Floor Project - 1992 Sea Ray 180 Runabout

Status
Not open for further replies.

jerrybossard

Seaman Apprentice
1992 Sea Ray 180 Runabout Mercruiser 3.0 Alpha One GenII

Project: Replace floor due to rotten wood and water logged foam.

My wife really likes the boat, so that is why I am fixing it. We intend to keep the boat for quite awhile since this is our first boat.

I purchased this boat earlier this spring with knowing the floor needed to be replaced. I have already repaired the lower unit and put new bellows on the back. I have had the boat on the water multiple times, but I kept finding more and bigger soft spots as the past few months have gone by, so I decided with the high water and most of the rams are closed in my area I would start on the floor.

I've just begun the process of removing the carpet and started cutting away on the floor to remove the foam.

I'll probably have some questions as I continue, but for now I'm just working to get the floor out.

Opinion Question: I'll probably put carpet back in, but my wife and I are undecided on carpet color between (dark gray, light gray or red). We have red accent color throughout the boat (pin stripe on sides and seat cushions). Carpet color was a medium gray color.

Attachments

• IMG_0463_mid.jpg
    IMG_0463_mid.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0500_mid.jpg
    IMG_0500_mid.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 8

69rrvert

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Floor Project - 1992 Sea Ray 180 Runabout

Welcome to the forums. I am knee deep in my '93 Sea Ray 200BR with what started as a floor and front stringer repair and turned into a complete rebuild (floor, stringers, and transom). When you start cutting out the wood, the best tools that I have used on mine is a sawz-all (reciprcating saw), 3" Craftsman circular saw, and a Dremel Multi Max tool. Also, be sure to get a good half face cartridge respirator, Tyvek cover-alls, and safety glasses. You can see the Dremel at work in the link in my sig. If nothing else, at least get a sawz-all. I hope that everything goes well and you can get by with just the floor. If you are able to, would you mid posting some good pics of the engine compartment and how it is laid out. All of that was missing when I bought mine. Thanks, Steven

jerrybossard

Seaman Apprentice

Steven,

Thanks for the welcome and information about the tools. I am currently using a circular saw and a sawz-all for removal. I also found that using a hand dry wall saw works great for taking the foam out in chunks.

My father and I repaired the floor on his 1970's 18' tri-hull boat (brand unknown) about 15 years ago, so the memories of safety and tools are coming back to me. :)

I'd be glad to put up some more pictures for you of the engine area as I have not started in that area yet. I'll be able to get those pictures taken later this afternoon and put up this evening. I can probably get you some basic dimensions of the area.

The transom looks to be in good shape and the motor works fairly well, but it tends to to idle a bit on the low RPM side and then it dies. If RPMs are below 600 when idling its just a matter of time for it to kill itself, so I'll look at the carb and try some engine cleaner. I may also bump up the idle RPM to 700 to 800, but not exceed 800.

Thanks,

Jerry

-DannyBoy-

Seaman

I'm finding the high water to be a big PITA here in Iowa as well but like you, I'm using the time away from the water to get some stuff done. Good luck with your project!

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

As a previous owner of navy carpet in my last boat....let me cast my vote for light gray as your new carpet color. Will hide dirt MUCH better than your other choices. My navy carpet was a nightmare. I went with marine vinyl on my current boat.

jerrybossard

Seaman Apprentice

ezmobee,

Thanks for the vote! I appreciate it very much.

Jerry

jerrybossard

Seaman Apprentice

-DannyBoy- Thanks! I hope you get your projects done as well.

jerrybossard

Seaman Apprentice

Steven,

Here are some links to pictures of the engine compartment. I have the two swivel captain chairs with the bench seating in back for my boat's seating arrangement. I folded back the top laying bench / deck so you could see the entire compartment area.

Full Quality pics can be found at
http://www.jkboss.us/boat/pics/floor_repair/engine_compartment.html

It is a very basic page, but the pictures are great. The site may be a bit slow so please be patient. :)

Last edited:

jerrybossard

Seaman Apprentice

Here are the pictures of the engine compartment if the link is too slow for you.

Attachments

• P7070018.JPG
    P7070018.JPG
    90.4 KB · Views: 5
  • P7070020.JPG
    P7070020.JPG
    88.6 KB · Views: 5
  • P7070022.JPG
    P7070022.JPG
    86.7 KB · Views: 5
  • P7070023.JPG
    P7070023.JPG
    90.7 KB · Views: 5
  • P7070024.JPG
    P7070024.JPG
    86.6 KB · Views: 5

jerrybossard

Seaman Apprentice

Here is the second set of pictures for the engine compartment. Hope those help.

Thanks,

Jerry

Attachments

• P7070025.JPG
    P7070025.JPG
    88.4 KB · Views: 3
  • P7070026.JPG
    P7070026.JPG
    87.6 KB · Views: 3
  • P7070028.JPG
    P7070028.JPG
    95.4 KB · Views: 3
  • P7070029.JPG
    P7070029.JPG
    91.2 KB · Views: 3
  • P7070030.JPG
    P7070030.JPG
    90.8 KB · Views: 3

Wingedwheel

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Another great tool that I've used to get all the rot out is the Harbor Frieght Multi-purpose tool($35) with the 3/4 round blade. It gets in tight spots that nothing else can get to.

Attachments

• More repairs 011.jpg
    More repairs 011.jpg
    151.8 KB · Views: 5

jerrybossard

Seaman Apprentice

WingedWheel,

Thanks for the information.

Jerry

69rrvert

Petty Officer 1st Class

Jerry,

Thanks for the pics of the engine compartment. That kinda gives me an idea of what to do when I go back together with the interior. It will all have to be from scratch. As for your boat, take a good look at the wood in the transom between the outer gel coat and inner layer of glass and make sure it is not on its way out the hole. All of the screw holes that the factory used to secure things to the floor, are all avenues for water to get under the floor and outside of the stringers. Also, be sure to check your stringers good as well. There are screws that secure the fuel tank brackets there also. If you have any questions as to what the interior structure of your boat looks like, let me know or check my rebuild link in my sig. Here are some pics from my boat that you will want to check real good. Mine is a 1993 Sea Ray 200BR. Thanks, Steven

Starboard transom under floor. There is no glass or anything over this wood and it is rotten:
StarboardTransombottom.jpg

This is where the unprotected wood is located. Look at the area at back of boat next to stringer. Same pic as above:
resized1620.jpg

Starboard side of the gimble housing between the outer transom gel coat and the inner transom fiberglass where the exhaust exits (inside the red lines). The wood is almost dust:
Transomstarboard.jpg

Port side of the gimble housing between the outer transom gel coat and the inner transom fiberglass where the exhaust exits (inside the red lines). This wood is almost dust:
Transomport.jpg

Ladder12

Cadet

As the new owner of a 1989 Sea Ray 180, I am also getting ready to undertake this same project. It seems that my floors are all soft and I am finding several pieces of rotten wood in the bilge each time I take it out.

Please keep us informed (lots of pictures) as your renovation progresses. I need all of the help that I can get. Any helping hints that you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Rodney

jerrybossard

Seaman Apprentice

Steven,

Thanks for the heads up about the transom and the circular saw. I'll be looking at the transom later this afternoon. As you can see from my pics I've not made it to the engine compartment just yet, but will be there by hopefully end of day on Friday.

What was the size of your original stingers? I have not officially measured mine yet, but they appear to be either a 1 x 8 or something close to that. It also appears the wood may have been plywood and not a 1 x anything. Just curious if you knew what your originals were.

Do you know what size of stingers you'll use as replacements... 1 x 6, 1 x 8 or plywood? Do you plan on using treated lumber or regular lumber and then glass over for the stingers?

Did you decide to replace your transom? If so, what did you use for wood? Do you have any more pics of your transom?

Is it possible to use treated lumber and not glass in the stingers? My local marine shop said they used MDO board for the replacement floor so did does not need to be glassed? Any opinions on the MDO would be great.

Thanks,

Jerry

jerrybossard

Seaman Apprentice

Rodney,

I hope you plan on spending quite a few hours/days with your boat to repair the floor. It may look easy... but I kid you not... it is work. I would suggest finding out what your local marine shop would charge you to repair it and ask how long it would take. Once they give you a time frame you'll want to add about 2 to 3 weeks to it, unless you have 2 weeks of full days to work on it.

There are a lot of helpful hints from other restoration threads, the main thing is to be patient; one wrong move can send the saw through the hull and then you just have a whole new problem. The tools mention by myself and Steven (69rrvert) are good suggestions and will make thing go a bit smoother. I would also suggest finding a long 2 x 4 and a 18" to 36" pry bar to help with the foam removal. Even with the foam cut, it can still be a pain because of the extra weight from the water log and it may have also bonded with the glass. It should not have bonded to the hull but definitely to the stingers and other wood areas.

You'll obviously have to replace the carpet and I would suggest looking at prices online. I'm not sure how much you will need but there may be some other threads to help with the amount of carpet needed.

I'll be updating this thread as time continues and also be sure to check out others.

Thanks,

Jerry

69rrvert

Petty Officer 1st Class

What was the size of your original stingers?
As best I can tell, they were 3/4" plywood. I am still undecided what to go back with because I will have to splice the plywood if I use it. Whatever I decide, it will probably be marine grade and fiberglassed.

Did you decide to replace your transom? If so, what did you use for wood? Do you have any more pics of your transom?
I have not made it the transom yet. I still need to get the inner and outer gimble houseing off and mother nature is not allowing that right now. Nothing but rain past few days and the forecast for the weekend is no better. I will use 2 peices of 3/4" marine ply laminated together for the transom and glass it in.

Is it possible to use treated lumber and not glass in the stingers?
If you are planning to keep the boat, I would not take the chance of not glassing them. I plan on this being a one shot job and will definately glass over the stringers. Scan through the thread that Ooops has going on his rebuild and also the rebuild thread that friscoboater has on his boat. They both good threads with a ton of priceless information in that thread. Here is the link to the threads. Thanks, Steven

Ooops rebuild thread:
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=234392

Friscoboater's rebuild thread:
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=358277

69rrvert

Petty Officer 1st Class

I called a fiberglass shop and got a rough estimate on mine. They told me around $4500.00 for a turn key transon, stringer, and floor replacement. As for the carpet, there is no way that I will go back with it. My opinion is that all carpet is good for is holding moisture in the floor. Bad idea in my opinion. I'll probably glass mine in and then coat with something like friscobaoter did his. I may use a snap in carpet but nothing perminent. Thanks, Steven

jerrybossard

Seaman Apprentice

I called a fiberglass shop and got a rough estimate on mine. They told me around $4500.00 for a turn key transon, stringer, and floor replacement. As for the carpet, there is no way that I will go back with it. My opinion is that all carpet is good for is holding moisture in the floor. Bad idea in my opinion. I'll probably glass mine in and then coat with something like friscobaoter did his. I may use a snap in carpet but nothing perminent. Thanks, Steven

Steven,

Hmmm... Now I'm really debating about the carpet idea on the deck. I'll have to put carpet in for the back seat, side pocket area and the bottom area by the front seats. I've ripped out all the carpet in the boat. So either way I'll have to put carpet in... but I've definitely got something to think about.

Thanks for the opinion.

Jerry

Status
Not open for further replies.