1994 Bayliner Capri 1950 Restoration

proshadetree

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 1994 Bayliner Capri 1950 Restoration

Really like that 1/2 ton clamp. Good ideal I just screwed my together. It is great to be rebuilding. Looking good man. cant wait to see more.

ok i seemed to have called them by wrong name,,(da ha) i figuared out how they were bulit as u say seat boxes..i removed the sides (with the groves for folding seats down) and rebuilt them and glassed them and routed for seat to lay down am in confusing about putting new seats back in on new boards (also redid) because i took a part with out paying attention to way they hidge back together ..lol.. seems the hidge on the top of seats are to far away to do seems to be a gap to wide at top,,scarctching head as i only have this to do yet to have seats in...

dsorrell

Cadet

Your pics and step by step are great to follow. Many thanks for the education. It's useful now and for my future hull work.

dsorrell

Cadet

Is everything going ok with your restoration? It's been a while since your last post and I've been anxious to see how things have progressed.

petermarcus

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Is everything going ok with your restoration? It's been a while since your last post and I've been anxious to see how things have progressed.

Wow, the site has changed a lot in a couple months!

Life got in the way a bit -- work and stuff, but also the City patrolled our neighborhood and told all of us with boats in our driveway to move them to the side of the house. It's against city code to have boats or RVs in the driveway in our town. Unfortunately, both sides of my house are big dropoffs, so I couldn't park the boat there, so I put the hull in storage. Out of sight means I couldn't grab an hour or two here or there to work on it.

But! We're moving this month to a new house (not because of the boat, but that's a nice bonus for me!). The new place has plenty of room on both sides of the house, so the hull will come out of storage and I'll be able to work on it at will again. So, see everyone in February!

lowvlot

Petty Officer 1st Class

Come on February. Can't wait to continue following your progress. Unfortunantly mine will have to wait a bit longer for the weather to turn.

dsorrell

Cadet

Hey Petermarcus,
nice to know you are still around. Partly due to your adventure of redoing your entire boat, I finally dug into my transom repair. Slow, but going. I don't do a whole lot when it's only 25 deg in the garage. Maybe I'll post in a new thread how that is progressing.

Anyway, I agree with the other guy about come on Feb. We're all anxious to see you get on with the "show".

wingmastr23

Petty Officer 1st Class

Man....I am SO interested in this thread...but the pictures don't come up....what is the deal!!!! I am getting ready to start working on my own Bayliner 1950 - would LOVE the insight!

wingmastr23

Petty Officer 1st Class

OK....figured it out - must be the picture host site server (fotocuisine.com) it is running very slow....or it isn't up at all. Hope it gets fixed soon! Wanted to start tomorrow!!! I can't wait to read this thread.

petermarcus

Petty Officer 2nd Class

We now return you to original programming, already in progress....

As I mentioned above, work and life and city ordinances got in the way, for a while, but now we're settled into a new home with more room on the sides of the house and I've started working on the Bayliner again.

When I last left off, I had created the new transom, but now it's finally time to start the process of installing it. I had taken some pictures of cutting out the keyhole, etc, but on top of everything else,
I broke my phone's SD card and lost all my pics. New card installed, but man, that was annoying.

newtran1.jpg

The keyhole wasn't too bad to cut out, but I'm not too happy about the job I did carving out notches for the steering knob/cable. I used one of those hole-bits on my drill, but I probably should have rigged up a jig to guide it in, instead of trying to do it by hand. No real structural issue, and it'll be covered with epoxy anyway, but it just looks kind of ugly, and there are nice little marks where the thing ran away from me.

newtran2.jpg

Ah well. I'm going to PL the thing into place, but I'm still having horror-flashbacks to the rotten wood I had to take out in the first place. Instead of PLing the bare wood to the stern's poly, I'm actually coating the back of the transom (and the inner and outer edges) in a quick soak of epoxy to waterproof it. The PL is supposed to be waterproof too, but I'm adding a thin layer of insurance. I'm going to glass over the whole thing once it's in place, but I've become really paranoid about water now.

newtran3.jpg

newtran4.jpg

While the transom dries, I prepped some scrap wood for being bolted to the transom and hull to keep the transom in place until the PL bonds. I took the keyhole cutout (you can see the spots where I used a drill to make jigsawing a lot easier, I wish I had those pics...) and traced an outline on a scrap of plywood. I placed a bigger piece of plywood under that -- the bigger piece will be bolted outside the stern, and the smaller piece will be pressed against the transom. I'm only dealing with a transom a couple feet wide, so I think this is going to be a little easier to clamp into place. I'm most concerned about the gimble/housing area being perfectly flat and the right thickness. The rest of the transom, such as it is, is important to transfer the propulsion forces to the hull and stringers, but I want that center area really nice and bonded tight.

newtran5.jpg

newtran6.jpg

I need to time the transom installation. I want to wait overnight for the epoxy to dry, but it looks like a possibility of rain tomorrow. I need to factor in the time for the PL to dry, then I want to put at least one coat of epoxy/glass over the whole thing, so I need to pick a time when it's not going to rain for a couple days...in Florida in the Spring.

Last edited:

wingmastr23

Petty Officer 1st Class

Subscribed to this thread.....Very interested!! Thanks for the update!

petermarcus

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Once I started working on the boat again, I've been really impatient to get to it again! Like I said above, though, I wanted a pretty good chance for two days rain-free so that I could do a 24-hour PL cure, then a reasonable amount of time to at least cure a coat of epoxy over the top for waterproofing before the next rain. So, a week of hit and miss rain later (including one day that was supposed to rain but didn't), here I am.

The first thing I did was pull and grind off some leftover glass from removing the transom. I wanted it out of the way so I could tab the transom in with enough room around.
tinstall1.jpg

There was a lot of little fibers left over, so I put a 60 grit wheel on the grinder and got rid of them, feathered down any ridges nearby, and scuffed up the inner surface of the transom. After the dust settled, I hit the whole thing with acetone. Can't see it as well on the pic, but it looked a lot better (and smoother) when I was done.
tinstall2.jpg

I did a dry fit of my clamping pieces of plywood, and noticed I made the outside stern piece too wide -- the swim platform was in the way. I could have removed the platform, but really, my stern is angled and is only flat around the part of the transom anyway. If I kept it wide, it wouldn't be touching the stern there anyway. So, I ripped the plywood a little closer on that side.
tinstall3.jpg

In the middle of the night during the week, it occurred to me that I could clamp this thing, and if it moved or shifted while I was clamping it down, I wouldn't know until I removed the bolts after it had cured. So, I used a hole saw to cut a couple spots in so I could peek in and make sure the keyhole in the new transom was aligned with the keyhole in the stern.
tinstall4.jpg

Showtime! I sanded down any grit from the epoxy after sealing it, then hit that with acetone. Once dry, I took a tube of PL and spread it around the whole surface and used a notched trowel to groove it out.
tinstall5.jpg

Tricky getting everything to line up without shifting the transom, but I got everything bolted in.
tinstall6.jpg

petermarcus

Petty Officer 2nd Class

tinstall7.jpg

I could hear the stern flex and the wood bite, and could see the PL squirting out around the top, so looking good.

This is the first time I've put something back on the boat after demoing it. Feels good!

petermarcus

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I unclamped the transom, time to seal it in.

After unclamping, the plywood and stern thickness measured just over 1 3/4". Maybe 1 13/16". The transom has to be between 2" and 2 1/8". Any shorter, and the drive shaft from the stern drive won't be able to seat all the way -- it's too short of a connection and there's a risk that the transom is too short to bolt on the sterndrive. Anything more than 2 1/8" and the drive shaft will have extra room. Odds are, extra room won't be an issue for day to day boating, but say I'm caught in a storm offshore and fighting 5-6 footers beating back in again. That's just when the splines will strip because the engine doesn't have enough contact to drive the prop. So, I have to nail that sweet spot.

I'm using epoxy, so I can't use normal CSM (that binding thing). I bought two yards of what I believe is 20oz weave. It looks like it, but the sign was down at the boat store, and the sales guy didn't know. But, it's a thick weave, and I'm not going for strength right now (I'll fillet and tab in later), I'm just going for bulk. So I cut a chunk to fit, and whipped up some epoxy with some cabosil for thickness (I'm going almost 90 degree vertical, and epoxy tends to run without the filler).
tt21.jpg

I wet out the transom pretty thick, added the weave, then wet that out. The pot was getting warm in my hand, but I think I got most of it pretty well. It was a massively thick piece of cloth, and it was a race against time. The pics seem to show bubbles, but I wet it out pretty thoroughly and poked at it with a couple pushpins to test, so I think some of it is just flash pics from my cellphone at sunset.
tt22.jpg

After a 24 hour cure, I cut off the excess. I did get a bit of air at the lower left part of the keyhole. I'll squirt some epoxy in there to bind that down. The rest of it worked out pretty well, even though it still looks shiny in the pic.
tt23.jpg

Measurement shows 1 7/8" (with a shaky hand trying to take a pic and measure accurately with my left hand under the boat shooting up to the sky), which means this whole layout was maybe 1/16" or maybe a hair more. At this rate, I need to do two more layups and I should be in the sweet spot.
tt24.jpg

Easter is coming up, and I'll be on the other side of Florida. Not sure if I'll be able to put another layer in before I go, but at least at this point, the ply is nicely saturated with epoxy so I don't have to worry about rain.

Last edited:

Your project looks good. Your story has inspired me when it seemed as though the demo would never end.I am doing a similiar job to my 15 center console. Complete stringers,transom and floor. Just finished the demo part last weekend and ordered some material to pick up on monday, now if the rain would just stop for a while....

petermarcus

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well, in the last couple weekends, I got another couple layers of glass on the transom. Kind of a boring process watching epoxy dry, but here's the second layer of 24oz:
translayer2_1.jpg

Got it to 1 15/16" thick:
translayer2_2.jpg

So, we'll try one more layer to get it up to 2" to 2 1/8":
translayer3_1.jpg

Adding my transom to the many other transoms wearing the badge (couldn't have done this without the forum!):
translayer3_2.jpg

I still have epoxy on my forearm, so I'll cut off the excess glass and measure the thickness tomorrow morning when everything is dry.

petermarcus

Petty Officer 2nd Class

So I went out to check on how the transom was drying. It's lovebug season here in Central Florida.

lb1.jpg

Does any one know if lovebugs add strength to epoxy? They're soft bugs, but those legs might act as fibers....hmmm....

petermarcus

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Trimmed the excess cloth this morning and measured transom thickness....and it's just barely, barely 2". I've hemmed and hawed and scratched my head a bit, but I think I'll feel better with one more layer, maybe even two. They're coming out to just under 1/16th" per layer. I'd like it right at 2 1/16" or a touch over if I can get it.

I hate working with the 24oz, though. It's thick and it's hard to get it soaked with epoxy, especially when I put the cabosil in. I squeegee and brush to make sure it's all soaked, and epoxy squirts all over the place, but the weave is so thick, it's like the squeegee actually removes epoxy from the fibers instead of forcing it under. I'm just building up size right now, but I'd hate to use this stuff for strength. I'd always be worrying that there are bubbles under there somewhere.

fngboater

Petty Officer 2nd Class

wow youre doing a great job there peter i cant wait to see more
it nice to finally find someone with the same boat as me