cleaning aluminum gas tank

swallow

Cadet
i just pulled the aluminum gas tank out of my boat. the boat has been sitting for a while and the gas tank has a major varnish build up wat is the best and easiest way to clean the varnish out of the tank

jonesg

Admiral
Re: cleaning aluminum gas tank

I flushed mine with acetone, there must be a better way but it worked, I kept the acetone for cleaning brushes.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Welcome to iboats.......

This is an old trick........ got a box of nuts and bolts about the amount that will fill a 12-16 ounce can....... drop them into the tank with gas or kerosene or whatever you have to use for cleaning and shake it around.

The nuts and bolts will help clean and loosen the stuff in a tank. when you are done...... dump them out. The reason to use nuts and bolts is because a magnet will retrieve them if you can't shake them all out.

ryan_eyres

Petty Officer 3rd Class

A length of chain will also work in place of the nuts and bolts and is slightly easier to remove.

Anyone have any suggestions for cleaning a tank that is still installed in a boat and can't be shaken around?

-Ryan

jonesg

Admiral

Pour solvent in tank, couple a length of fuel tube to a tire inflator and start the pump, let it agitate the solvent, stuff a clean lint free rag in the opening to keep fumes down.

Syphon it out and examine solvent, do it again until it comes out clean.

swallow

Cadet

alright ill give those ideas a shot and will let you know,

thanks

wallybme

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I cleaned mine first by removing the sending unit (opening is about 1.5"), then pump out the old gas. leave a little amount, then tie a piece of lint free fabric (micro fiber) to the end of a firm piece of wire. Allow the fabric to soak up the residue. pour some acetone , then a little gas and continue the procedure for about three times. I waited until the inside is dry then use a vacuum, with the hose modified to go through the sendind unit hole. This will remove any additional debris

swallow

Cadet

i got it clean i poured a gallon of methyl hydrate in it with some 7/16 nuts about 50 of them and shook it around for about 20 min then epmtied it out and flushed with water then did it again a second time and the inside was shining like new