No Smoking!!! 1969 Hydroswift Restore

RobbyA

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have finally found my project! I had started off really wanting a Starcraft, but they are few and far between here.
I wanted to restore a boat because it seems to be an exciting adventure to me, and I need something to do because I quit smoking. Between the wife, kids, family, and friends, I was never cut any slack about my smoking.
So I set out to quit and find out really how much quitting smoking pays (besides health reasons).
I am going to keep track of money spent on this restore vs. money saved by not smoking. I will use this forum somewhat as an accountability to myself to stay smoke free, plus if I start back, the deal with the wife is the boat gets sold. Fair enough. On average I was paying $6.00 a pack per day so I will use that as my base for savings, although the last pack I bought ran me $7.57.

Smoke free Day 13
Money Saved- $78.00

Project Boat- $300.00
Total Savings so far- ($222.00)
I know I am in the red as of right now, but I don't think it will take long to be in the black. I will keep track of every penny spent to see where I am at when we splash this thing.

So without further ado, here she is!
1969 Hydroswift Riviera Hardtop o/b 18ft

She has not seen water since 1983, that was the last time she was registered. The boat came with no motor, has all the original gauges, missing a couple of windshield pieces. It is an all fiberglass construction in and out, so I don't know about stringers. It does have a wood transom that seems solid, but it has set out for years and is going to get replaced no matter what. I could use and would like any knowledge or tips on this boat if you have any.

Hydroswift1.jpg

hydroswift2.jpg

hydroswift3.jpg

hydroswift4.jpg

Buzz Killington

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: No Smoking!!! 1969 Hydroswift Restore

Nice project, and more importantly, good luck on quitting. I use to light up when I was stressed...then work got bad and I got pneumonia pretty bad. Having a real pain in your lungs changes your perspective!

Dave

starcrafter65

Chief Petty Officer

That is sweet! Up here in the North - we don't need tops because 90 is a HOT day - but down South that hardtop is cool....

Good luck with the cigs - a worthy adventure -

6meter

Chief Petty Officer

GREAT decesion! One thing now is that any money you spend, you'll have something to show for it. What do you have to show for that $7.57 pack now? Been 5 years for me.

badkins50

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Great incentive to stop smoking. This Saturday will be 15 weeks for me. My incentive was the news from my wife that she is going to be giving a baby boy. After you add up all the money you spent on it (not to mention the tax increases to come), it definately makes you look at it as what a waste of money it was. Good luck on both and when one makes you wish you had the other - don't give in.

Red_BOFUS

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Best of luck man, 30 year dipper, 13 weeks out...

RobbyA

Petty Officer 1st Class

It's official, the boat is home! After a little title scare, we are in the clear.
I started prodding around on it a bit more and disassembling some of the trim pieces. I confirmed the transom is starting to rot. Since the floor is solid fiberglass and part of the cap, I will not know about the stringers until I pull the cap.
I do have a question or two. There is no bilge area. I don't know if it is because of the solid fiberglass floor or just normal for this design. The drain plug is about a foot above the bottom of the V in the hull. Also approximately how heavy might this cap be?

rear%20view.jpg

transom.jpg

rotten%20transom.jpg

Day 14 no smoking - $84.00 saved
Project Total to date (Including boat) - $381.91
Had to buy trailer lights and wire to make it legal to get home.
Savings so far (297.91) in the hole

troutbum1982

Cadet

I so just went and used your idea......made a deal with the devil (aka my wife) At least I will have some more money to put into our boat!!

troutbum1982

Cadet

Btw nice boat, have always wanted a hardtop but they are very hard to come by around here.

RobbyA

Petty Officer 1st Class

I so just went and used your idea......made a deal with the devil (aka my wife) At least I will have some more money to put into our boat!!

LOL, I was amazed how easy the deal was made!

RobbyA

Petty Officer 1st Class

Got the rubrail rivets drilled out today and started separating the transom in order to pull the top half off. Got to build a lift system to separate the two halves, HD here I come.

transom%20separating.jpg

Day 15 no smoking - $90.00 saved
Project Total to date (Including boat) - $381.91
Savings so far (291.91) in the hole

RobbyA

Petty Officer 1st Class

14 days of straight H-E-double hockey sticks weather, 100+ degree days, and I have accomplished nothing on the boat. I did manage to make a HD run and pick up some supplies to build my lift to separate the halves and remove the hull from the trailer. I also picked up a respirator and a few other safety items. Now if I could only get the temps in the 90's so I can build my lift and make progress. Next 7 days look bleak on the forecast.........:mad:
Anyway,
Day 21 no smoking - $126.00 saved
Project total to date ( including boat ) - $546.87
Savings so far ($420.87) in the hole.

As long as I don't buy anything and sit and wait for the weather to cool some at least my savings will increase!

JAFO1

Petty Officer 1st Class

Great incentive to stop smoking. This Saturday will be 15 weeks for me. My incentive was the news from my wife that she is going to be giving a baby boy. After you add up all the money you spent on it (not to mention the tax increases to come), it definately makes you look at it as what a waste of money it was. Good luck on both and when one makes you wish you had the other - don't give in.

Congrats on the Boy! Same incentive I used to stop dippin' snuff. That was over 16 years ago. I paid my piggie bank every day. After a year or so, I blew the cash on something, I don't remember what.

Robby, good looking boat! I'm just south of you and can't seem to make any progress on my Skeeter due to the heat. I'm just learning resin and am trying to figure out how to work it in this heat.

RobbyA

Petty Officer 1st Class

Congrats on the Boy! Same incentive I used to stop dippin' snuff. That was over 16 years ago. I paid my piggie bank every day. After a year or so, I blew the cash on something, I don't remember what.

Robby, good looking boat! I'm just south of you and can't seem to make any progress on my Skeeter due to the heat. I'm just learning resin and am trying to figure out how to work it in this heat.

Once you learn the resin, hop on up north a bit and teach me!!!! :p

I haven't got to the learning phase yet.

JAFO1

Petty Officer 1st Class

Once you learn the resin, hop on up north a bit and teach me!!!! :p

I haven't got to the learning phase yet.

Hmmm??? Road Trip! You're on!

petermarcus

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Congrats on the deal! Ex-smoker myself.

The drain plug is a foot above the V on the outside of the stern, is it a foot above the deck in the inside of the boat, too? I'd be surprised if there wasn't at least a center stringer up the keel.

RobbyA

Petty Officer 1st Class

Congrats on the deal! Ex-smoker myself.

The drain plug is a foot above the V on the outside of the stern, is it a foot above the deck in the inside of the boat, too? I'd be surprised if there wasn't at least a center stringer up the keel.

The Drain plug is level with the sub-floor on the boat. I thought everything might be alright under the subfloor, but after this intense heat, I raised the bow in the air another foot and water came out of the holes where the seats were screwed down.
I wondered about the center stringer myself. Its going to be a surprise what I find.

Whoever voted this 5 stars, Thank you!!!! It at least makes me feel like this is being read.

bipshoft

Petty Officer 3rd Class

RobbyA

As a smoker I admire your will power and putting your project above the ciggs

Had to vote it 5 stars for that reason alone, plus I am loving the work you are doing

take care

j_martin

Admiral