high transom to a low transom

If I am unable to find an extension for my motor could I modify my transom so my cavataion plate goes lower?

It is a bass tracker 2 and I put a 25hp mariner on it. I am being told both that there is an extension kit for my motor and then I am being told there is not one available.

This is a really nice boat and I want my motor to work with it.

serial # 0B171927

Thanks a bunch!

geedubcpa

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: high transom to a low transom

I would keep looking for the extension - I cut down my transom many years ago on a boat that I eventually junked - it created more problems than good.

Cmod,

It depends. One thing that sticks outs to me is the splash well and if it is big enough and/or deep enough to accomodate your tilted motor when you lower it. I am not totally familar with Bass Tracker boats and if this is even a worry. Most times lowering a transom doesn't work out well and then you are stuck. I would keep looking for the extension and/or new lower end.

2 inches lower would put my cavitation plate right at or just below the bottom of the boat.

The boat was manufactured with a 40hp outboard with console. Now I have a 25hp tiller engin on it. I am not sure that there would be any problems lowering the transom.

I talked to a older fellow on my lunch break and he suggested lowering the transom before I mentioned it so I feel confident. I am taking to him tomorrow to look at it. I need the carbon cleared from my exhaust anyways.

5" shaft extension $435.00 I am having the guy look at it for lowering the transom.

I appreciate your responses. I will post pictures of the boat and how it is sitting now.

Hear from me again soon.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

How about a jack plate.

Walkenvol

Cadet

I 2nd the jack plate suggestion. Would be much easier than lowering the transom and would avoid changing the boat if you later decide to change motors.

It's your boat so it's up to you. I like the jack plate idea as well.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Wait...... Get a tape measure and measure from the top of the transom to the bottom of the hull.

I am not aware of Bass tracker's having XL transoms.

Your cavatation plate should be even with the bottom of the hull or even an inch or more higher.

Are you so high up that the water intake is in jeopardy? OR are you just experiencing the HP change

redfury

Commander

Wait...... Get a tape measure and measure from the top of the transom to the bottom of the hull.

I am not aware of Bass tracker's having XL transoms.

Your cavatation plate should be even with the bottom of the hull or even an inch or more higher.

Are you so high up that the water intake is in jeopardy? OR are you just experiencing the HP change

That was what I was thinking. Transoms are either 20 or 25 inches high IIRC, so if it was the wrong motor for the transom, it would be WAY off.

A Jack plate is a device that allows for almost infinite height adjustment of the motor on a boat. You can get a manual Jack plate, or a power jack plate, which you can adjust on the fly. You can also make your own jack plate if you want....someone here has instructions on how to do it.
http://www.ehow.com/how_5828342_use-outboard-jack-plate.html

You can sometimes stumble across one on craigslist for around 100 bucks....I just saw one advertised for 99 dollars there.