1978 Bayliner Quartermaster restoration

Allbutwet

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1978 Bayliner Quartermaster restoration

Happy fathers day to all that it applies. Today I had my son help me flip the boat for bottom paint and repairs. I originally was going to lean it against the house but decided that I could easily move the blocking around with it in this position has anyone else done one this way? ( Lowkee are you going to be able to get back to you project soon? ) I know you have been healing and such. Watching your progress is what inspired me to get going on this. Anyway more photo's.
002-2.jpg

009-2.jpg

008-2.jpg

:):)

EricR

Petty Officer 1st Class

For the love of God please please use some better quality paint than Easypoxy. Unless you want to repaint the boat in a couple years again. It is not a really hard paint and just does not hold the gloss in my experience. At least step up to Interlux Brightsides or go with some better two part paint.

The work you have done on that boat is awesome btw!

Allbutwet

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1978 Bayliner Quartermaster restoration Update

Re: 1978 Bayliner Quartermaster restoration Update

Ok, I see its been a month allready. Since my last update.(Time Flies) I have since made repairs to the bottom of the boat. Applied 3 coats of pettit 4700 epoxy primer. Followed by 4 coats of Pettit vivid boittom paint.

024-1.jpg

022-1.jpg

028.jpg

Allbutwet

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1978 Bayliner Quartermaster restoration updates

Re: 1978 Bayliner Quartermaster restoration updates

I also painted the first coat of blue last night. I will sand it and apply another coat sometime this week. But wow I'm starting to get really stoked.

037-1.jpg

036-1.jpg

035-1.jpg

:D:D

Allbutwet

Petty Officer 1st Class

Before Paint.

067.jpg

After paint.

001-4.jpg

Used Pettit Easpoxy for the topside and for the boot. If you haven't bought your paint yet; buy something else. ( I had already bought all of my paint by the time I had seen all the complaints.) I do love the shine. But the paint is soft and when sanding it tends to roll and ball up. Not perfect but I will live with it.
On the bottom I used the Pettit 4700 epoxy with Pettit vivid white. This I am happy with. Most of the scuffs from putting the boat back on the trailer just wiped off.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I used easypoxy as well with similar results. I give it a 10 for easy of application and appearance of the results. I give it a -243 for durability :mad:

Allbutwet

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ok all. I apologize for not posting any updates in sometime. I have since installed the windshield and cleats. Striped the gauge panels of their faded wood grain vinyl. Painted the bilge with some Interlux epoxy.(donated by unnamed coworker). Have not put all of the hardware on the exterior as of yet. I did discover that the swim ladder was no good. Electrolysis did it in. I have not put it on hold, but we are in slow motion. Hope to get going full steam ahead again in Febuary, Or March. Anyone one customize their guage panels? If so I'm wide open on ideas. :) :)

proshadetree

Lieutenant Commander

I was wondering where this thread went. Post some pics man. Love them Baylinners

JBF 1962

Chief Petty Officer

really enjoyed this thread, learned some new stuff again, this is a great forum...how did your boat end up?

Allbutwet

Petty Officer 1st Class

really enjoyed this thread, learned some new stuff again, this is a great forum...how did your boat end up?

Well JBF its still a work in progress. I will try to post updated pictures later in the week. If the rain ever stops long enough to uncover things.

Allbutwet

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ok here are some updated photo's. See if I can remember how this works. LOL.
008-4.jpg

Ok here is the dash.
011-2.jpg

015-1.jpg

014-1.jpg

017-1.jpg

016-1.jpg

Thinking about engraving the panels. What do you guys think?

fat fanny

Lieutenant Commander

Use a label maker with clear tape and then clear coat the pannels

Allbutwet

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ok working on the outdrive. Before I removed it I checked it all out. First manually by hand. Put it in neutral and prop spun freely and smooth. Shifted it foward shifted it to reverse all ok. So I ran the motor and did the same thing all ok. So since its 30 + years old decided it needed to have all the seals replaced. And I wanted the reasurance of actually seeing the bearings and gears.
031-1.jpg

044.jpg

052.jpg

And yes that is my table saw stand the out drive is sitting in.
I will post more tommorow afternoon. So if there is something specific you would like to see feel free to ask.:)

PiratePast40

Lieutenant Commander

JUst happened to come across your restoration thread. Things are really looking sharp. Wondering what you did with the switchplates. If they're not done yet, I was thinking maybe a trophy shop might have some ideas.

Youre doing an amazing job. Those of us who have struggled through getting our similar engine / outdrive combinations running might be able to tell you about how we've handled some of the problems so don't hesitate to shout out if you get stuck on something.

Keep up the good work!

sqbtr

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Looking good, just went through the same thing with my drive.

You gonna keep that whale tail on there?

Allbutwet

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks sqbtr & PiratePast40. Yes sqbtr I think I'll keep the fin for now. I might experiment later once we are fully operational.
No PiratePast40 I haven't done anything with the panels yet. I'm pondering fat fannys idea. I've made labels before and traced them with an engraver followed by paint pen. Still open though to ideas. And thanks for the offer of help. I plan on taking the block and head to local machine shop. I do not see any visible signs of cracks in the block. But I do want to have them pressure check the block before wasting time and money on it. It did have a freeze plug missing. Though I can't find any signs of a cracked block I want to be sure.

Here is the new and old water fitting.
001-6.jpg

The old and new installed seal behind the input yoke.
003-6.jpg

Didn't do to much to it. Have to order the nylon washer that go under and over the reverse lock mechanisim. I'll post more as I go. :)

Last edited:

Hey,

I ran across your boat and I really like how you did the floor and stringers. I am doing some restoration on my boat. It is a 1976 Quartermaster but the stringers look identical and I am about to put the floor in but I am kind of confused on how to lay the three layers. How did you do it? For example did you meet up the wood ends on the stringer and then screwed it down or something else?? Thanks for the pictures they are very helpful...

Also I ran across this guy that deals with the Volvo Penta engines and out drives and he was saying for many of those gaskets and seals that if they still look good for example the transom seal that goes around the out drive to leave that one and just put new Marine sealant around it. I think he said 1500 Marine sealant is the best type to use. Anyways if you are in WA, he is located in Tacoma. His store is called Wrights Marine and also has a website. http://www.wrightsmarine.org/index.html. Anyways I am going to take my 280 up there and he is going put a used bearing housing, new seals repack the bearings, and reset the bearing housing because they only fit to that specific engine and each engines bearing housing is different, and check out the hole out drive to see if anything else needs to be changed for $150. Which I cannot pass that up.

Thanks for all the information, you have helped me visualize what I am about to go through...

cooper22

Recruit

What a awesome job your doing on your boat. I just traded my jet boat today for a 78 quartermaster that looks almost like yours. Even the red on white paint job before you painted it. I pulled it in the garage and the first thing I did was started removing the floor. Man that foam holds alot of water in it. I was wandering if you put foam back in the floor, I've read the pros and cons on doing it, just seeing what you thought on that.

Allbutwet

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hey old70syellerboat I took allot of measurements before I ripped the stringers out.Then I screwed with stainless screws the cross pieces to the stringers. I dry fitted everything before hand. I used an angle guide to determine the true angle to cut in the bottom of the stingers so they matched the bottom of the boat. I made a guide with a 2x4 that I cut the end at 18 degrees. (That's what mine is) I then used this to help hold my power planer at 18 degrees. This seemed to work really good. You should post pic's of yours.
As far as bedding the stringers I used West System epoxy and their additive to thicken the epoxy to peanut butter consistency. Although some use wheat flour. You should read some of the other resto threads. Anyway I glassed in 4inch tape across the backside of both stringers to help make sure that the epoxy didn't run out all over the place. And also to help make sure I didn't unintentionally move them. The other thing to remember is to round all of your sharp corners. This will allow you to smooth the glass out as you soak it with epoxy. I used a 4 inch roller for this. Sorry it took so long. I haven't been on here in weeks. Good luck :)

Allbutwet

Petty Officer 1st Class

Cooper22 yes I did put the foam back in. Not just because of its floatation properties, but also for sound deading. It will also make the deck and bottom more ridged. You'll see exactly why it was so easy for it to get wet in the first place as you go. Again post pictures.