1979 22' Starcraft SuperSport V5 Restoration

Huron Angler

Admiral
Re: 1979 22' Starcraft SuperSport V5 Restoration

Very nice work, and always great to get the family involved as well:D

Did you have any trouble with the mandrels sticking in the hand tool? I've had a few problems with mine.

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander

Very nice work, and always great to get the family involved as well:D

Did you have any trouble with the mandrels sticking in the hand tool? I've had a few problems with mine.

Nope, the hand jobber worked great. I may give the HF one another try tomorrow. It didn't help it's own cause when it spewed oil out the first 10 cycles or so, but then I remembered someone said that it would do that. It might just need some tinkering with.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Your bow structure and new gunwales look excellent DJ, awesome!

fshngho

Lieutenant

DJ. I am having the same problems with my HF air riveter. I recall there being a 'kit' in the pkg that I haven't looked into. Did you read instuctions?? I didn't, just maybe....
Nice work Bro, but what is the info on the birdhouse? Is it finishished and functional? Where's pics? Just hanging and waiting dude.

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander

DJ. I am having the same problems with my HF air riveter. I recall there being a 'kit' in the pkg that I haven't looked into. Did you read instuctions?? I didn't, just maybe....
Nice work Bro, but what is the info on the birdhouse? Is it finishished and functional? Where's pics? Just hanging and waiting dude.

I read some of the instructions, maybe that's part of the problem. There is a bag of some extra parts with it.

The birdhouse is waiting until I mix up my next batch of epoxy, then my daughter gets to paint it. I think we'll put it on a post in the back yard when it's done. I'll keep you posted.:D

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander

Port gunwall top got put on tonight. Inner c-channel panels next.

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander

I got the gunwalls and bow cover fully installed today. Everything lined up great.

IMG_3013.jpg

That red on the cross piece will be carried throughout the inside and outside of the boat.
IMG_3014.jpg

IMG_3015.jpg

IMG_3017.jpg

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Brand new boat! Excellent work DJ!

I really like how you have those four stringers running there. Those will make that deck of yours way solid, cool man!

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander

Worked on the transom some tonight. I got most of the holes drilled on the starboard half and redid the transom/stringer/splashwell bracing. I ended up taking the original brace out, adding another piece for more strength and re-riveting it all back in. I did this because the flange that lays against the transom had a small crack starting at the top. I think it's stronger now than when new.

This is the untouched port side. We'll get to that next.

IMG_3018.jpg

The starboard side redone:

IMG_3019.jpg

I have two pieces of the floor cut. I layed them in tonight just for the heck of it.

IMG_3020.jpg

The original rear section was three pieces running length-wise with the middle being access to pull the gas tank if needed. It's exactly 8 feet from the front sections to the transom brace. I believe I am going to run my new floor widthwise (across the stringers). It should look a lot cleaner, but I will still have to figure for access to the sender which is right dead center and access to the fuel filler hose clamps. Anyone object??? Is it a bad idea to cover up the tank, or should I live with 2 seams in my carpet and leave the center so it can be pulled up?

IMG_3021.jpg

sprintst

Commander

Your new support is stronger as the old one would have pulled away from the transom where it was cracked in the event of an event. At least this is new metal with a bunch of new rivets so it looks better than new to me.

You could just add port accesses from places like greatlakeskipper, etc to get at the hoses, sender etc. If you do decide to run the sheets like they have then just run your carpet without any seams. Just mark the seams on the carpet somewhere inconspicuous if you have to cut and pull that sheet to get at the tank or use carpet tape to join the seams. Works on berber :)

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander

The inside of my hull has some light oxidation/corrosion on it (the white chalky stuff). Before I put the floor back down permanetly, do I need to neutralize this or clean it in some way? I have already powerwashed and cleaned with soap and water. If I leave it, will it continue to corrode or oxidize? I'm 90% sure I'm putting in sheet foam back in.

Thanks.

fshngho

Lieutenant

I am no expert DJ but I thought I read somewhere the vinegar and water will neautralize any oxidation. If you are worried about it you can always ZC and paint the area.
As far as the tank, make sure it is cushioned and secured down good. Then just make sure you have access to inlet, vent tubes and sending unit.
Very nice work Sir.:D

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Shouldn't this thing be in the paint shop by now? :p

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

I am pretty excited to see what a pro paint job looks like, kinda rare for these old metal boat rebuilds. Should be sweet!

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander

I have been working on some not-so-exciting stuff and also trying to plan ahead to avoid hold ups. One thing that has me stumped is what to do with my drivers console..specifically the dash. I want to upgrade the switch panel to one of these:
http://shop.newwiremarine.com/6-Switch-Panel-with-Breakers-SP-6G.htm

My problem is the hole from the old switch panel. The new panel is 1" taller than the old. The length is longer and I would extend the original hole to the right to take out the one gauge hole.
IMG_2426.jpg

My other big dilema is the consoke had teak trim all the way around the edges which I didn't care for. The side of the console is a seperate piece of aluminum that is riveted on so you see rivets from the side which I don't care for either. (the trim covered them up). On another though, maybe there is some way to make a new dash panel and trim it out differently, but I 'm not sure how that would look.

This is an overview of what it looked like before:
IMG_2167.jpg

I'm open to ides.......

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander

Maybe that trim doesn't look to bad. It's teak so it would probably clean up and look OK. I think I will order that panel and either modify the panel or make a new one at work to fit in the space I have.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

I am kinda dumb so I am trying to figure out what you got going on and what direction you want to go man. I think what I really need to do is brew up a pot o coffee and sit in that boat with you and hash things out. How about tomorrow morning about 4?