New build crackerbox

Status
Not open for further replies.

bananaboater

Ensign
Re: New build crackerbox

Great new project. Following you on photobucket.

I think the idea of newer V6 is good. They are pretty efficient just not the bulldog force of the 8. Of course you could always go with a modified V12. :D
That forward compartment looks big enough.

Sean-Nos

Petty Officer 1st Class

Great new project. Following you on photobucket.

I think the idea of newer V6 is good. They are pretty efficient just not the bulldog force of the 8. Of course you could always go with a modified V12. :D
That forward compartment looks big enough.

Don't tempt me,It has been done.:eek:

IMG_1354.JPG

Sean-Nos

Petty Officer 1st Class

You might hate me for this but this is my donor boat a sportique 5.7 V8
I hope to use the engine, prop,rudder,trailer and maybe the v-drive.
11.jpg

!B)EJ3Vw!mk~$(KGrHqMOKiMEwQj3pf92BML3K9r3)Q~~_35.JPG

geeco1

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: New build

Re: New build

Never understood the love affair with that style of boat. Everything from the windshield forward is so much wasted space. But that's just me...

You guys are all missing the purpose of the large bow... that is where you mount the fishing seat.:D geesh

BigBoatinOkie

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I think the only logical engine choice for a boat of that type would be an old WWII airplane engine or something nostalgic like that. Rolls-Royce Merlin maybe? :D:D:D

800px-Rolls-Royce_Merlin_-_West_Yorkshire.jpg

Isaacm1986

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Just curious how the build is going. Have not heard anything for a while now.

Sean-Nos

Petty Officer 1st Class

Things have been a bit slow but the kids are back to school this week so I should have more time to play:) As you can see from my link I have been stripping the donor boat and have the engine out ready for a rebuild as you can hear on the video there is a slight knock in it. Today I got the first few planks of mahogany on the transom,I will add photos to the album tomorrow.

Check: My new build, below I update when I can. Thanks for the interest :)

75 tique

Recruit

I just stumbled across this thread, so my response is a little dated, but I'll go ahead anyway. You asked a while back about fitting in steering if you push your prop back by putting in a transmission. I believe you are working from Glen-L plans, correct? They discuss lengthening the boat a bit, I think your 15-11 is plenty, plus using an externally mounted rudder, bolted to the transom. The BW 71 C is a pretty short transmission (11 inches, I believe). Glen-L has a bracket for it in the hardware section. Any updates on your build?

Sean-Nos

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hi thanks for the reply as you can see from my link http://s753.photobucket.com/albums/xx179/fergalbutler/crackerbox/ I am still on the planking it,s a bit slow 1 plank a day just have the bottom planks to do now but not sure of the best way to make the transition from bottom to side and keep the line of the boat,if I cut along the top of the blue tape and bring the planking down at an angle I should get away with it.
The rudder i got from the donor boat is an inboard one and as the boat is a barrel back so I don't want one off the back.I will only have to move the engine forward about 5" off the CG and hope the weight of the gearbox and a few other bits eg battery will counter act the balance shift.
Also I was thinking instead of drilling a hole for the prop shaft i will cut a long slot and then fill with epoxy around the stuffing tube when it is lined up.

I am open to any suggestions.:)

Sean-Nos

Petty Officer 1st Class

A little update I have the engine just about ready to go and at the moment I am building a mockup of the hull to sit it in so I can find the angle to drill the propshaft hole.
DSC01005.jpg

The hull is all planked to just below the waterline as that will be painted and the rest will be bright finished. Still a lot of sanding to do and then coat the sides in 4oz fiberglass cloth and the bottom in 6oz.

2011-06-20155938.jpg

oops!

Supreme Mariner

this is my first time seeing this thread.......way to go.....

motor looks and sounds great.

glad you didnt go with the clamshell thing......that is just a modified jet idea. but it would increase the drag....and if the system fails..at speed it could be catistrophic

Isaacm1986

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I know this thread is a year old now, but im wondering how the project is coming along (or came out)?

Sea18Horse

Chief Petty Officer

Well, the update with the video of the engine running is only a couple days old. Sounds great btw. I'd love to see how the hull is coming along since June. Love the classic wood boat lines. Also admire the complete lack of practicality.

Cheers..................Todd

Isaacm1986

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Well, the update with the video of the engine running is only a couple days old. Sounds great btw. I'd love to see how the hull is coming along since June. Love the classic wood boat lines. Also admire the complete lack of practicality.

Cheers..................Todd

I totally read the 2011 as a 2010. I thought for some reason this thread was a year old. My bad, need to learn to read better i guess.

Sean-Nos

Petty Officer 1st Class

I haven't done much more with the hull, the next step is to drill the prop shaft hole:eek: and it's taking a bit of working out as these boats where never built with a gearbox just direct drive so moving the center of gravity and getting the prop shaft angle have been causing a bit of a problem so to help me solve this I built a copy of the hull to use as a jig and set the engine up. I now have the angle at 13 degrees running a 13 x 13 prop so I think it will be ok " I hope"

2011-06-28164644.jpg

2011-06-28164359.jpg

2011-07-12141841.jpg

2011-07-12142028.jpg

2011-07-18111844.jpg

Sean-Nos

Petty Officer 1st Class

As the weather looks good I decided to do the fiberglassing, I first lay out the cloth and and let it settle over night
2011-09-27151035.jpg

2011-09-27151054.jpg

2011-09-28115101.jpg

2011-09-28145640.jpg

2011-10-05152828.jpg

Just doing one side at a time I am able to get 4 coats of resin on in a day with a 3 hour gap between each coat, when the boat is done it will be washed and sanded and given another filler coat or two before I paint and varnish it.

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander

Wow,...

That's going to look great when your done,.........

Status
Not open for further replies.