1963 16 ft Starcraft Jupiter restoration

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 1963 16 ft Starcraft Jupiter restoration

Are you guys doing any calculating to see how much flotation you need? As far as mine goes there is a ton of foam in it and I don't know if I use noodles or foam board if I will even come close to having the equivilant to what Starcraft put in there (poured Foam). I figure they must have done a calculation to have enough to float a swamped boat. I'm hesitant to just say "that should be enough" and hope it's enough.

Huron Angler

Admiral

Timfives started a thread on the topic of "how much flotation do I need" and did some math on it. I'd check that out for some good info.

My philosophy on this is to put in as many noodles and closed cell foam bloacks as I can fit. Having a ski locker certainly prevented me from getting in the same amount as the factory, but I am planning on adding more under my bow cap and under the gunwales as well.

We fit 25 noodles under the deck mostly outside the stringer and a few 4x8 sheets of pink foam too. Haven't tested it for buoyancy yet.:D

v8mgbal

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for the info guys. HA that is a good idea about putting them under the bow cap as I did not think about that. I could glue them in when I flip the boat over to prep the bottom for painting:D

v8mgbal

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ok I just read the calculatioms timfives and others did and came to the conclusion that I am still confused:confused:. anyway I got another idea reading that thread that what if I built some boxed areas in the under deck area out of pink or blue board and then filled it with two part foam. that would keep it off the AL. and leave room for draining. what do you guy think.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I'm a big fan of the hybrid foam board/pourable foaming solution for glass boats. As long as you keep it off the tin, go for it.

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander

My boat has had pour in foam in it for 32 years and no sign of any corrosion. After reading TimFives post and a couple others, I believe I am convinced to put it back in. The only negative I keep hearing is corrosion? and getting it out. I think the HUGE positive part of it is knowing I got all the possible foam in it. If I get another 32 years out of it as the PO did, I'll be happy. Like HA I was going to add a ski locker and to offset the reduced foam area i would add some under the gunwalls and under the splash well. Just my random thoughts on the issue.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

OOooooo, I feel a foam talk abrewing.

I know one of the arguments FOR pour in foam is that it fills "every nook and cranny". I have a cut right through the mid section of this here Baja, check it out...
P1010036.jpg

It might be a little hard to make out but the port side has a good size void there while the starboard side has a giant void. I'd consider those areas "nooks and crannies".

Just food for thought.

Cheers!!

RobbyA

Petty Officer 1st Class

OOooooo, I feel a foam talk abrewing.

I know one of the arguments FOR pour in foam is that it fills "every nook and cranny". I have a cut right through the mid section of this here Baja, check it out...
P1010036.jpg

It might be a little hard to make out but the port side has a good size void there while the starboard side has a giant void. I'd consider those areas "nooks and crannies".

Just food for thought.

Cheers!!

It looks like you are missing a few vital pieces for flotation there! :p:p:D

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

It looks like you are missing a few vital pieces for flotation there! :p:p:D

Nice man, yah that boat there would sure need a whole lot more pour in foam eh!

Compliments of my trusty Stihl 361!

v8mgbal

Petty Officer 1st Class

Wow that is going to be one tuff resto.:D

v8mgbal

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hello all, I got a little progress today as the gluvit has had a week to cure and I made sure it was kept out of the sun. I was able to get the under deck area painted with POR-15 so there should be no more corrosion problems.
DSCF1879.JPG

v8mgbal

Petty Officer 1st Class

a shot forward.
DSCF1880.JPG

v8mgbal

Petty Officer 1st Class

I also got a couple of the holes pluged in the splashwell as I will not be using the cable steering again.
DSCF1881.JPG

v8mgbal

Petty Officer 1st Class

I also got the bottom and sides of the splashwell painted so that was about all for today. I think my next job will be to flip it over and clean and paint the hull so moving right along.
DSCF1882.JPG

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Looks great. Since you're paining, I would definitely paint the inside of the transom skin as that's typically an area of possible corrosion.

v8mgbal

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks EZ, I am I was just going to do all the above the deck items after I got the decking down. I was thinking it would be a lot easier to do it that way. I keep thinking colder weather will slow me down but the forecast this week is all above 90 degrees:mad:. I am ready for the fall.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

She's Lookin REAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAL GOOD V8

I'm just sayin...:D

v8mgbal

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hello all, I got the boat in the turtle position today and started to sand down the hull to get it ready for paint.
DSCF1883.JPG

v8mgbal

Petty Officer 1st Class

and one more as the sun sets.
DSCF1884.JPG

v8mgbal

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well not much progress today just some sanding on the hull. it felt like I did a lot its just not that visual.
DSCF1886.JPG