Seacast Stringers???

lucid484

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Anyone here use seacast, and maybe give some pro's cons if you had a ply transom before.

apparently you can easily make a fiberglass shell and pour soem stringers in.......wouldnt this pretty much make a rot proof transon/stringer system?

and on top of it its supposidly floats.

oops!

Supreme Mariner
Re: Seacast Stringers???

if you are rich you can make stringers out of gold !

a peoperly incased set of wood stringers will last 40 years.....far longer than you and the next 2 owners will want to own the boat.

Alpheus

Lieutenant Commander

Ya but Seacast will allow it to last forever.

Like they found it buried in the dessert 200 years from now on a Discovery Channel special hosted by Mikes Rowes great great grandson...

mattsmall1972

Petty Officer 1st Class

But isn't it much easier to pour in the transom rather than cut wood to fit?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Depends on your definition of EASY! They both require a LOT of work and effort. Forever is a LONG time. I doubt any of us will keep a boat forever so do we need stringers and transoms to last that long???? I wonder??? 40 years seems long enough for me. I been working wood for 40 years. I think I will continue. I believe that drilling my transom holes oversize and filling them with resin, making sure I take extra care on the edges and doing the same on my stringers that any of my work will outlast me and probably the next owner as well. To me the xtra cost is NOT worth it.

I'm just sayin...:D

dawitner

Cadet

I just did a SeaCast transom and loved it. I too have been working with wood for many years but I found it a great time saver to pour the transom. I know I will not outlast any transom but for the irregular shape and the security of knowing every little nook and cranny of that transom was filled, I like the poured product.

lucid484

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I may infact do the transom with seacast....but the thig is I havent done and wood cutting since high school...and my ability to measure odd angles and curves for 4 stringers may be beyond my current skill....but if I have to then it makes a damn good reason to learn ;)

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Cardboard and a drafting compass is all you need to get any angle required to cut your transom precisely. A wood transom fully encapsulated in fiberglass resin and cloth will cost $200.00. A seacast Transom will Cost $750.00. To me, Time, Effort and Cost it's just not worth it. IF, BIG IF, your transom is curved with many odd angles and crooks and crannies then and only then Seacast MIGHT be the way to go. Any other scenario I think Wood makes more sense. But, I am a woodworker so therefore a bit biased in my opinion.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I mostly agree with Woodonglass. In my opinion Seacast is ideal for one specific situation.....a boat with a rotten transom but everything else is sound. In this case you take the cap strip off the transom, remove the old transom material with an electric chainsaw and a shopvac, pour in the new transom, done. But in situations where the entire boat is being dismantled, I think a properly sealed wood transom and stringers are a more practical solution. There have been a couple members on here that have done Seacast transoms and stringers. Also look into Nidabond which is cheaper.

lucid484

Petty Officer 2nd Class

well the other factor is that as soon as i finish grinding all the old resin off the transom i was to just get the new one in asap...And from what I head drying plywood takes a long time and I really have no where to do it...do you need to dry marine ply also?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

You only need to DRY the Plywood if you use Pressure Treated and you DON'T need to use PT plywood. YOu can if you want, but I would use Exterior Grade plywood and as long as it has been in your garage a couple of days it should be good to go, UNLESS it is a FRESH shipment from the factory that has just arrived at Lowe's or Home Depot and it is readily evident that it is WET. If it has been at the Home Center for any length of time at all then getting it home for a couple of days and letting it acclimate there you will be fine.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

do you need to dry marine ply also?

Contrary to popular belief, marine ply is NOT treated. It is simply a better quality product with fewer voids and better glue.

lucid484

Petty Officer 2nd Class

ok well that wakes me feel better then....i have a few lumber yards around me....i checked to get ply shipped online and it costs more to ship then it did for the wood! lol

asm_

Petty Officer 1st Class

By the way, I have never seen ply wood shipped wet. I'm pretty sure they are dry before they can even glue the "ply" together.

B

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Well ya know, sometimes it ain't always stored inside before it gets to the Home Center and unlike Oklahoma recently it does RAIN in some places and it could get WET!!! But then again it is ext. grade and supposed to be waterproof ain't it;)