My Restoration Project....1976 Glastron Carlson CV16

Status
Not open for further replies.

JJ1479

Cadet
The boat was given to me by my in-laws. It was just sitting around collecting dust, dirt, weeds, etc. So we dragged it home a started the long process of the restoration.

First things first, the floor, skids, and transom need to be replaced. Tip are welcome.

P1010009.jpg

P1010010.jpg

P1010011.jpg

P1010012.jpg

P1010013.jpg

P1010014.jpg

Last edited:

JJ1479

Cadet
Re: My Restoration Project....1976 Glastron Carlson CV16

P1010015.jpg

P1010017.jpg

P1010029.jpg

P1010036.jpg

P1010035.jpg

P1010032.jpg

Last edited:

JJ1479

Cadet

P1010047.jpg

P1010053.jpg

P1010049.jpg

P1010051.jpg

P1010030.jpg

P1010048.jpg

Last edited:

JJ1479

Cadet

P1010055.jpg

P1010056.jpg

P1010057.jpg

P1010058.jpg

P1010059.jpg

P1010054.jpg

Last edited:

JJ1479

Cadet

P1010061.jpg

P1010062.jpg

P1010065.jpg

P1010066.jpg

Last edited:

Looks like pretty much what i've been doing for the last 5 months with a 78 carlson cvx16ss. alot of work but the lines and body style of these boats are really one of a kind. That gray metallic should come out after about 7 to 10 coats of rubbing compound. A rotary buffer will ease some of the pain. I spent about 300 on upholstry (sp?) and did alot of it myself with Nagahide. seats are cheap online. Fiberglass is well... expensive but get some disposable gloves. The foam under the deck needs to be replaced with the same. I don't think the blow in stuff has the same bouyancy. If the wood is that rotten I'd re-glass the transon with a top coat and redrill any holes that are needed. Good luck one that sweet ride. I see the 115 on the back. That sucker should scream.

CN Spots

Lieutenant Commander

Am I seeing that right? A manual horn? I gotta be looking at that wrong. If that's what that is, it's beyond funny.

"I dunno officer. When I first saw hime I thought he was celebrating or something... and then he crashed into the marina."

Sweet ride! One of my favorite hulls.

JJ1479

Cadet

Well its been awhile since my last post. Honey Do list tend to take over your life. Any who, the following pics will tell the story of where I'm at now with the restoration. I have yet to glass anything or even buy the wood for that matter. Just still grinding away, slowly but surely. Probably the major things that have happen since last time are:

1. Got the engine off
2. Got the boat of the trailer and into the garage for some needed SHADE! (Texas heat is no joke, its been over 100 degrees every day for like the last 2 weeks)
3. Removed all hardware, rub rail, all electrical within the boat, gas tanks, etc
4. Split the boat in the garage and placed the top out of the way.

Just grinding away. Notice the 1/4"-1/2" think "resin plate" at the transom. This was between the old wood and the fiberglass hull of the boat. I will not be grinding this thing off. It will take forever. If you look closely, you will see the "resin plate" cracking at various spots. I'm gonna grind the cracks wide and fill with resin. Kinda like fixing concrete cracks in your garage. First you clean, then you make the crack bigger, then you fill with some type of concrete crack filler. Same principal.
P1010067.jpg

The front is staring at me, daring me to take it apart. But I'm not, the wood looks good, just need to install a new permenant fuel tank on the original location. No more fuel jugs.
P1010069.jpg

The goal is to have the stringer out by this weekend. I'm only going to cut 3/4 of it out because I do not want to rip the front out just to gain access to maybe 3 more feet of stringer. Besides, the front area of the stringer looks ok. Worse case is that I will add additional support on both sides where the new stringer and old one meet.
P1010070.jpg

Notice the "resin plate" cracks near the bottom. But there is no cracking on the outside of the boat, just that "resin plate"
P1010071.jpg

Both rear corners need to be redone.
P1010073.jpg

The upper half hanging out on the trailer.
P1010074.jpg

JJ1479

Cadet

Sold the steering wheel to my boss at work. I will be getting a carbon fiber one for the replacement.
P1010075.jpg

Nasty!
P1010078.jpg

There she is sitting in the garage.
P1010079.jpg

The old bilge area. I'm gonna make it square instead and actually place the drain holes where they should have been from the factory..........where the wood touches the inner hull, not 2 inches up from the hull. That way there is not a forever lasting 2 inch puddle of water there.
P1010080.jpg

This shows the thickness of the "resin plate"
P1010081.jpg

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Welcome to iBoats!
Nice Boat and Nice Work so far. Check Out page 76 of OOPS thread for his Peanut Butter Recipe You can use it for your transom fill-in work. and for filleting your stringers etc... Check out this guys thread his boat is similar to yours so you might get some ideas.

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=364284

Hope you are using a Tyvek and a good mask during your grinding and sanding sessions. USComposites.com is a good resource for your materials if you don't already have one.

Remember Time, Money, and Beer and you can do anything

I'm just sayin...:D

JJ1479

Cadet

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, I have read that thread multiple times. He did awesome work.

As for the peanut butter, I was going to use 3M 5200 to lay the stringer and transom on. Or is it really not that stiff enough for the application?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Kinda Expensive but it would work. Lots of guys just use PL to set their stringers with and some even use it to laminate their transoms with. You will need quite a bit of filleting material to Round everything to prepare to glass everyting in so I would suggest you look into the peanut butter. Easy and fairly cheap to make, easy to apply and makes your glassing job ten times easier.

dbkerley

Chief Petty Officer

Be sure to check out or foin the CGOA Classic Glastron Owners Assoc. It should still be free and can hook you up with others in your area and original information you may need. My photobucket has some pics in it of a few 16's that were at the last one Greg had at Ross-Barnett. I sold mine and they were definitely eye-catching strong boats even today.

They changed the laws in MS and I don't like wearing my jacket the entire time I'm on the boat. The bigger the boat the less you have to wear it.

That 115 Johnson is like the 350 chev of outboards and when you finish this one you'll be looking around for a CV23 to go with it.

JJ1479

Cadet

Well the in-laws said the motor will fire up if a battery was hooked up to it, but I never tried it. There are multiple machanics in the area who work on Johnson outboards, so when the boat is complete, I will take the engine to get a complete tune up, bottom half overhaul, etc.

I'm all over the Glastron site, but for some reason I registared but have yet to receive the confirmation e-mail. Hmmmmm.........

As for the PL, could I use this stuff instead? I saw it at homedepot last night when I was shopping for solar screens to use on the house windows.

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/show_product.do?pid=6102&BECOME

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Use it for What? I would Not use it to set my Stringers. I would not use it for Fillieting. Not sure what you want to use it for. Like it says it's great for filling small holes and patching, so that's what I would use it for, not for what you are about to undertake. In my opinion you should stay with the proven methods if you want to ensure your success.

But.... It IS your boat!

JJ1479

Cadet

I finally got the 3/4 of the stringer yanked out last night (basically cut it back to where water has gotten to it), but I ran into a litle problem. I bought a pressure treated 2X4 to replace the rotted portion of the old stringer. Once I cut the old portion of the stringer out and placed the new 2x4 in position, I noticed the old stringer was about one inch higher than the new 2x4.

So the magical question is, back in the day (which was a Wednesday by the way), did these old boats use some funny dimensions for the lumber used for the stringers?

I mean its no big deal, I can just exchange the 2x4 for a 2x6 and rip one inch off the top to make a 2x5 which will basically "match" up to the height of the old stringer.

I will post a picture of this issue once I get home from work this afternoon.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

You WILL need to match your stringers to the original height of the deck. So yes you may need to use a 2x6 and cut to size. Best way to make your stringers is... Use some Cardboard and a drafsman compass. Set the cardboard in the channel for the stringer. Set the compass at about an inch and half and then scribe it along the bottom of the boat. this will scribe a line on the carboard that matches the bottom of the boat. cut the cardboard and trace this line on the wooden stringer.
NOTE**** Make SURE your PT lumber is DRY. The chemicals used can and WILL have and adverse reaction with the resin when you Start to fiberglass. Most of the guys here on the forum use two pieces of 3/4 inch ext grade plywood laminated together to make their stringers and their transoms. It's your boat so you can do what you want but PT and boats is sometimes not the best choice. It has been used and will continue to be, just not my first choice.

JJ1479

Cadet

Thanks for the tips.

Looks like I will be returning the 2x4 for a 2x6.

STevenjwis

Recruit

I just got a 1977 CV 16 Deluxe that I have to fix up. The guy had it sitting outside since 2002. I don't think that I am up to splitting the hull like you did. I do need to put in the floor like you and do all of the electrical, put in a fuel tank, seats, battery and more but the hull, stringers, and transom all look very solid. I don' think that this boat was run very much its just that the elements have wore it down from being left outside. I looks doable but we'll see.

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.