pitted aluminum repair

phantomv170

Seaman Apprentice
I have seen lots of posts to coat pitting on aluminum. I used West system epoxy to coat my new transom. I was thinking of using this along with the micro fibre filler, to coat the pitting on the inside of the aluminum stern before putting the new transom in.. Would this be the equivalent of using gluvit, or is gluvit got something else in it that makes it better?

I was also thinking of epoxying a 1/16 sheet between the hull and the new transom.

Overkill? waste of time and $$? Couldnt hurt? Awesome idea? ;)

glasjet1213

Recruit
Re: pitted aluminum repair

Hi Phantomv170,As I am researching some restoration info to my 1984 Glastron cvx-16, I came across this thread.As a kid I had a 12ft aluminum duck boat.I used a product called Devcon.It an excellent product for aluminum boats.My uncle who worked as an engineer for a private company that contracted service to the Navy's NUSC division used this stuff.It's consistency is like a fine cement but can be faired and sanded when cured.I used it for securing loose rivits that caused leaks and for securing other areas like the ribs,etc..Just thought I would add my two cents.Good luck

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

I have seen lots of posts to coat pitting on aluminum. I used West system epoxy to coat my new transom. I was thinking of using this along with the micro fibre filler, to coat the pitting on the inside of the aluminum stern before putting the new transom in.. Would this be the equivalent of using gluvit, or is gluvit got something else in it that makes it better?

I was also thinking of epoxying a 1/16 sheet between the hull and the new transom.

Overkill? waste of time and $$? Couldnt hurt? Awesome idea? ;)

First it would be overkill. What size boat? What is the pitting from?

You can use jb weld followed by gluvit or a patch. A photo would help out and a bit more information.

Do not coat the aluminum portion of the transom with west system epoxy since it will fail....... not really meant for that purpose. The wood portion is okay but ir should be coated with west system AND some cloth/matt.

phantomv170

Seaman Apprentice

That Devcon stuff appears to be some form of epoxy too. There are so many different 'recipes' of epoxy based products out there. I wonder if they are all pretty much equivalent. Seems like gluvit is the favorite though. Probably because it is specially targeted at boats.

I have some pics of the pitting. The inside sheet of aluminum would be easy to just replace if necessary. But its the outside hull that concerns me the most. I did see a couple of pin holes.

I already built my new transom. I have 3 layers of marine plywood. I used west 105 to barrier coat it as per their instructions. It didnt mention anything about using cloth. I filled all of the oversized holes, for the bolts etc with epoxy, and will drill them out when I go to bolt it back up. So I would think it should be totally sealed.

Attachments

• pitting0002.jpg
    pitting0002.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 2
  • pitting0003.jpg
    pitting0003.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 3
  • pitting0005.jpg
    pitting0005.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 3
  • pitting0007.jpg
    pitting0007.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 3
  • pitting0004x.jpg
    pitting0004x.jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 3

timfives

Petty Officer 1st Class

That Devcon stuff appears to be some form of epoxy too. There are so many different 'recipes' of epoxy based products out there. I wonder if they are all pretty much equivalent. Seems like gluvit is the favorite though. Probably because it is specially targeted at boats.

I have some pics of the pitting. The inside sheet of aluminum would be easy to just replace if necessary. But its the outside hull that concerns me the most. I did see a couple of pin holes.

I already built my new transom. I have 3 layers of marine plywood. I used west 105 to barrier coat it as per their instructions. It didnt mention anything about using cloth. I filled all of the oversized holes, for the bolts etc with epoxy, and will drill them out when I go to bolt it back up. So I would think it should be totally sealed.
Hello,

I had the same exact problem with mine. I first painted it with POR 15 and then filled with jbweld. See my restoration thread below for more details.

I also used the west system for my transom, one thing i would have done different is to paint the side that will face the inside of the boat, UV rays from the sun will break down the epoxy, a simple coat of paint will keep it protected. Don't think that just because it is shaded it will be out of harm, a simple coat of paint will keep it pristine forever.

Tim

phantomv170

Seaman Apprentice

timfives,

yours looks worse than mine.
None of my wood transom will ever see the light of day. It will be completely encased in aluminum. Are you saying I still need to paint it?

Did you ever put an anode on? Where do you install one?
I also think my batter must have been grounded to the hull, as I noticed wires attached to the hull in various places. Guess I should change that huh.

phantomv170

Seaman Apprentice

Hello,

I had the same exact problem with mine. I first painted it with POR 15 and then filled with jbweld.
Tim

Which por 15 did you use? Was it the silver? Apparently it says it has a metal filler , best used to fill holes and pitting. Sounds perfect if its true.
Also, which JBweld did you use? Lots of different types there too.

gollumcaprio

Recruit

First off prevention from the start is the key...protect new aluminum with a good zinc chromate primer and bottom paint. Also sealing all gaps with 3M 5200 marine sealant is key and Zinc the hull or even hang a zinc wired to the hull over the side during short stays in the water.
My plan of attack; Taking the surface down to bare aluminum, rinsing the surface and letting it dry, scrubbing the surface and pitted areas with a strong vinegar/water mix and a wire brush