Crestliner Viking 17, first restoration and first boat

Jordeez98

Seaman
Re: Crestliner Viking 17, first restoration and first boat

Good job. Must have been nerve wracking pulling it home in the dark w/o lights and questionable tires.

As for the engine, I'll bet it doesn't take much to get it started. First things I would do is see if it'll turn then change the water pump impeller and any rubber hoses.

Let the fun begin!

Water pump impeller, will do.....good place to start....if it turns i'll be happy, and start draining fluids replacing the small stuff..

Jordeez98

Seaman

a few late nite in the dark photos..lol. more to come..my son and i tore out the deck, found expanda-foam and styro-foam under it...then went at the transom for a bit..Yanked the motor off..thats it covered with the blue tarp in the back. :)....after the preview post i see they are all sideways. took on the iphone. I'll have to pay more attn next time..lol

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    94.4 KB · Views: 0
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    81.3 KB · Views: 0
  • photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    96 KB · Views: 0
  • photo 4.JPG
    photo 4.JPG
    80 KB · Views: 0
  • photo 5.JPG
    photo 5.JPG
    76 KB · Views: 0

sublauxation

Lieutenant

You mentioned your trailer was in rough shape. Depending on the condition of the spindles and hubs it may be cheaper to buy a whole new axle. I bought a brand new 3000lb axle online and with shipping it was only $120. Spindles and hubs would have cost about $100 plus some welding, and that doesn't come cheap.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Cool boat. I wouldn't be surprised at all if that outboard fired up. Your biggest concern there will be the shifting as there are some no longer available parts in the controls and lower unit of that electric shift motor. I second what sublauxation said about the axle. I got a 3000 lb also from Tractor Supply for the same price. It wasn't worth it to try to find all the parts needed to fix up my weird old axle.

Jordeez98

Seaman

You mentioned your trailer was in rough shape. Depending on the condition of the spindles and hubs it may be cheaper to buy a whole new axle. I bought a brand new 3000lb axle online and with shipping it was only $120. Spindles and hubs would have cost about $100 plus some welding, and that doesn't come cheap.

Good thoughts...not real sure what i'll do with the trailer. I'd like to refurb it possibly. I guess finding a cheap trailer in good shape could be an option. This is a tilting trailer, which i thought was pretty cool, i'ld like to bring it back to life,

Cool boat. I wouldn't be surprised at all if that outboard fired up. Your biggest concern there will be the shifting as there are some no longer available parts in the controls and lower unit of that electric shift motor. I second what sublauxation said about the axle. I got a 3000 lb also from Tractor Supply for the same price. It wasn't worth it to try to find all the parts needed to fix up my weird old axle.

I haven't had the cowling off to even take a look at the guts yet. But i pulled everything out. The evinrude shifter seems to be in ok shape. Moves well. It has push button fwd/rev/neutral, key turns fine... Looks like there was a bit work done on that area. the whole set up is abviously much newer than the boat.
I would've gotten the #'s off the motor, but it was getting dark and be sides my 12yr old son messing around with me. I was bear hugging that motor all by myself to get it out the boat and up against the wall..:D

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Your motor is most likely a 1971.

Jordeez98

Seaman

Your motor is most likely a 1971.

Thanks!...why are you inclined to say 1971, with such little info on my end? Basing it on the HP of the motor, the model? Its has a Triumph badge

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I knew it was a 69-72. Google image search helped me narrow it down based on looks.

Jordeez98

Seaman

I knew it was a 69-72. Google image search helped me narrow it down based on looks.

Thank you..i did some searching, but i think i was just searching to broad.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

My google-foo is strong. Very strong :D

Jordeez98

Seaman

A few more pics...did no work to day...grilled out and drank beer :D

Attachments

• photo 5.JPG
    photo 5.JPG
    97 KB · Views: 0
  • photo 4.JPG
    photo 4.JPG
    62.5 KB · Views: 0
  • photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 0

Jordeez98

Seaman

more

Attachments

• photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    72.1 KB · Views: 0
  • photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    89.3 KB · Views: 0
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    71.9 KB · Views: 0

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

Thanks Jordeez,

Nice to break away from the Bayliner bash going on in the other forum.

Looking good from what I see. Was that transom someone else's idea on how to go from a 15" to a 20"? Are you going to rebuild it the same way?

Hull looks very sturdy and shouldn't be to difficult to redeck. Keep it up!

Jordeez98

Seaman

Thanks Jordeez,

Nice to break away from the Bayliner bash going on in the other forum.

Looking good from what I see. Was that transom someone else's idea on how to go from a 15" to a 20"? Are you going to rebuild it the same way?

Hull looks very sturdy and shouldn't be to difficult to redeck. Keep it up!

OK! :) your asking me questions, i didn't even know existed...from 15" to 20"? Is the transom bigger than normal? If so, i think i'd like to go back to original. I do know a few spots look like they've been modified. Like the holes the cables are going thru. They look hand cut. Not even, like something was changed..

the transom is as i rip it up. Held together with nuts and bolts....2 pieces of 3/4" ply with a think sheet of alum between the two..i'm replacing it all..but in my head i think there has to be a better way more durable way.

Feel free to elaborate and spit some knowledge at me.. :D:D

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

A normal transon depth is either 15" or 20" from the top of the transom to the lowest part of the bottom.

The picture you posted of the rear of the boat looks like the aluminum was only 15' and someone built it up to support a 20" long engine.

Jordeez98

Seaman

thanks! I just went out and measured the center top to bottom of the wood. 15.5". (obviously only half is still there :)
Are you looking at the area of the hull that is cut out on the left?

Its dark or i woulda took a pic.

Hull is in great shape..Even the paint cleans up pretty good minus som gouges/scratches...for being weathered and sitting for so many year...about 10yrs

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

Measure up the actual aluminum, not the wood.

88phantom

Seaman

AJ, a couple tips on the motor- from experience with an engine that sat for 10 or 15 years:

Replace:
Water pump
Fuel Pump
Overhaul Carburator
Replace all the rubber lines
Replace the Thermostat(s)
Change the lower unit oil.
Change the spark plugs.

If I had known this I would not have been towed home a time or two in my 65'.

Jordeez98

Seaman

AJ, a couple tips on the motor- from experience with an engine that sat for 10 or 15 years:

Replace:
Water pump
Fuel Pump
Overhaul Carburator
Replace all the rubber lines
Replace the Thermostat(s)
Change the lower unit oil.
Change the spark plugs.

If I had known this I would not have been towed home a time or two in my 65'.

Thanks for the tips...and after those change, hopefully i'll have a running motor :D

Here are a few more photos. I've got a few friends that work for beer and pizza :D
I quickly ran to Home Depot and bought 1 can of paint stripper($7) just to really test it out and see how it worked. It worked very well. In the photos you can see what was under the blue..That red strip is original, so it'll take a bit more stripper to get that off, But the blue just peeled like a banana..lol
Also took the windshield off and removed all the expand-a-foam.

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    98.9 KB · Views: 0
  • photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    100.6 KB · Views: 0
  • photo 4.JPG
    photo 4.JPG
    112 KB · Views: 0
  • photo 5.JPG
    photo 5.JPG
    107.2 KB · Views: 0

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Be VERY careful walking around in that boat without proper shoes. We had a member cut himself BADLY on a stringer.