB

Petty Officer 1st Class

wheres a good resource in finding engine parts for the 66's??

I don't know - I am still looking! It looks like your engine is a 4 cylinder Mercuriser, no? Parts should be readily available for that. (Mine is a Slant Six and I am currently working with Sierra to sort out part numbers - 1966 is missing from their replacement parts list.)

Be sure to check out the Lone Star Boat group on yahoo (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/lonestarboat/) - lots of knowledgeable people there.

I finally took some interior pictures of my Cruise Liner III - they are in my album http://s163.photobucket.com/albums/t286/diannebest/Boat Projects/Lonestar/

66liner

Cadet

ok I know this is kind of an old thread,,,but has there been any progress done on this?

kelly p

Recruit

Very nice project. I am new to this site and have found a wealth of info. I have a 1969 LoneStar Cruiseliner 111 that I am hoping to have back in the water summer 2012. I wish my boat was in as good of shape as misher's was when I started!! It had been used for trash storage and took 2 days just to cut brush and vines before I could move it. Wood was all rotted but the hull is solid and all the glass is good. Still have the orignal icebox and windshield.
I am now in the process of sealing all seams and rivets with Gluvit and was considering using Monstaliner as a seal and non-slip texture on the cockpit floor.
Has anyone ever used Monstaliner?