Floor Project - 1992 Sea Ray 180 Runabout

Status
Not open for further replies.

jerrybossard

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Floor Project - 1992 Sea Ray 180 Runabout

Great work in the stringers and foam. I think mixing the pourable and the sheet foam is a very good idea.

Thanks! I figured I'm not doing too bad since this is my first go around with replacing a floor by myself. I can thank everyone on this forum for the confidence and knowledge to give me the skills and tools needed to do the job. It may not all be pretty or perfect, but I like how it is turning out.

jerrybossard

Seaman Apprentice

Here is a project that may help some of you out. 95 Monterey 210 deck/stringer replacement. Ripped out the old carpet, put down a new deck/fiberglass and then Gel Coated it. Put removable carpet in by www.corinthianmarine.com . Been nothing shy of fantastic so far. The boat is is in far better shape now than it was brand new.

Here is a link to all of the pictures I took throughout the project.
http://s529.photobucket.com/albums/dd334/DMSH2/Boat Project/

Here are a few Random ones of the Gel Coated Deck and carpet:The first one is obviously when the deck was going back in. But something you might want to seriously consider is putting drain holes at the base of your stringers, so that in the event that water does make its way outside of them (which it will) the water can make its way to the bilge. You can see I also left a channel between the stringer and foam for the water to run.
QUOTE]

Thanks for the information. I have decided to put drain holes in the stingers by the end of the gas tank. I have also attempted to put some channels in for the water to run and out the holes, but I believe the pourable foam may have blocked some of the channel so I am going to add a couple more holes in the stingers to the gas compartment.

Thanks again for the pictures! The boat looks great!

jerrybossard

Seaman Apprentice

Ok. Sorry for not updating this thread sooner, but I have been really busy with working about 10 to 14 hours Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday last week on the boat to get it ready for a relaxing weekend. My wife wanted to take it out on the lake while we where camping with family so I had a dead line to meet and as many of us know... if the wife ain't happy; nobody's happy! :)

So, I put pourable foam under the deck of the floor and left the center and front area open for the gas tank and a cubby hole for storage like many boats have. Once the foam was completed I built the back seats and then used fiberglass and resin on the seams of the joints. I also did a light coat of resin over the fiberglass floor (which may not have been needed), I did a second coat of fiberglass and resin on the joints. I did sand the joints between coats and then cleaned the floor to remove any dust or dirt before I rolled on the Durabak floor. I decided to put on the Durabak-18 gray textured rubberized floor over top of the wood. I'm very happy with the product, but I would say that 1 gallon covers 60 sq ft as it says, but it doesn't have enough of the rubber feel to it. I would suggest putting on three to four coats of the floor or use the smooth product over two coats of the textured product. The product is very tough and durable and does require two to four days of cure time that I highly recommend.

Once the floor was complete, then I could work on the seats, side panels and put on finishing touches. I still need to work on the back layout area as that wood has rotted out, but for now it is strong enough and will get us through this season.

We also decided to accent the sides and front by using the accent red color from the seats and pin stripe on the outside of the boat. My wife really likes the accent color. It gives it some "pop".

I will put up more pictures of the finished product in a couple of days.

Attachments

• P7280085.jpg
    P7280085.jpg
    148.1 KB · Views: 4
  • P7280089.jpg
    P7280089.jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 4
  • P7280091.jpg
    P7280091.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 4
  • P7290093.jpg
    P7290093.jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 4
  • P7290094.jpg
    P7290094.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 4

tfurman6

Cadet

Helllo, I realize this is an old tread, but I am wondering if anyone has added a ski locker or in the floor storage to the 180 when doing a new floor? I have a 1992 180 and the floor needs redone, it does not have any in the floor storage, but I would like to add. Your thoughts?

MC_What have I done?!

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I know this is a very old thread but I just bought a 1992 Sea Ray 180 and the second time out on the water my wife stepped on the ski locker lid and the entire thing collapsed and what I thought was a water ready boat has now become a complete floor replacement project. I am curious if you ever finished this project and what the outcome was? Also, if you had any advice or regrets on the way you did your restore?

Status
Not open for further replies.