Crestliner Viking 17, first restoration and first boat

Jordeez98

Seaman
Re: Crestliner Viking 17, first restoration and first boat

Be VERY careful walking around in that boat without proper shoes. We had a member cut himself BADLY on a stringer.

thank you..yea that would not be good. flip flops, sandals could be dangerous i agree. I can definitely see how that could happen.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

Coming along nicely! Were you able to save any of that wood transom in case you need it to make a pattern?

Jordeez98

Seaman

Coming along nicely! Were you able to save any of that wood transom in case you need it to make a pattern?

the transom just fell to pieces..i did draw a basic sketch of it with dims, so i think i'm good. thx

I hope to build it up much stronger than it was..

Jordeez98

Seaman

Ok...i was thinking if the motor is a 1971 Evinrude 60hp, being that old how can i be sure what parts to purchase for it. Its there a site that is best for purchases for older motors?

i will get the serial # off the motor, but whats next for finding the correct parts?

Jordeez98

Seaman

You might give these guys a "Look See". iBoats has a lot of parts right here onsite as well.

http://www.twincityoutboard.com/

I'm just sayin:D...

Other than some electric shift related parts you shouldn't have too much difficulty getting parts for that motor. When I had my '73 I went to a BRP dealer and they could still order me darn near every nut bolt and screw.

http://www.boats.net/parts/search/BRP/EVINRUDE/1971/parts.html

thanks guys!....i keep jumping around no what i'm doing to this boat...i think its time to make a list, and start with #1 then move on down the list..:D

Bought a larger can of stripper, that i was advised to roll-on. this should cover the whole boat...if not i'll get more :D I've got pretty much all the parts and pieces off. windshield is off now as well, i kept it in one piece, hoping to reuse/repair...or just go w/o. If i can reuse it, i'll go a different route than mounting it with bent bolts thru the plexi and hull...seemed this could've been done better :D

My feelings all along tho, go back to basicly:

1. Restore the boat completely
  2. Repair and get the motor running once #1 is complete

Jordeez98

Seaman

No work done in about 2wks...every weekend and week night we've been getting rain here in FL..can stand it..On the weekend i go out to tinker, and rain starts to fall..I get no where..

I'll be trying again this weekend.

Jordeez98

Seaman
Paint is removed....

Paint is removed....

The bow of my aluminum boat..I'm looking now at bare metal..Should i take a sander to it to get the last bits of paint and take it down to a smoother finish with the correct application of product? I'll probably polish it to get a matte finish out of it? sounds correct?

Then a vinyl strip down the center to follow the lines..to match the red stripe on the site that you an see in pics in my resto thread in my sig. So i'll be taking it al down to the metal and overlaying where the red strip is..

So the whole boat will be polishes/buffed...i'm thinking i'll be putting much work into this part