Rustoleum with a Paint Sprayer

coalminerswife

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I've noticed a few posts here regarding using Rustoleum paint with a paint sprayer. Would someone please tell me what kind of sprayer you used? We have so far purchased two Wagner sprayers, and neither of them will spray the paint, even after we thinned it with acetone per the paint directions. Is there any particular sprayer that works well with Rustoleum?

Isaacm1986

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Rustoleum with a Paint Sprayer

Those wagner sprayers are crap. I spent $90 on a wagner about a year ago and it has never worked well.

I bought a HVLP sprayer from harbor freight for $15. It works great. The pain has to be thinned, it is too thick on it's own. but none the less it works great. The HVLP sprayer does require a air compressor. Here is a picture of my boat finished, and the sprayer i bought.

DSC_0165.jpg

DSC_0024-3.jpg

coolbikeguy

Chief Petty Officer

im not sure why your wagner wont spray it...... they spray thicker household paint. hmmmmmmm ?? most of the guy are using air sprayers, either traditional bottom feed or the newer hvlp kind. did you read any of the posts form guys that have done the roll and tip method ? come join us in the starcraft section and check out the resto section there. most are aluminum boats and most did the roll and tip with fantastic smooth results. CBG

Isaacm1986

Lieutenant Junior Grade

The roll and tip method is great also if you don't want to worry about spraying. I have used that with very good results as well. CBG has a good point, It is definitely a option to look into.

coalminerswife

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I think you're right on Wagners being crap. The first one sprayed the first coat on the boat perfectly. We cleaned it and put it away for the night. The next morning it would not spray at all. I took it home, disassembled it, and soaked all the parts that could be clogged in mineral spirits. It still wouldn't work. Lowes took it back, and exchanged it for another one just like it.

This morning, I filled up sprayer #2 with paint, after I thinned it, of course. It sprayed for about two minutes before it quit. I cleaned it, and it still wouldn't spray. When I say it wouldn't spray, I mean it would not spray the paint or the mineral spirits. The motor was running, but nothing was coming out. I'm hoping Lowes will take this one back too.

In case anyone is interested, it's the Wagner Power Painter 5.4 gph. I got on Amazon.com just now and read the reviews there. They're not good.

We're going to go to the flea market tomorrow and see if we can find a cheap hvlp sprayer. We have an air compressor, so that's not a problem.

Thanks for all the help.

coolbikeguy

Chief Petty Officer

if you have a harbor freight close you can sprayers like isaac has. tractor supply also sells them but for more cash,sears has them for about a 100 bux, also check at lowes when you go back they used to sell a nice hvlp gun.

Jis4Jeep

Seaman Apprentice
Last edited by a moderator:

Isaacm1986

Lieutenant Junior Grade

if you have a harbor freight close you can sprayers like isaac has. tractor supply also sells them but for more cash,sears has them for about a 100 bux, also check at lowes when you go back they used to sell a nice hvlp gun.

Lowes does sell a really nice kobalt HVLP gun, I think it will be the next one I buy.

coalminerswife

Petty Officer 3rd Class

We took the second Wagner back to Lowes yesterday. We also went to Tractor Supply and bought a HVLP gun for $19.99. It worked beautifully. It's metal, and it's also much easier to clean up than the plastic Wagners are.

Sadly, about five minutes after my husband sprayed on the second coat of paint, a thunderstorm blew in, and the boat got soaked. It absolutely poured the rain, and the wind blew leaves and grasss all over the paint job, as well. I suspect there is some sanding in my future.