1979 22' Starcraft SuperSport V5 Restoration

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1979 22' Starcraft SuperSport V5 Restoration

Yah, DJ I think you have found rub rail that is probably about as close as you can get to original. Nice work man, that should be a good reference for future rebuilds, great!:D

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander

Today I got my transom holes marked and pulled the transom back out. I was about to pull the trailer out from under the boat to start work on rivet fixing, but thought I'd better take advantage of a warm afternoon to give the inside one more good scrubbing. Got a bucket of hot soapy water and a big brush and the power washer hooked up to hot water and went to work.

This position helped it drain good...

IMG_2574.jpg

After...

IMG_2575.jpg

I am now satisfied it clean enough for Gluvit after the rivets are fixed. A friend is going to let me borrow his torpedo heater so I can get the hull warmed up to dry it out good and aid in curing the Gluvit. If I get time tomorrow I am going to pull the trailer out from under her.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Nice work Dave! I think your temps are great this week for Gluvit buddy. I laid mine down on Wed and by Sat it was hard and no longer tacky. We should have upper 60's (maybe even 70?) this week so I am thinking you are golden.

Nice job!

Floyd M

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Dave and Floyd, I've searched high and low and cannot find the danged part number for that rubrail anywhere. I even contacted the go between merchant hoping they could search my name or phone number with no luck. And I need some of it also????

Sorry guys! I thought I saved copies of everything.

Thanks NB. I will keep looking and following this thread to see if any of us hit pay dirt.

Floyd

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander

I didn't get around to pulling the trailer out yet, but have started thinking about the actual process of epoxying my transom together. I mentioned I was going to drill the holes oversize, fill with epoxy, and then redrill.

Does this make sense? The splashwell tubes are 1" diameter so I would have a 1 1/8 or so hole to fill with epoxy. If I have to fill all these holes with epoxy and have the transom lying flat on a table I think I may end up gluing my transom to the table.:eek: Also I have read that large amounts of excess epoxy really isn't that strong.

What I want to do sounds good, but actually doing it....well...I don't know.

Advice welcomed. (I haven't drilled anything yet)

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander

Out with the trailer.....

IMG_2602.jpg

IMG_2607.jpg

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Man that engine hoist sure comes in handy!

Wish I could give you first hand experience knowledge on the overfill/drill but I have yet to complete that task myself. So, I'd be bumping along just like you buddy.

My preliminary thoughts are to mix up "peanut butter epoxy" with the transom standing upright so it won't oooze out.

Cheers!:D

TheWrks

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hey djpeters it look like you are coming along nicely...
Love what you have done so far :D

sprintst

Commander

Awesome work.. That thing is built like a tank and with all the extra transom epoxying and overdrilling and filling holes the boat will be around for a long time to come.

Shoot some pics of the rub rail if you get a chance.

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander

Awesome work.. That thing is built like a tank and with all the extra transom epoxying and overdrilling and filling holes the boat will be around for a long time to come.

Shoot some pics of the rub rail if you get a chance.

This is my insert porofile:
79-STARCRAFT-RUB-RAIL.jpg

and the aluminum channel with insert
IMG_2485.jpg

dozerII

Admiral

DJ, it's looking real good and you are making great progress. Cover your table with wax paper, then you will have no problems with sticking your tramsom down.
Glen

sprintst

Commander

Exact same rub rail profile as mine. Let me know what you find as replacement as I'll buy some too.

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander

Exact same rub rail profile as mine. Let me know what you find as replacement as I'll buy some too.

That's the problem, I'm not finding anything. You find some and let me know!:D

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander

Got my transom epoxied together tonight. It took just under 1 quart of resin and hardener and some Cabosil to coat the two inside faces. Maybe tomorrow I will coat the outside.

IMG_2665.jpg

IMG_2666.jpg

My stringer angle where it meets the transom has a crack:

IMG_2667.jpg

So I had these bent up yesterday at a fab/weld shop close to home:

IMG_2668.jpg

IMG_2669.jpg

They will be bolted through just like the stringer is at the transom and then I will rivet them into the side of the stringer. Should be stronger than original as those plates of aluminum are 1/8" thick.

I am now considering (or going to) strip my hull of the old paint. If you scratch the paint with something sharp the paint comes off like very fine dust/powder. The bottom is very blotchy and I am thinking I would feel better If I take it down to bare aluminum and then have the painter zinc chromate it, prime/seal block it, then paint.

Alpheus recomended a good aircraft stripper, does anyone else have any good experience with stripping their hulls?

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Transom looks great and good solution on that crack, you are right - should be stronger than original :)

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander

Alright, paint and prep. In the interest of "doing it right the first time" I want to make sure it's prepped right. I have an auto painter lined up to do the spraying but want to make sure the prep is right cause this is not a car, it's a boat.

I figure I can strip it myself. If I get some aircraft stripper, can I do that in my garage?

Once it's stripped is there anything more I can do at home? If not what should the next steps be? Do I (he) need to do more than degrease/clean, zinc chromate, prime, then paint? The painter has done a few personal aluminum boats and used a high quality auto paint (basecoat/clearcoat) and said they are holding up fine. Should I insist on marine paint?

Just don't want my paint falling off. This is a freshwater boat that will not stay in the water.

Thanks.

sprintst

Commander

I liked the Interlux VC performance epoxy on the bottom after priming with the Interlux NE2000 primer. The down side is that they are both 2 part epoxy products and will mean more work for your painter, cleaning guns, etc.

Google the VC performance epoxy stuff to see what you think. It's as tough as nails.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

sschefer likes that paint as well and his boat came out awesome ^^^

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander

I've been doing a lot of reading this afternoon on aluminum prep. What got me going was I have come across many posts by "Yacht Dr." in regards to painting aluminum boats to do as follows:

-Strip
-Alumiprep
-Rinse
-Alodine
-Rinse
-Two Part Epoxy Prime
-Top Coat.

Has anyone done this process? I read quite a bit about alodine (here and other sources) and it seems to be a slam dunk to make paint stick to aluminum.

I can't recall anyone ever mentioning using alodine. Its not very expensive $36/gallon.