1963 16 ft Starcraft Jupiter restoration

v8mgbal

Petty Officer 1st Class
DSCF1792.JPG
Super hot today so got out the umbrella and went to work on taking apart the boat. first thing was to make a motor stand out of scrap wood I had and get the motor off.

RobbyA

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Starcraft Progress

Can't wait to follow your progress! I am still looking for one. I think they are extinct in these parts.

BTW, Nice pic ;) and post plenty of them as you go!

v8mgbal

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks Robby. These pictures would not be here without your help and you were right as once you start loading pictures It seems easy.

v8mgbal

Petty Officer 1st Class

Look ma no motor.
DSCF1795.JPG

RobbyA

Petty Officer 1st Class

Did you order a motor eyelet?

v8mgbal

Petty Officer 1st Class

And the motor on its (new) stand in the basement.
DSCF1796.JPG

Last edited:

v8mgbal

Petty Officer 1st Class

No I cheaped out and attached chains to the brackets that hold the top cover on as there were four of them and very heavy duty. it worked great and I only had to lift it about 6 inches and turn and lower it onto the stand. plus it did not cost me 40.00 bucks:D

v8mgbal

Petty Officer 1st Class

Progress today as I began my deck removal to see what horrors lie beneath. first I decided to go ahead and remove the splashwell as it looked to me to make it easier to get to the transom area.
DSCF1819.JPG

v8mgbal

Petty Officer 1st Class

Made myself a cheap sun shade to keep cool under and can take it down when not used.
DSCF1820.JPG

v8mgbal

Petty Officer 1st Class

then I went to work pulling up the deck and found what we all hope to find(not) as the PO left the old decking down and it was rotten and soaking wet and HEAVY.
DSCF1822.JPG

v8mgbal

Petty Officer 1st Class

After I removed many buckets of old decking and heavy soaked old white float material as that stuff was like a bis sponge and I weighed each bucket just because I was curious. I filled the back of my truck with 365lbs of crud.
DSCF1827.JPG

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

You are still in the fun stage ;) Trust me you will have a few bad days but they pass ........ restoring is fun work!

v8mgbal

Petty Officer 1st Class

After some cleaning with lots more to do it looks a lot better and seems a whole lot lighter. almost ready for a leak check.
DSCF1830.JPG

RobbyA

Petty Officer 1st Class

Awesome progress. I guess you saw I gave up on finding a Starcraft and wound up getting a glasser.

I am going to adopt your sunshade idea into one of my own. Wonder what the Mrs. will say? :eek:

v8mgbal

Petty Officer 1st Class

One more picture of the cleaned out area and soon to start patching and repairing. hope I saved enough of the old deck to make a new deck. but I am really happy to get that old crud out.
DSCF1824.JPG

v8mgbal

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hey Robby, tell her the same thing I did. Honey I can take it down every day after I use it as I drilled some holes into the driveway that I stick the pipes into and I can just pull them out when done.
DSCF1828.JPG

v8mgbal

Petty Officer 1st Class

Robby I forgot to tell you there is a 65 starcraft cabin cruiser on the ATL craigs list for only 850.00 that did not look to bad. and what is worse is there is a 63 starcraft fiberglass runabout also on there for 600.00 that I am trying to trade a bike for. I must really be going off the deep end:eek:

RobbyA

Petty Officer 1st Class

Robby I forgot to tell you there is a 65 starcraft cabin cruiser on the ATL craigs list for only 850.00 that did not look to bad. and what is worse is there is a 63 starcraft fiberglass runabout also on there for 600.00 that I am trying to trade a bike for. I must really be going off the deep end:eek:

LOL... I know I have bought two boats within a year and been able to keep them..... The Mrs. must be up to something or wanting something. I wish I would have saw the cabin cruiser I would have had my dad go pick it up, still might...:D Just got to figure out how to get it back to Texas and break it to the wife.

WOW! The cabin cruiser is super nice!!!! Going to call dad and see if he is interested.... Who knows it could be my inheritance.

v8mgbal

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have to agree. the cruiser looks to good to pass up at that price. you should tel your wife you need to come see your boat uh I mean dad LOL.;)

v8mgbal

Petty Officer 1st Class

More work today as I continued to clean the under deck area. I got all the gunk out and just need to do some heavy scrubbing. the hardest part was getting all the junk out from under the stringers. it took a lot of blowing and sucking with the air nozzle and shop vac.
DSCF1834.JPG