1979 22' Starcraft SuperSport V5 Restoration

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1979 22' Starcraft SuperSport V5 Restoration

A gallon of gluvit will be more than enough. I did darn near my whole 18' with a quart.

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander

Went to Menards today and ordered 2 sheets of 3/4 marine ply and 5 sheets of 1/2 marine ply. They are telling me one week to get.

CBGale2

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Hey DJ, what shop did you go to about the paint?

v8mgbal

Petty Officer 1st Class

looking good DJ your really knocking that boat out. I think you will splash before me.LOL:D

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander

Well as I wait for plywood, Gluvit, and Epoxy to arrive, I went at the inside of the hull some more with a wire wheel on my drill. Went at it for a few hours but it was hard to get in everywhere so I just did the best I could. Being it was so warm today here, I rolled her out into the driveway and started to fill her up with water. Right away I had drips out from the aft rivets in the keel guard and a small seepage from the transom under the drain plug. I then got out my powerwasher (5hp) and went at it. Holy Cow did that make short work of final cleaning the inside in all the knooks and crannies. I should have got that out a week ago instead of so much scraping and wire wheeling. I am officially done with foam. All traces of it are gone. Next up is to find the correct rivets and a rivit gun and get the bad ones fixed. Then new transom in, cut new floor, and then paint. Is it possible, for real, I may be starting to put this thing back together??? WOW. NO MORE FOAM!!! I will post pics tomorrow.

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander

Hey guys I need some help.....

I have been looking for a good how to or a video on replacing rivets. I have read doing it incorrectly can cause your rivet to work-harden and be brittle. I know a correct gun is needed and a bucking bar. Which side do you use the gun? inside or outside the boat? I assume the hammer on the gun needs to be a correct shape? I don't think this should be too difficult but just need it explained or demonstrated. Links would be appreciated. I am at that point where I can't go any farther until I get the rivets (maybe 20 or so) fixed.

THANKS!!!

I did get my marine ply today and have to go unload it now. Menards shipped it with a piece of 3/8 plywood on top and bottom which I get to keep. Since I think I am going to do the rear floor a little different, these will be handy for using as templates before I cut the $$$$ stuff.

North Beach

Commander

DJ, make sure you give that ply a week or two to "acclimate" before you go chopping/installing!

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander

DJ, make sure you give that ply a week or two to "acclimate" before you go chopping/installing!

This may seem silly, but, how should it be "stored"? Laying down in a pile or standing on edge? Does it matter?

RIVET INFO ANYONE? (and don't tell me to just put screws in it, I want rivets) LOL

Floyd M

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hey guys I need some help.....

I have been looking for a good how to or a video on replacing rivets. I have read doing it incorrectly can cause your rivet to work-harden and be brittle. I know a correct gun is needed and a bucking bar. Which side do you use the gun? inside or outside the boat? I assume the hammer on the gun needs to be a correct shape? I don't think this should be too difficult but just need it explained or demonstrated. Links would be appreciated. I am at that point where I can't go any farther until I get the rivets (maybe 20 or so) fixed.

THANKS!!!

I did get my marine ply today and have to go unload it now. Menards shipped it with a piece of 3/8 plywood on top and bottom which I get to keep. Since I think I am going to do the rear floor a little different, these will be handy for using as templates before I cut the $$$$ stuff.

Hey Dave, I feel your pain. I have replaced about 300 rivets on my SS. I bought a aircraft rivet gun off of ebay from a guy laid off by the aircraft industry. I talked to Starcraft and found out that the rivets are not universal head, but brazier head rivets if you want to go with original. I bought mine through Grainger and bought the correct die for the gun through another company online. I will check the model of the die and where I bought them and let you know. I bought dies for 5/32, 3/16, and 1/4 rivets. I have used all three sizes. Original in my boat were the 5/32 and 3/16. If the holes are not expanded than I went back with the original size. If they were a little enlarged, I drilled out to the next size and used a larger rivet. Each rivet I primed with Gluvit and then installed. The gun with the die goes against the rivet head and the bucker bar (block of steel) is held against the rivet shaft. I was amazed how easy it was to do the job with the right tools. Once I replaced the rivets with solid rivets, I was definitely happy that I did not use ss screws. Hope this helps.

v8mgbal

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hey DJ, I worked in a/c sheetmetal for about 10 years and shot a lot of rivets. I am not sure if I can explain how to do it as like welding its an aquired skill. as the rivet heads are mostly on the outside the gun with the rivet set in it will be on the outside and the bucking bar on the inside. most of the rivets on my starcraft are 3/16 and that is the size rivet set you will need, and do not worry about work hardning the rivets as the bucked part inside should look like the other tails in the boat. if you flatten the bucked tails to much they will crack but you will not do that right. it is also a lot easier if you have a helper to shoot or buck as it is a PITA to do it buy your self even if you are expereinced. the best advice I can give is to get a piece of aluminum drill some holes in it and practice shooting rivets and keep pressure on the gun when shooting and let the bucking bar do the work of bucking the tail down . If you do not keep the gun tight against the rivet you may put a smile in you rivet or put dents in the boat that is why I would suggest a test piece. I hope this will help and not hinder you and if you have any more questions let me know and i will try to answer you and good luck.

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander

Thanks alot you guys, I appreciate it. Thank You for taking the time to respond. I was looking at rivet guns online last night and reading alot of reviews from guys building boats, rv's, and airplanes. Now that I have a good understanding of setting a rivet I need to track down a gun and some brazier head rivets and go at it. Going to keep a close eye on ebay.

Thanks a lot guys!

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander

Dropped the boat off tonight to get some holes welded up in the transom. Should have it back in a day or two. My gluvit arrived and my epoxy should be here by early next week. I think I have figured out what rivets, sets, and gun to get, just haven't got around to it yet.

Does anyone know if the rivets in our boats are soft rivets or hard rivets? I am pretty sure soft as the hard ones are supposed to have a dimple on the head.

Look what I scored on ebay for $2......

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190454178466&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

The first time I had the boat out another boat bumped the side of mine while we were at the dock getting ready to take the boat out of the water. I didn't see any damage until I got home and noticed my emblem was broke and the other piece was back in the river. I was just going to get decals until this came along.

jimdd810

Chief Petty Officer

i was stripping paint the other day and noticed one of mine was completley missing

Floyd M

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Dropped the boat off tonight to get some holes welded up in the transom. Should have it back in a day or two. My gluvit arrived and my epoxy should be here by early next week. I think I have figured out what rivets, sets, and gun to get, just haven't got around to it yet.

Does anyone know if the rivets in our boats are soft rivets or hard rivets? I am pretty sure soft as the hard ones are supposed to have a dimple on the head.

Look what I scored on ebay for $2......

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190454178466&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

The first time I had the boat out another boat bumped the side of mine while we were at the dock getting ready to take the boat out of the water. I didn't see any damage until I got home and noticed my emblem was broke and the other piece was back in the river. I was just going to get decals until this came along.

The rivets in starcrafts are soft. The rivet sets or dies that you need for brazier head rivets (bought my actual rivets through grainger..they showed up in two days) are as follows: 5/32 is AN 4555, 3/16 is AN 4556, 1/4 is AN 4558. The gun I got was a US Industrial Tool Company made for the aircraft industry. Many different websites sell the rivet sets/dies. If they don't list the number just make sure it is a "brazier head" not a "modified brazier head", they are different. I bought my dies from US Industrial Tool. Hope this helps.

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander

The rivets in starcrafts are soft. The rivet sets or dies that you need for brazier head rivets (bought my actual rivets through grainger..they showed up in two days) are as follows: 5/32 is AN 4555, 3/16 is AN 4556, 1/4 is AN 4558. The gun I got was a US Industrial Tool Company made for the aircraft industry. Many different websites sell the rivet sets/dies. If they don't list the number just make sure it is a "brazier head" not a "modified brazier head", they are different. I bought my dies from US Industrial Tool. Hope this helps.

Thanks FloydM, do you recall what size gun you got? 3x, or 4x???? Thanks for confirming soft rivets.

Floyd M

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hey Dave. My gun is a 2X and it is all you need. You can use a 3X but a 4X is definitely overkill. The 2X is more than appropriate for what we are doing. I have heard that the longer stroke may require fewer hits but it only takes about 10 seconds anyway with the 2X. I practiced on one rivet and then was off to the races. It really is quite easy to use a rivet gun...easier than I thought it would be. The whole bucker bar thing you would have to ask my wife about though. She was the holder on that.

Floyd

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander

Hey Dave. My gun is a 2X and it is all you need. You can use a 3X but a 4X is definitely overkill. The 2X is more than appropriate for what we are doing. I have heard that the longer stroke may require fewer hits but it only takes about 10 seconds anyway with the 2X. I practiced on one rivet and then was off to the races. It really is quite easy to use a rivet gun...easier than I thought it would be. The whole bucker bar thing you would have to ask my wife about though. She was the holder on that.

Floyd

Thanks again...now to order some stuff......

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander

Got my rivet gun, set, and rivets yesterday. Got the gun working but haven't had a chance to actually try it out on some practice stuff yet. I did get the boat back yesterday from having 10 holes welded up in the transom. They came out pretty good and only costed me $45.

So my next phase is to fix the bad rivets and get a new transom cut. My epoxy will be here Monday, so in the next few weeks hopefully I can get the rivets fixed, Gluvit the inside, and a new transom in.

I mentioned before about filling in all the snaps on the gunwalls as I don't have full canvas, BUT, say I did want to get canvas someday, will they make the new canvas to fit the snaps that are there if I leave them?

I have also mentioned replacing my rubrail. Has anyone replaced the whole deal (aluminum and insert) with a newer TACO one? I need some recomendations what to do here as my insert doesn't appear to be made anymore. Just don't kow how one of the other kind would look.

Thanks.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

I mentioned before about filling in all the snaps on the gunwalls as I don't have full canvas, BUT, say I did want to get canvas someday, will they make the new canvas to fit the snaps that are there if I leave them?

I have also mentioned replacing my rubrail. Has anyone replaced the whole deal (aluminum and insert) with a newer TACO one? I need some recomendations what to do here as my insert doesn't appear to be made anymore. Just don't kow how one of the other kind would look.

Thanks.

I would think that a canvas maker would have a tough time exactly matching your current snaps. If they are off by a little you'd end up having ripples/wrinkles which would be a bummer. Worse would be if you couldn't snap em! Depending on your canvas maker and what you want you might not even need snaps. I think if I were in your shoes I'd be thinking about taking them off and filling them in for a nice clean look. Come to think of it, that is what I did actually. Though I still have a long way to go to make everything look purdy. You can add snaps easy enough down the road if you need to.

Is your aluminum rail in rough shape? Need to be replaced? If not I am pretty sure Taco makes an insert that will slide right into what you have there saving you time and $$, eh!

Have fun!

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Hmm, I would think it would be fairly easy for a canvas guy to match the snaps. They just rivet 'em through the canvas anyway. I wouldn't think it would be too hard to match up.