1963 16 ft Starcraft Jupiter restoration

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: 1963 16 ft Starcraft Jupiter restoration

Oh it's definitely a Starcraft or a very very very good counterfeit!!!

The question is this........ Since this post was initially geared towards a Jupiter ............ does that mean it has to be completely redone ????? Did we all give the wrong advice since we were thinking Jupiter????? :D

v8mgbal

Petty Officer 1st Class

Dang, I have to start over.:eek:LOL. you could be right as I am just going by the ID plate that was on it and it said jupiter on it. also this is a 63 model so maybe that could explain it? I think I will do some more research.

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

You adopted her as a Jupiter..
Cared for her as a Jupiter..
Lovingly caressed your hand along her hull as a Jupiter..

Too late to turn back now....Jupiter she will always be, no matter what we say..

Bob_VT

Staff member

Maybe that was the original Jupiter model? That was later re-badged as a Nassua? It is really the structural items and hull shape that threw me. :confused:

v8mgbal

Petty Officer 1st Class

I think I have proof as it has the two step pads instead of one like the picture of the nassau has;).

reelfishin

Captain

If your boat is a 1963, than I don't even think they built a Nassau that year. The choices in 16' aluminum boats would be Jupiter, Starmist, and Stardust.
I had a 1963 16' Starcraft, sold it about a year ago now, it had three knee braces, but really didn't match any of the specs for any of the older 16' boats. I pretty much gave up and just figured it had to be a Jupiter since it was far deeper than the Starmist or Stardust models and it wasn't even close compared to any other newer or older models.
The Starmist/Stardust models were the same hull, just different seating and trim arrangements. The Jupiter was a deeper and wider hull. The older models were flat bottomed at the stern while later models gained somewhat of a V shape similar to the later SS models.
The older hulls differ greatly in shape and measurements from later models. I found out long ago that the first thing you need to do is determine the year, then figure out the model by comparing specs.

Bob_VT

Staff member

Reelfishin is the man! "The older hulls differ greatly in shape and measurements from later models. I found out long ago that the first thing you need to do is determine the year, then figure out the model by comparing specs."

Reelfishin helped me identify my old hull ;)

v8mgbal

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hello all, I finally have some updates and pictures to show as I finished cutting out the deck. I also patched some holes in the gunwales.
DSCF1941.JPG

v8mgbal

Petty Officer 1st Class

here is one of the patched spots and the new hole for the new stern light.
DSCF1942.JPG

v8mgbal

Petty Officer 1st Class

another shot of a patch spot.
DSCF1944.JPG

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Your deck looks real sharp V8! Excellent!

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander

Looks very nice! How are you going to fasten the deck down?

v8mgbal

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks guys, I am still up in the air kinda on fastners. screws or rivets:confused:. I am leaning more to screws or bolts as I can control the tightness better than rivets but then again rivets would be easier dang.:confused:

Huron Angler

Admiral

Very nice job on that deck:)

Did you get the bow piece right the first time? (if so you are better than some of us:p;)).

I used rustoleum deck screws, with a star bit. They are self-tapping and bite well into the plywood and the ribs/stringers.

Next time around I think I will use rivets just for the sake of comparison(and I have a friend of a friend who works for Fastenal now).

Keep up the good work!

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander

When using rivets, will the stringer or whatever is under the deck, draw up to the deck? Obviously it would with screws, but I wonder when drilling the hole for the rivet, will it tweak the metal under the deck down? It is possible to end up with a gap between the deck and stringer when using rivets?

v8mgbal

Petty Officer 1st Class

good point with the screws pulling down the deck better DJ. I think screws are a winner. I did do it with only one piece of wood but I must have taken it in and out twenty times as I would take a little off put it back in then measure and take it out and trim and repeat. my wife asked me why I kept going back and forth with the piece of wood and like I told her its a lot easier to remove wood than to add it back on.:D

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander

It seems rivets are most commonly used, but screws have been too. I remember EZ mentioned once maybe going every other.... screw.... rivet... screw..... rivet, then going back and replacing the screws with rivets so you would end up with all rivets. That way you have something pulling the under-part up to the deck. I may do that. Since you were about to the point of securing your deck, I thought I'd ask.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I used screws on both of mine. I think rivets may pull tighter and last longer though. I think if you use rivets, you should drop a couple screws in first to get everything tight and locked into place. You can then chose to replace these with rivets later. Just an idea.

v8mgbal

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks EZ I like that idea. I spent some time last night reading other resto threads and it seems like there are a lot of ideas out there. I think yours makes the most sense though. the other thing I was not sure of was do I drill the holes first then epoxy the deck or after:confused: and many thanks for to all for the input.

Huron Angler

Admiral

Using set screws as mentioned is a good idea, also you could set some deep cycle batteries on the deck above the stringers to keep it flush underneath.

I had my helpers stand on the deck while I put in the screws to keep it where it needed to be. It's a great feeling when you can see the deck being tied down tightly to the stringers and it has no give at all.:cool:

The big advantage with screws is that you can remove the deck if needed...in theory at least, mine won't be going anywhere since I used 5200 on each screw and then counter-sunk them and epoxied over them for a smooth surface.

This helped alot when we put down the Nautolex marine vinyl.:)