1979 22' Starcraft SuperSport V5 Restoration

v8mgbal

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1979 22' Starcraft SuperSport V5 Restoration

Hang in there DJ once you have a clean boat to work with you start feeling like you have the hard stuff done and its going forward:D

rirory

Seaman

I love your boat. I recently did the same foam removal from a 20' chrysler/lonestar. Keep a few of the big dry pieces so you can use them later in areas you rebuild--cut them to fit. i tossed all of mine and had to purchase some later.

feel free to check out my pic's

good luck

ri rory

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander

I'm into this one week so far. Here's a few pics of what I did Saturday and tonight.

Saturday I took the tank out and this is what it looked like underneath. I alrerady dug out half of the stuff.

IMG_2420.jpg

IMG_2419.jpg

IMG_2412.jpg

Tonight I got the wiring ripped out, steering off, windshield off, and both consoles out.

IMG_2426.jpg

IMG_2434.jpg

IMG_2435.jpg

I may catch up to NB...

North Beach

Commander

Yehaaa! now you're getting somewhere. I estimate about three more days till you're totally overwhelmed:p Don't worry, that feeling only lasts a couple of days, and then the I will win this battle kicks in!!!!

Seriously, you're gettin there now.

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander

Tonight I got the front seating structure out, lots of carpet peeled up, and the rest of the floor out. I did dig some foam out of the front center where it was like 20" deep. I think I have water comming in somewhere around this area. As I got down to the bottom the foam became wet. I'll have to get this cleaned up better and take a closer look.

IMG_2436.jpg

IMG_2439.jpg

IMG_2440.jpg

IMG_2441.jpg

North Beach

Commander

OMG Dave! Seeing those pics have kicked in my Delayed Foam Syndrome and now I'm gonna need medication!!!!

Look how that stuff expanded and bent the stringers:eek:

Just a few more days bud!

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Ugh, can we all agree now that poured in foam has no place in a tin boat? Yuck.

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander

I hope the hard work is behind me. I got almost all of the foam out, just need to go around the edges and get in the tight spots with a putty knife. She's definetly leaking some at some of the rivets/seams toward the front. The bottom 1" or so of the foam was wet in the front.

Almost a bare hull:

IMG_2446.jpg

This will go to the landfill Saturdat morning:

IMG_2445.jpg

I'm tired!

North Beach

Commander

That's what you call not giving up!!!!!

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander

Didn't do any actual work on the boat this weekend, but I did get and engine stand built. I used the plans posted on Iboats as a guide.

IMG_2462.jpg

I was expecting something a little more complicated for a pick-up on the gas tank but when I took the fitting off, it's just a tube thats part of the welded on bung that goes to the bottom of the tank. The second one just had a plug in it. I assume thats there in case you ran twin engines.

IMG_2452.jpg

The kicker that came on the boat is a long shaft that sat on this ugly bracket. Any reason why I can't convert it to a shortshaft and just hang it on the transom without the ugly bracket. It would look a lot cleaner and the height difference from the transom to the ugly bracket is 5", which is the difference between a short and long shaft.

IMG_2463.jpg

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander

Got a few questions about what order I should proceed in. After I get the engine off and the inside all cleaned of foam and carpet glue, should I go ahead now and take the transom and splashwell out or should that stay put to roll it over. (If i can figure out a way to do that). When to do Gluvit, paint the inside, paint the outside, and when to reinstall transom and new deck? I don't want to do something and say " I should have done that first"

Thanks.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

None of the things you mentioned really impact the others as far as the order goes (except obviously doing the gluvit before you paint the inside).

fshngho

Lieutenant

Like EZ said, its really up to you. I removed my splashwell but left the transom for support while flipping it. I wanted to do all the exterior painting first as if I do interior it may be too heavy for flipping. After paint is done I'll flip it back, clean, Gluvit, paint and work on interior while its on the trailer.

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander

How would you guys roll this thing over? I don't have a tractor with a bucket like others here :). We do have large bridge cranes where I work, but the floors are all cement. We have a rollover bridge crane that has two hooks. Would the bow eye be strong enough to stand her on end and then lower back down upside down? (Flip it lengthwise). Or would enough manpower do it in my front yard? (Flip widthwise).

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

About 6 of your strongest friends in your front lawn, roll er over! Or trees and come alongs are great too! Think McGiver!:D

North Beach

Commander

Dave, You should be able to flip with 5 or 6 guys by hand. The boat will hang all day long by the bow eye. When I painted the LL I supported it by the bow eye and the transom lifting eye. And mine still had the engine in it.

Both my other boats I've ran a large eye bolt thru the bilge drain hole with a big honkin washer on each side and used that along with the bow eye to flip it with no problems. With everything gutted you're prob looking at less than 700 pounds. It's just big and bulky.

Good Luck!:eek::eek::eek:

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Flipped mine as Jason suggested. In my case 4 guys flipped it off the trailer onto the grass.

fshngho

Lieutenant

Flipped mine by myself....twice:p Its an 18' though so you would want 3 guys minimum. Your not picking it up, just rolling it over.;)
Glad you done with the floatation removal, I'm sure you are too:D