1979 22' Starcraft SuperSport V5 Restoration

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander
I thought I'd start a new thread to get this project going. I plan on starting to take things apart in a few weeks after we go on vacation and I finish a few honey-do's. I did get it into the garage and it's fits better than I thought. There will even be room for the mama-mobile.

IMG_2162-1.jpg

IMG_2164.jpg

IMG_2169.jpg

IMG_2167.jpg

IMG_2166.jpg

I have many questions but won't dump tham all on you now. I am very mechanically inclined and work in the Tool and Die trade, but this is my first boat restore. We plan to restore it back to original (paint scheme and upholostery) and maybe add a matching bench across the back. I plan to take it down to the bare hull and fix everything that it needs. I don't fish but look forward to help and ideas you guys may have.
A couple things I'm wondering about:
Paint: Can this truly be a do-it-yourself thing and make it durable and look as good as original? I have patience and can follow detailed step-by-steps as far as prep and stuff.
Holes: What's the best way to fill small drilled holes in the gunwalls and dash? Epoxy? or should they be filled with weld and smoothed out?
Rivets: I know there are a few that need to be replaced. What all do I need to do this and how? I will be getting some Gluvit as well.
New Floor and possibly transom: Coat it with what? Fiberglass mat too? Do I need marine ply? Or what's the next best thing?
Rub Rail: Is new availiable? (the rubber part)
I could go on and on, but we're just getting started. :))

coolbikeguy

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1979 22' Starcraft SuperSport V5 Restoration

a 22' v-5 .... i officially hate you ....... LOL

fshngho

Lieutenant

Conrats DJ and welcome. The best thing I can say right from the start is read. Look at North Beach's, EZ, and other threads under the Restoration Thread. It will answer most if not all your questions. We all follow a similar path on our resto's although there may be a tip or a change every now and then. On here the only thing we haven't done is melt the aluminum and forge the hull itself.
So grab a drink, sit down, and learn by reading, besides, it's fun.

5speedhemi

Petty Officer 1st Class

Nice boat! I have a 22' V5 too!

5 speed

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander

HERE WE GO!!
We have had the boat out 10 times since buying it and thought I'd better get started working on it to try to be able to use it next year. I spent all day cleaning and organizing my garage and was able to get about 3 hours working on it tonight.
I was able to get the seats out, the controls disconnected, the starboard side panel and a section of floor out with what I expected to see under it.
IMG_2362.jpg

Yep, thats right, pour in foam that I believe was added to support a sagging floor.

IMG_2360.jpg

IMG_2361.jpg

I didn't spend much time on chopping foam but it seems quite brittle and acts like it may pop out in pretty good chunks. I don't think it will be that bad. We'll see.

IMG_2359.jpg

IMG_2358.jpg

Hopefully tomorrow night I can get the port side panel out and some more floor up.

boatflipper

Chief Petty Officer

Lookin' good! Enjoy yourself!!

North Beach

Commander

I have many questions but won't dump tham all on you now. I am very mechanically inclined and work in the Tool and Die trade, but this is my first boat restore. We plan to restore it back to original (paint scheme and upholostery) and maybe add a matching bench across the back. I plan to take it down to the bare hull and fix everything that it needs. I don't fish but look forward to help and ideas you guys may have.
A couple things I'm wondering about:
Paint: Can this truly be a do-it-yourself thing and make it durable and look as good as original? I have patience and can follow detailed step-by-steps as far as prep and stuff.

Yes! Just research the paints and follow the manufacturer's directions to a T. And remember, don't mix brands. I had never painted anything before this boat!!

Holes: What's the best way to fill small drilled holes in the gunwalls and dash? Epoxy? or should they be filled with weld and smoothed out?

I used a gizmo that looks like a rivet on one end and a threaded bottom with a nut. Looks like factory and I don't have to worry about it flaking off due to flrxing or bad mix.

Rivets: I know there are a few that need to be replaced. What all do I need to do this and how? I will be getting some Gluvit as well.

If they are bottom rivets you can thru bolt with 5200. Take a look at the mariner thread in my sig. On all the others, just a good rivet gun from Home Depot or Lowes and you can order rivets from Jaycee rivets. They'll even walk you thru what you need if you call them. www.rivetsinstock.com

New Floor and possibly transom: Coat it with what? Fiberglass mat too? Do I need marine ply? Or what's the next best thing?

If you plan on keeping the boat then there's really only one answer. The right way is Douglas Fir Marine Grade plywood-same thickness as what's there. Multiple coats of General Purpose Epoxy with medium hardener and 10 oz cloth on the top will make it bullet proof. I bought mine from Joe Merton www.mertons.com

Rub Rail: Is new availiable? (the rubber part)

You can get the vinyl insert from taco marine.

I could go on and on, but we're just getting started. :))

Not trying to toot my horn but to get good look at floors and paint, just check out the sunchief thread below. you don't have to do it all that way but it will give you some general direction. I tried to go into a lot of detail on both the floor and the paint.

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander

NB...Your the man!!! Thanks for the great info and I will revisit your Sunchief thread for sure. I am excited to get started to say the least.

Well off to bed, up at 5 am.

Thanks.

North Beach

Commander

Oh yeah I almost forgot. You need to remove the side panels and the trim piece at the bottom and take the plywood decking out in full pieces. You'll need them for templates when you cut your new plywood decking!

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I don't have any advice that hasn't already been given. Just following along! Good luck with your project.

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander

Had a little time to work on the boat tonight. I believe I have factory pour in foam and lots of it. Its seems real dry even though the floor pieces were dripping water as I took them out. I would have to think this boat would float if it was completely filled with water.

IMG_2383.jpg

IMG_2384.jpg

IMG_2387.jpg

With that gas tank down the middle it kinda makes the floor into a lot of pieces. There was one long piece down the middle over the tank, with two pieces on either sides, so I have taken out 5 pieces so far. I don't know how to simplify it without covering the tank connections and sender up.

Oh, you see the foam under the floor in the middle there? I believe that was added to support the floor. If you look closely the consoles are raised up in the middle. When I close the windshield it's off a mile.

Dave.

North Beach

Commander

Yeah bud. They just pumped the foam in and it expanded too much raising the floor. Probably not a poured in foam. I's probably some of that froth pak crap from the 80's.

you ganna take the consoles out and redo the entire floor?

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander

Yeah bud. They just pumped the foam in and it expanded too much raising the floor. Probably not a poured in foam. I's probably some of that froth pak crap from the 80's.

you ganna take the consoles out and redo the entire floor?

Yup, the plan is to get it down to the bare hull to fix some leaks.

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander

Tonight...about 2 hours of foam removal.

IMG_2396.jpg

I had to make a foam saw, this may be the only one in the world...

IMG_2393.jpg

My other tool of choice...

IMG_2392.jpg

Once this all gets all powerwashed it should look pretty clean.

IMG_2395.jpg

I am going to pickup a large shop vac and a 6x8 trailer with sides from my Dad tomorrow to haul all the foam to the dump. Otherwise I figure this may take 100 trash bags or so.

sprintst

Commander

Hey. Great job on the foam removal. That stuff really sucks. Keep picking away at it. It was a surprise that that was one of the bigger pains in the butt of the whole job.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Wow, that looks like a nightmare.

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander

Had a few hours to work on boat before we had to go to a wedding. I didn't do any foam today. I think I will pick away at that during the week because it's a motivation killer. An hour here and there isn't so bad but I didn't want to spend 4 hours today picking foam.

So I sucked out about 5 gallons of gas/water from the fuel tank and got that out. It was supported by 1/2" plywood with a 2x4 on edge running down the keel. The second I touched it, it turned to mulch. It had wet white foam planks under it. I filled 1 1/2 large trash cans which I could barely lift out of the boat. It was seriously like shoveling mulch. Hull under there will clean up nice. No corrosion anywhere so far. Sorry, but don't feel like doing pics tonight.

sprintst

Commander

Don't worry. It's all progress my friend. Now is about the time you might think "what did I get myself into"

I get's quite a bit better once you get down to that clean hull under there somewhere. Keep plugging away.

North Beach

Commander

Just keep pluggin away at it bud. Sooner or later, the end will come:D

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander

Thanks, hopefully a little here and a little there will add up to a finished boat before next summer!

I got the majority of the foam out tonight from the rear 2/3 of the boat. Tomorrow night I will start work on removing the windshield and consols and front seating structures. Then pull the rest of the floor up and pick out the rest of the foam. I am hoping to haul the foam to the dump next Saturday so I don't tie up my Dads trailer to long. After that I plan of getting my brothers cherry picker to get the engine off and work on getting the transom out. Then a serious detailed cleaning of the inside of the hull to fix rivets and Gluvit.

I can't wait to get this thing all stripped down.