1961 Lonestar Flamingo - SPLASHED w/Pics

cedarlattice

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1962 Lonestar "Flamingo" - I finally Started w/pics

You do very nice work Wood. Be prepared for a lot of questions when/if I get to the interior. work

BobsGlasstream

Commander
Re: 1961 Lonestar "Flamingo" - I finally Started w/pics

Nice work wood,
I hope you had a great Christmas.
Bob

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

You do very nice work Wood. Be prepared for a lot of questions when/if I get to the interior. work

Nice work wood,
I hope you had a great Christmas.
Bob

Thanks for stopping by guys!!! Been at my Son and Daughters for 4 days over Christmas and just got back home. Off work till Jan 3rd so hope to get the Blue Flamingo's interior all done. We'll see how it goes. Hope both of you had a Great Christmas as well!!!

JDA1975

Lieutenant

Thanks for stopping by guys!!! Been at my Son and Daughters for 4 days over Christmas and just got back home. Off work till Jan 3rd so hope to get the Blue Flamingo's interior all done. We'll see how it goes. Hope both of you had a Great Christmas as well!!!

So what ya doing on the forums,,,get out to that shop and git er' dun! hope you enjoyed your Christmas, I know I sure did!

jbcurt00

Staff member

WOG,
Read the thread today, after spending some 'quality' time w/ a grinder on my floor. The front 6" of floor at the bow & 12" across the transom are all that's left. Need to do some grinding w/ a flap wheel along 1/2 of the floor/hull joint to get it smooth & flat.

The work is FANTASTIC on your flamingo. I really think the paint is great. I cut & pasted your paint recipe to a work document & saved it for future reference.

We have a sewing machine, not sure it will do marine vinyl, but the wife has agreed to try & sew it. I'm a ways off upholstery, but I'm keeping an eye out for couch cushions.

Thanks again for the main tips & tricks. Have a great week & a safe & happy new year. I look forward to your 2012 splash!

MrMartyr

Seaman

Hey Wood,

I found this thread in the Lonestar group forum just this morning, thanks for placing a link to it there for us to find.

I spent about two hours reading through and getting caught-up, it's been something of a page turner since about AUGUST. I just could not step away for fear that the next page would see that beauty getting wet!!

Great project and thread following it. It is really cool how regular posts along the path of a projects builds a story that takes on a life of it's own. Good stuff there.

As the story worked thru July, August....September...... and your comments reflected this past summer's heat wave I could certainly feel your pain, we live just north of Austin Tx and were simply scorching ALL SUMMER. We got something like 90+ concecutive above 100degrees, many (maybe most) 105+. Whew, glad to get that behind us.

Lots of good info in this thread, I plan to use the upolstry and probably even the paint portions as reference as I get into my own project (some day). Thanks again for this thread and all of your other contributions to iboats.

Good luck as you approach the end of this road, and get that pretty lady wet soon!

Marty R.
1956 Lonestar Clipper
Georgetown TX

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

WOG,
Read the thread today, after spending some 'quality' time w/ a grinder on my floor. The front 6" of floor at the bow & 12" across the transom are all that's left. Need to do some grinding w/ a flap wheel along 1/2 of the floor/hull joint to get it smooth & flat.

The work is FANTASTIC on your flamingo. I really think the paint is great. I cut & pasted your paint recipe to a work document & saved it for future reference.

We have a sewing machine, not sure it will do marine vinyl, but the wife has agreed to try & sew it. I'm a ways off upholstery, but I'm keeping an eye out for couch cushions.

Thanks again for the main tips & tricks. Have a great week & a safe & happy new year. I look forward to your 2012 splash!

I appreciate the kind words. I am kinda embarassed at how long it is taking. Seems like there are Sooooo many other things that pull me away from the project. I planned on getting a lot done during Christmas time off but I have caught a nasty cold and have been trying to recover. Thanks for stopping by.

Hey Wood,

I found this thread in the Lonestar group forum just this morning, thanks for placing a link to it there for us to find.

I spent about two hours reading through and getting caught-up, it's been something of a page turner since about AUGUST. I just could not step away for fear that the next page would see that beauty getting wet!!

Great project and thread following it. It is really cool how regular posts along the path of a projects builds a story that takes on a life of it's own. Good stuff there.

As the story worked thru July, August....September...... and your comments reflected this past summer's heat wave I could certainly feel your pain, we live just north of Austin Tx and were simply scorching ALL SUMMER. We got something like 90+ concecutive above 100degrees, many (maybe most) 105+. Whew, glad to get that behind us.

Lots of good info in this thread, I plan to use the upolstry and probably even the paint portions as reference as I get into my own project (some day). Thanks again for this thread and all of your other contributions to iboats.

Good luck as you approach the end of this road, and get that pretty lady wet soon!

Marty R.
1956 Lonestar Clipper
Georgetown TX

Nice to hear from another Lonestar owner!!!! When you start your project make sure and start a Thread here on iBoats. Lots of GREAT help here. I am pleased with the Paint but I guess until I splash and use her I won't know for sure. She sure looks nice sitting in the shop!:eek: I really enjoy the upholstery work. I plan on attempting sewing a new Bimini Cover as well as a Custom fit boat/Motor cover for her. We'lll see how that goes. I'll try to document those efforts too! Thanks for stopping by.

jbcurt00

Staff member

Yeah, we've been having a rough go with the BIG temp swing here lately, and I count myself lucky to have avoided getting sick thus far.

I have done some work too, but the weather has changed for the COLD & the MRS thinks the grinding FG smell is too much to not have the garage door open:facepalm:. I'm not getting as much done as I had hoped but, progress is progress....right

I have been searching for replacement cleats for mine, but got a couple of vintage LoneStar cleats that look like they'll fit design-wise pretty well. So the search continues for 2 more LoneStar or 3-4 Glastron matches.

Have speedy recovery & a great week....

lakelover

Rear Admiral

I plan on attempting sewing a new Bimini Cover as well as a Custom fit boat/Motor cover for her. We'lll see how that goes. I'll try to document those efforts too!

Well, Wood old buddy.......I'm still looking for a nice, custom-fit, quick-to-use, easy-to-mount cover for the Jet Star....:D

Why heck, you're just a year on this boat, that ain't nothin'!! ;)

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Actually LL, I bought her in December of 09' and started this thread in April of 2010, sooooo...if my okie-math is correct in April of this upcoming new year it will have taken me two years to splash a boat that did NOT need a "Gut Job" like many of the others that have done total gut jobs in 3 months. This gettin old business is not so great, but I ain't ready for no "Dirt Nap" either. Guess I'll just keep pluggin along. Good to hear from you my friend!!!

lakelover

Rear Admiral

Actually LL, I bought her in December of 09' and started this thread in April of 2010, sooooo...if my okie-math is correct...

Your math is better than mine. I checked back and saw your 4/10 post that you bought it in December, but I forgot to rewind to 2009. But you still have about 6 months to go before you catch up with me!

I don't like to call it gettin' old, I like to call it gettin' wise. Guys like you & me like to pace ourselves.

Hope you feel better soon!

Decker83

Commander

WOG,
Hope you get to feeling better real soon.

Just stopped by to see how you are doing.

Kent

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Thanks Decker,

Sitting here Coughing my head off!!!!! I did manage to cut the cover off my old bimini top today while the wife was visiting her sister but I'm payin for it now. Expended too much energy I guess. Wife is NOT happy with me at ALL!!!!! Says I'm Grounded from the boat till I go to the Dr. Guess she's right. Thanks for stoppin by.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Hey Wood, hope you get to feeling better!

TruckDrivingFool

Lieutenant Commander

Happy New Year!

Hopefully you'll be feeling better to start it off right and just remember ya can't rush quality.:)

JDA1975

Lieutenant

Get to feeling better Wood....I am the biggest culprit of working when I should be resting, and the recoup stage takes longer than the what I get done...so in essence I get less done than if I had just gotten better first!

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Well, I went to the Dr. and....I have Bronchitis, soo.... guess I have to be a good boy for a while. Maybe she'll let me do some upholstery work. Still got a little of that left to do, but I REALLY need to be in the shop building the seat frames and doing some glass work but don't think the fumes would be good with bronchitis. HMMMMM guess I'll follow everyones advice and just enjoy the coming of the New Year!!!!

------------------------------
happy_new_yeargif.gif

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Take care of yourself first, Wood. I know you want to work on the Flamingo, but get healthy first. The old gal will be waiting. She's been waiting since 1961 for you to do your magic, so a few extra days is nuttin'. Here's to a 2012 splash. :D Happy New Year.

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

You betcha Wood, take care so you can enjoy that Flamingo!
Best wishes for the coming year to you and your Family...
I'll definitely keep you in my prayers for a quick and complete recovery.
God Bless.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

Bronchitis....what a drag woodie.......hope your feeling better soon.....

a cure i use for that often......

take a 5 gallon pail of resin....(laminating or general....no wax)....remove the lid for the pail... place a towel over my head and cover the pail........stick my head in the pail.......and take about 5 good deep breaths....

when you wake up......you will be in the hospital.....(no worries ...its all part of the plan).....really cute nurses will bring you food and ice cream...people will bring your favourite boating magazines....
and the best part....is when the nurses apply vics vapo rub to your bare chest ! then they give you clean air to breath !(oxygen)

works like a charm....:D

just dropped by to tell you this.....

My Wish for You in 2012

May peace break into your home and may thieves come to steal your debts.

May the pockets of your jeans become a magnet for $100 bills.

May love stick to your face like Vaseline and may laughter assault your lips!

May happiness slap you across the face and may your tears be that of joy

May the problems you had, forget your home address!

In simple words ............

May 2012 be the best year of your life!!

Happy New Year!!