1963 16 ft Starcraft Jupiter restoration

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1963 16 ft Starcraft Jupiter restoration

the other thing I was not sure of was do I drill the holes first then epoxy the deck or after:confused: and many thanks for to all for the input.

Two coats epoxy on the bottoms then one coat on the tops. Install in boat, then second coat on tops. I added a little fiberglass cloth to my seams.

v8mgbal

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks guys, hey EZ I read somewhere that you think petit easypoxy was crap what did you use on yours.

fshngho

Lieutenant

Thanks guys, hey EZ I read somewhere that you think petit easypoxy was crap what did you use on yours.

I am sure he will tell you, but he speaks from experience. He used easypoxy and it decided not to stay around,:mad:

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Well I accept partial responsibility for the paint falling off bit since I didn't prime. I don't accept full responsibility though as I specifically read I could do that. Anyway, the falling off issue aside, my other major concern is that the paint that has decided to stick around....is soft and very easily scuffed and scratched. Forum member and friend of mine Tim Fives used it on his transom also with the same soft result. Either stay with Rustoleum or step up to a two part paint. Skip the middle of the line "marine" paints. Rusto held up great on my last boat.

v8mgbal

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks EZ, I went ahead and drilled all the holes in my decking yesterday and am ready to paint my wood. I am also going to use a combo of screws and pop rivets to hold it down as I can get a free supply of SS screws and nut plates:D. I also installed some extra deck supports and the plastic tube to run my fuel line thru from my bow tank I am adding.

LastDollar

Petty Officer 2nd Class

When I did my wood replacement I used the same size rivets that Starcraft used but they had a steel mandrel. They sucked the wood down tight and 10 years later none have loosened up. I didn't worry about tying to pull the floor up because it is captive to the sides as they are put in last. Makes it a major job.:rolleyes: I got almost 30 years out the original wood. Oh and I used an oil based porch deck and floor paint on the wood and rattle can Rosto on the hull, did do the deck with a two part epoxy ( Emron) .:)

v8mgbal

Petty Officer 1st Class

that's what I am using also on the places being riveted. they are called cherrymax rivets where I work and are very cheap for me:rolleyes: I have replaced a lot of the original pop rivets on my boat as most had lost their tails and they are easy to install after I went to HF and bought a pneumatic pop rivet gun as doing them by hand was a PITA .

v8mgbal

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hello all, I got a few things done today as well as a visit from the big brown truck who dropped off my new back to back seats. I love it when that truck backs up my driveway.
DSCF1945.JPG

v8mgbal

Petty Officer 1st Class

I also got my holes for the nut plates to hold the deck in and my tube to run my fuel line thru.
DSCF1946.JPG

v8mgbal

Petty Officer 1st Class

another shot.
DSCF1947.JPG

v8mgbal

Petty Officer 1st Class

well I got all my nut plates in today and did some touch up painting. I also got all my deck panels sanded and ready for paint and found another use for a 6ft ladder and my trailer.
DSCF1948.JPG

v8mgbal

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hello all its been a while since my last post. I have been working on the boat just not much picture wise but I have a few to show. I did sell the old merk 100hp that came with the boat and I am still looking for a 70hp and the trailer is done except I am having trouble doing the bunks without the boat on the trailer. I got the transom made and its in the boat and I need to get it located and drilled so that's the next project but on with the pictures.
DSCF1964.JPG

v8mgbal

Petty Officer 1st Class

A picture of the transom before I put it in the boat.
DSCF1962.JPG

v8mgbal

Petty Officer 1st Class

and here it is sitting in the boat.
DSCF1966.JPG

brantfordbill

Recruit

thanks for all the great pics and ideas..just brought my tired old '61 Jupiter home for a new floor and transom (2nd one)..seeing what you've done makes a full resto look like a better idea but am short on time with fishing season fast approaching & boat has 6" of fresh snow covering it

markandclark

Cadet

Just reading up on the jupiter resto and I was wondering where I could buy some of that lime ZC fuel tank primer. I want to repaint my boat and want the most durable product for a aluminum boat.

MACHINE

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I need pics of the original partd in the bottom IE aluminum braces etc and how the floor attaches to the floor of the boat please