Crestliner Viking 17, first restoration and first boat

Jordeez98

Seaman
I'm handy and very much a beginner when it comes to boats. I will be restoring the following boat that i received recently for the fianc?e's father...

Just from looking at it. ANY info anyone can give me at all on it will be great. i haven't yet picked up the title, but i've been told the year is 1960-ish and the Evinrude is a 60hp

Thanks for the look...

Attachments

• IMG_0212.jpg
    IMG_0212.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0214.jpg
    IMG_0214.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0215.jpg
    IMG_0215.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: Crestliner...will be my first restoration and first boat

Welcome to iboats......

Looks like you are in for some fun!

SnowHunter

Petty Officer 1st Class

Welcome!!! :D

Have fun with your project!!!

Lion hunter

Lieutenant Commander

Is that a tin boat or fiberglass? Here is a for vintage crestliners. Not a lot of activity on the forum but there is some good info and pics. I finished my crestliner last year (see link in signature) so that may give some helpful hints.

Good Luck.

Jordeez98

Seaman

Is that a tin boat or fiberglass? Here is a for vintage crestliners. Not a lot of activity on the forum but there is some good info and pics. I finished my crestliner last year (see link in signature) so that may give some helpful hints.

Good Luck.

I wil check out your restoration!

Thanks all,

This Crestliner isn't fiberglass. It aluminum. I have a feeling i'm in for some work :)

I still have yet to get a really good look and evaluate what the boat consists of. I hope to have it in my yard this weekend. Ya can't beat a free boat. Really excited to get started on this thing.

geedubcpa

Petty Officer 1st Class

Aluminum is easier in my opinion - just save all wooden parts for templates - use marine grade and coat everything with resin.

Test the boat for leaks and use gluvit if needed.

Jordeez98

Seaman

Aluminum is easier in my opinion - just save all wooden parts for templates - use marine grade and coat everything with resin.

Test the boat for leaks and use gluvit if needed.

Thanks...good points.

As i am JUST getting started on this project..In my head i keep thinking where i should start. The trailer i can tell may need work, if not replace. I'm told the motor runs ok, i'll just need to buy a battery to confirm..

I'm just torn at finding a starting point...

Jordeez98

Seaman
Re: Crestliner, first restoration and first boat

Re: Crestliner, first restoration and first boat

changed the title...More inspection of the boat...which still hasn't been moved to my property..Its a Viking 17.....not just have to fine the title to the boat :)

Jeep Man

Commander
Re: Crestliner Viking 17, first restoration and first boat

Welcome to the forum. I can't tell from the photos what year the boat is. I had a '68. Your motor looks to be a '70s or later model. There are Johnson Evinrude web sites that can identify it by serial number.

Jordeez98

Seaman

the Evinrude has a 'Triump' badge on it..

Thx Jeep Man, i'll be looking up the motor once i get the serial #'s off of it.

Jordeez98

Seaman

After about 2mo of planning on getting this boat to the house and working on it (my own wedding/honeymoon got all in the way, can't tell the new wife that though..lol) ...The day has come. Tonite after work i'll be going to pick it up and pull it to the house.
I'm getting the trailer checked out to be sure its road worthy for the short ride home. shouldn't have a problem tho...the tires are aired up, and i got the hitch ready. Long as the trailer doesn't rust out from under it during transport....We're golden!! :D

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Don't forget the wheel bearings!!!!!! You don't want to spin an axle. That would Ruin your day for sure.

I'm just sayin....:D

Jordeez98

Seaman

Don't forget the wheel bearings!!!!!! You don't want to spin an axle. That would Ruin your day for sure.

I'm just sayin....:D

Thanks much! We'll be looking it over tonite... :)

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

From the pic's it doesn't look like it should be that difficult a fix. As I see the pictures looks like the decking may be the hardest part of the whole thing as long as that Evinrude checks out ok.

Agreed, tinnies are much easier and less exspensive to restore than most glass hulls.

Jordeez98

Seaman

I will posting more...yes the deckin is the biggest task so far. Also, looking it over last nite. the transom is completely rotted. I was going to trailer it to the house last nite, but had worries that the motor bouncing down the road would be bad because of the shape of that transom. there are the 4 bolts that i need to remove to get it off, 2 of which i found are rusted tight and won't budge...suppose cutting them off will be easiest and replace anyway.
All the steering cable seems to be in fine shape....actually everything that is aluminum, brackets, hull and all look fine. So as it seems, anything wood has to be replaced..which isn't much.

Nothing below the decking is painted, so thats a plus. So from reading the forums..I'd go with a marine grade wood, or pressure treated maybe? I'd like to get what works best, but weighs less. Also, i'm trying to determine the best way to repair the transom that will give it a longer life..

Also...now have the title, and it say its a 1960...but i've yet to find any images that look remotely close to at least the hull of this boat..

Jordeez98

Seaman

I pulled the boat home late last nite. It was dark, had the in-laws follow me, does not have working tail lights or a license plate. Plus the age of the trailer and dry rot tires worried me just a little..lol

But we made it. Now its on my side yard, waiting for me to tear her apart..

So what do you think about this? The motor which is a 60hp Evinrude, was professionally overhauled and running great about 10-15 yrs ago, maye have been started a few times over the years and tinkered with...What are the chances that it wouldn't have to many issues getting it cranked again now. Its been covered and out of the weather. I'm just afraid that i could have siezed up, but visually looks ok and in good shape...thx

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

Good job. Must have been nerve wracking pulling it home in the dark w/o lights and questionable tires.

As for the engine, I'll bet it doesn't take much to get it started. First things I would do is see if it'll turn then change the water pump impeller and any rubber hoses.

Let the fun begin!