1961 Lonestar Flamingo - SPLASHED w/Pics

jbcurt00

Staff member
Re: 1961 Lonestar "Flamingo" - I finally Started w/pics

Looking good! Still holding out for dockside seating progress:), this too will come. It's my ADHD acting up.

Hope the weather holds up so you can get what you hope to done.

Have a good weekend!

Decker83

Commander

I can feel the itch looking at the second pic. Hope you don't stay up all night doing the itch dance.

Looking good and getting closer to splash.

I'm hoping we have some good weather down here this weekend.

Great vid also.:D

JDA1975

Lieutenant

"Note to Self: DON'T FORGET THE BABY POWDER NEXT TIME!!!!! I REALLY hate this itching!!!!!!!!"

Ya know, sometimes I forget what a blessing my disease is! with my loss of sensation I haven't had to deal with the itch ya all have!

jbcurt00

Staff member

Hey Judge, good to 'see' ya! ^^:)

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Glad to see you got some halfway decent weather to tear out the old bases...may the Sun shine for ya this weekend, so you can get the new bases 'glassed in...

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Well, did not get much done on Saturday and Sunday. I got a Surprise visit by my Grandkids. Had to make a decision BF or Grandkids. Wasn't even close!!!!! Weather is supposed to be stormy this week and I ain't complaining, our lakes are 10 ft below normal. I think I might try to start fabricating the Bimini Top. Not sure but maybe. I got it off the frame, just need to cut the seams and iron it out flat so I can make the patterns. If it's stormy all week I might give it a go. Hope everyone else had a productive weekend. I sure enjoyed playing with the Grandkids.:D

jbcurt00

Staff member

It's been awhile since I started reading the start of your thread, so I have 3 questions:

BF#1 came w/ the bimini top canvas & frame?

What are you sewing the top out of?

Liquid waterproofing after installation on the frame?

If you covered it already, I missed it!

Thanks

It's official: You're grandkid tested, and grandkid approved:cool: Glad you got to spend some time w/ 'em!

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

The Bimini it had was the Original Canvas. Totally NOT salvageable but able to make patterns from it. I bought 8 yds of this bimini material from an Ebay vendor...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/White-Acryl...390345332005?pt=US_Fabric&hash=item5ae2651525

It is very high quality material and I am really looking forward to working with it. I bought enuf to try and sew a boat cover for BF as well. That will have to wait until next winter. You tube has a Sailrite sewing video that shows how to sew the seams so they will be 100% waterproof. Hopefully I can do that. We'll see.

jbcurt00

Staff member

Sweet, sews like vinyl of a similar weight 10oz, that will be nice. Not only are we sewing boat cushions, and our own bimini tops, now we're sewing matching boat covers:facepalm:

:cool:More stamps of making it your own!

Thanks,

JDA1975

Lieutenant

The Bimini it had was the Original Canvas. Totally NOT salvageable but able to make patterns from it. I bought 8 yds of this bimini material from an Ebay vendor...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/White-Acryl...390345332005?pt=US_Fabric&hash=item5ae2651525

It is very high quality material and I am really looking forward to working with it. I bought enuf to try and sew a boat cover for BF as well. That will have to wait until next winter. You tube has a Sailrite sewing video that shows how to sew the seams so they will be 100% waterproof. Hopefully I can do that. We'll see.

post link to that video, I would like to see it!

jbcurt00

Staff member

Good video, watched 3 different. All good stuff. I don't think I'll be making a top from scratch, but, w/ a pattern it doesn't seem too much harder then the cushion vinyl. Lot's more measuring & lining up for even stitches in the right place.

Looking forward to seeing BF#1 w/ a top. But not necessary for a splash:cool:

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Nope, Bimini will ONLY be for Cold days when I can do nothing else. If it does not get done...Oh Well!!!:rolleyes:

Friscoboater

Captain

I think I am going to tackle a little of the interior stuff soon. Thanks for posting up all your advise.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

OH CARP!!!!!
http://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/boa/2843664352.html

I called this guy and he said He'll take $75 bucks. My wife is "Pitchin a Fit" about where I would put it and the fact that BF1 is still not Splashed. Being a life long Woodworker, I've wanted to build an All wood boat since I can remember. Not sure what overall condition this thing is in but if the hull is fairly solid, I'm thinkin this my be worth the "Dog House" for a while.

Am I dreamin or just as always just an....
OldDumbOkie.jpg

lakelover

Rear Admiral

That craft has nice lines! I even see the windshield sitting in there. You'd better tread lightly on your way to the dog house!

(Better buy your wife some flowers or something. Does she take bribes?)

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Yeah, I'm thinkin a nice Steak Dinner, Movie and Flowers!!!! That MIGHT shorten my stay in the Dog House!!!

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Yeah, some bribes...might work...then again, might not be a bad idea to start an addition to the doghouse...something with climate control, cable TV, fridge, you know the basics...:rolleyes:

rrumba

Ensign

Yeah, I'm thinkin a nice Steak Dinner, Movie and Flowers!!!! That MIGHT shorten my stay in the Dog House!!!

That should help to ease some of the pain, but that boat would be a nice addition. You could sleep in the Tinny, work on the woody then hot swap cots/boats and have the trifecta going

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Looks Like I'm out of the Dog House for now.
The wood boat turned out to be an Old I/O and was trashed. My SIL went and took a look for me. Glad I didn't waste the gas. No pics today, but I got a lot of sanding done with RO sander and 40 grit. The front 1/2 of the deck is sanded and wiped down and ready for glassing in the pedestals. If the weather and temps hold I might get that done tomorrow evening. Epoxy is a bit more forgiving than Poly. Removed the Windshield Bow Handle, Light and Horn in preparation to sand and repaint the chipped areas. I also removed the steering wheel when I discovered some unpainted areas, soo... she is pretty much dismantled again. Oh well, second time is a lot easier than the first.